Baked Chicken Thighs and Sweet Potatoes with Spinach in creamy Parmesan Sauce. Easy, gluten free recipe for skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs.
Chicken and Sweet Potatoes with Spinach in a creamy Parmesan Sauce – moist and tender chicken thighs smothered in a super creamy sauce. Great weeknight dinner recipe that a whole family will love! This recipe is a great choice if you’re looking for new ways to incorporate sweet potatoes into savory recipes.
Not only did I enjoy this dish for several nights this week, this chicken + sweet potatoes will make a great holiday recipe, too, and will look great on your Thanksgiving dinner table! Either way, it’s a great recipe during the Fall/Winter season, when the sweet potatoes abound, and when you want cozy comfort food on those cold nights.
How to cook chicken thighs and sweet potatoes
Start by browning chicken thighs on the skillet on the stove top:
Chop up the sweet potatoes and add them to the 9 x 13 baking dish:
Add creamy Parmesan sauce + spinach:
Add chicken thighs on top:
Bake for about 40 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and the potatoes are tender:
Chicken and Sweet Potatoes with Spinach baked in creamy Parmesan Sauce. Easy, gluten free recipe for skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs.
- 6 chicken thighs , skin-on, bone-in
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup Parmesan , shredded
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 oz baby spinach
- 2 sweet potatoes large, cut in 1 inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 F.
- Generously season both sides of chicken thighs with salt and pepper.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add in the the chicken thighs, skin side down.
- Fry the chicken until the skin is very crisp, about 5 minutes. Then, flip the chicken over to the other side, turn off the heat and let the chicken brown on the other side, off heat, uncovered. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside. Drain the fat from the pan, clean it, and place back on the stove.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in the same pan, add minced garlic, and cook, stirring until garlic is fragrant, about 30 or 45 seconds. Add 1 cup half and half to the pan. Bring to boil. Add shredded Parmesan cheese, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and stir to melt. Immediately reduce to simmer. Add fresh spinach on top of the sauce, cover with the lid, and remove the pan from the heat - let the spinach wilt on its own, off heat, covered. If the sauce is too thick, add a little bit more of half and half. Stir the spinach in the sauce.
- In the mean time, cut sweet potatoes into 1 inch cubes.
- Grease the bottom of 9x13 baking pan with 1 tablespoon butter. Place cubed sweet potatoes evenly on the bottom of the pan. Pour the creamy Parmesan and spinach sauce on top. Add chicken thighs on top, skin side up.
- Bake the chicken in the oven at 400 F for about 40 minutes, uncovered, or until the potatoes and the chicken thighs are cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and serve.