Creamy Asiago Cheese Garlic Tortellini

creamy pasta recipe, tortellini recipes, tortellini sauce recipe, easy weeknight dinner

Creamy Asiago Cheese Garlic Tortellini – tortellini smothered in a creamy Asiago cheese sauce, the recipe takes only 30 minutes from start to finish! A perfect and easy pasta dish – easy enough to make on a regular weeknight, but it tastes like pasta from a fancy Italian restaurant. Asiago cheese is very flavorful and perfect for cheese tortellini. And, garlic makes everything better!

how to cook tortellini, easy tortellini recipes, pasta dinners, easy pasta recipes

I like to use (and highly recommend) the refrigerated kind of tortellini. For this recipe, I bought a 20 oz bag of tortellini, and used 1/2 of the bag – which equaled to 2 and 1/2 cups of uncooked tortellini.

tortellini recipes, tortellini sauce recipe, creamy pasta recipes, pasta dinners, pasta recipes

MY OTHER VIDEOS

While any creamy cheese-based sauce is best served right after you make it, if you do have the leftovers – you can easily reheat the tortellini + Asiago cream sauce by adding a small amount of milk as you reheat the sauce on the stove top.

how to cook tortellini, best pasta recipes, easy pasta recipes

Enjoy your dinner!

creamy tortellini with cheese sauce, best tortellini recipes, best pasta recipes, pasta dinners

Creamy Asiago Cheese Garlic Tortellini

Creamy Asiago Cheese Garlic Tortellini

• 2 and 1/2 cups tortellini (refrigerated kind) - 10 oz (half of 20 oz bag)
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 1/2 tablespoon butter
  • 5 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1/2 cup vegetarian no-chicken broth (or chicken broth)
  • 1 cup Asiago cheese, grated
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt (approximately, to taste)
  • fresh parsley, chopped

1. Cook tortellini according to package instructions, rinse with cold water and drain.
  2. Heat olive oil and butter on medium heat in a large skillet, add minced garlic and cook for about 1 minute on medium heat, stirring, without burning.
  3. Add vegetarian broth and heavy cream to the skillet with cooked garlic. Bring to boil, stirring. Once the liquids are boiling, immediately add cheese, reduce heat to medium simmer, and keep stirring everything together, on medium simmer, until cheese melts - about 1 minute. If the cheese lumps - increase heat and keep stirring at all times, until it melts. Reduce to very low simmer, add salt. I usually add 1/8 teaspoon of salt, taste the sauce, and then add another 1/8 teaspoon of salt if needed. (Do not add all of 1/4 teaspoon of salt right away - taste first). If sauce is too thick, add more broth to thin it out.
  4. Add cooked tortellini, and continue to cook, constantly stirring, to thicken the sauce - for another minute.
  5. To serve, top each serving with finely chopped fresh parsley
  6. NOTE: I have updated the recipe on 12/17/2016 to reflect the concerns in the comments.

PINTEREST | FACEBOOK | GOOGLE+ | TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | BLOGLOVIN\’

• Kayle (The Cooking Actress) May 19, 2016, 8:06 pm

mmm this pasta is total creamy flavorful perfection!

• Julia July 1, 2016, 11:35 pm

Thank you! 🙂

• Harpreet May 25, 2016, 9:58 am

This is also the dumplings? Good special, I’ve eaten Nepal and Chinese dumplings, but nothing like this shape.

• Stacey July 27, 2016, 11:43 pm

The flavor of this was great. My only problem was that my asiago cheese melted, but it didn’t meld with the cream and broth to become a creamy sauce. It just had a bunch of melted cheese in the liquid. It was still great, but I don’t think that is what it was supposed to be like, correct? I did double the recipe and followed the directions exactly, but for whatever reason the sauce didn’t come out right. That said, the fam still really liked it and I will definitely give it a go again another time.

• Natalie August 30, 2016, 8:54 pm

Mine too did not thicken. It was just liquid. Any suggestions? I followed the recipe.

