Breakfast Tartlets with Bacon, Spinach and Eggs - French style breakfast! Each homemade savory mini tart shell is stuffed with bacon, Gouda cheese, spinach, and then topped with an egg! The recipe makes 6 breakfast tartlets.
Just like my other breakfast tartlets with spinach and grape tomatoes from a couple of weeks ago, these are very easy to make, provided you prepare the dough for tart shells in advance, because, although tart shells are super easy to make, the tart dough has to sit in the refrigerator for a couple of hours to be flaky. So you have to plan for those couple of hours (or overnight if it's more convenient - I personally like to prepare tart dough a day in advance and keep it covered and refrigerated overnight). The super flaky tart crust is well worth it. Breakfast Eggs baked in mini tart shells definitely make an impression. The individual serving size also makes it convenient to serve.
These Breakfast Tartlets with Bacon, Spinach and Eggs are beautiful and they make an impressive breakfast! Do keep in mind that making your own tartlet shells from scratch does take some time - so, plan accordingly. Here is the recipe for savory tartlet crust that you will use for these breakfast tartlets - check it out before starting to make these.
Pre-made tartlet shells:
Tartlet shells with spinach and Gouda cheese filling
Crack an egg over each tart shell:
Breakfast Tartlets with Bacon, Spinach and Eggs
Ingredients for 6 tartlets (mini tart shells):
- 1 ½ cups flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 9 tablespoons unsalted butter cold
- 1 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon ice water
Ingredients for filling:
- 1 egg
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup milk
- ⅓ cup Gouda cheese , shredded
- 4 slices bacon , already cooked and chopped
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 oz spinach
- 6 eggs
- salt to taste
How to make tartlets (6 mini tart shells, 3 inch diameter each):
- Prepare savory tart crust using the recipe and the method described in my recipe here. The only thing different here will be the size of tart pan: instead of using one large tart pan, use 6 smaller individual tartlet pans (3 inch diameter each). Bake empty smaller tart shells for about 20 minutes. You don’t need to bake them to brown or golden color, because you will continue baking them once you put the filling in.
How to make breakfast filling:
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Cook spinach in olive oil for 10-15 minutes on medium heat until wilted. Salt to taste. Let it cool. Make sure to drain any liquid resulting from cooking spinach.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1 egg, heavy cream, milk. Add shredded cheese, bacon (cooked and chopped finely), and salt and mix well.
- Divide spinach into 6 equal parts and place each spinach portion in each of the 3″ tartlet shells, that you pre-baked in step 1. Divide the egg mixture from step 3 into 6 equal parts and pour each portion over spinach into each of 6 tartlets.
- Crack an egg over each mini tart shell (6 eggs for 6 tartlets in this recipe). Season with salt, pepper.
- Bake these tartlets for 20-30 minutes, until tart shell is golden brown and eggs are almost set.
- Remove from oven and let it cool for 10 minutes on wire rack before serving.
The nutritional information on this website is only an estimate and is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed. It should not be used as a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
I can't wait to make these! I saw your black bean and butternut squash enchilada casserole on Pinterest and pinned it, of course 🙂 That's how I found your blog. Where did you buy the tart pan? I'd love to get one like that!! Thanks!!