• Valerie September 10, 2016, 7:19 pm

I hard trouble with the sauce getting thick, too. I let the whole thing simmer for a while longer. Next time I would reduce the cream and broth more before adding the cheese, and then reduce it even further before adding the tortellini . I did add a little more cheese, just to use it up. I thought it tasted really good.

• Rose October 18, 2017, 10:46 pm

I too had an issue with my sauce not thickening. I should have known better, you always need a roux when making a cream sauce but I thought what the heck I’ll follow the recipe and i ended up having to add some corn starch to my sauce to thicken it. Y’all always need roux when making a cream sauce. To the butter and garlic and olive oil I would add a tiny bit of flour like a 1/2 a teaspoon or such.

• Julia October 31, 2017, 6:13 pm

You can certainly make a roux for a cream sauce. However, I always just heat the skillet, add butter, olive oil, and garlic, cook then a little bit, then add liquids to the hot skillet, bring everything to boil and add shredded cheese to the simmering liquids, stirring until the cheese melts. It always works for me.

• KMLWPA September 5, 2016, 1:08 pm

I had the same problem as a couple of others here- my sauce never came together. The cheese melted and stuck to the bottom of the skillet and never melded with the cream & broth mixture. Tasted good, looked like hell. Also, my Asiago was plenty salty, even for a salt fiend like myself, so no added salt was needed.

• Danielle September 13, 2016, 4:05 pm

My kids totally loved this, my son even said “your the best cook ever”, which was great coming from my picky preschooler. We had the same issues with the sauce not thickening but based on the pix above the sauce seems pretty thin. However, I would like to know how to better get the cheese to blend, because I ended up with melted cheese clumps too.

• Julia December 17, 2016, 7:03 pm

Hi Danielle,
      Make sure to bring the heavy cream + broth mixture to boil before adding the cheese. After adding the cheese, reduce heat to low-medium simmer, and keep stirring the sauce, all the time, until it melts. If it’s clumpy, increase the heat and keep stirring. I think the reason the cheese is not melting is because the pan and the liquids are not heated enough. Hope this helps for your next try. 🙂

• John Scoates January 26, 2017, 7:23 pm

all Asiago chesse is not the same. some won’t incorporate into a sauce no matter what you do, others will will do just fine. boars head is a good melting style of Asiago. I know this from experience.

• Julia January 30, 2017, 11:42 pm

Probably true. I haven’t tried all types of Asiago cheese – I am sure some are drier than others. I do know from my experience, that it’s really important to make sure the cream/broth liquid is hot enough before adding the cheese. Also, it’s an important step to cook minced garlic in olive oil and butter for 1 minute before even adding the cream and the broth – it adds fats to the mixture and also helps heat the cooking pan even more.

• Erica September 13, 2016, 5:03 pm

Can you answer the above questions about the creaminess of the cheese? Because I have the same question, why is the Asiago cheese not really combining with the cream/broth liquid, it’s just lumpy cheese with a liquid froth.. I was a cheesy creamy substance!

• Julia December 17, 2016, 7:00 pm

Erica,
      I think the problem might be that the cream/broth liquid was not hot enough for cheese to combine properly. Make sure to bring the heavy cream + broth to boil before adding cheese, then immediately reduce heat to low-medium simmer. Keep stirring the sauce, once the cheese is in the sauce, until it is nicely melted.

• Christine September 19, 2016, 7:57 pm

I had the same issue as the last two comments – cheese melted, but never thickened, and instead became clumps of asiago in a thin sauce. Any suggestions on getting it to combine and meld?

• Julia December 17, 2016, 6:58 pm

Christine, did you bring the heavy cream + broth to boil before adding cheese, then reduce heat to low-medium simmer? The cheese might clump if the liquids are not hot enough to begin with. And once the cheese is in the sauce, keep stirring, while it simmers until it is nicely melted.

• Jennifer October 18, 2016, 8:52 pm

Mine was a soupy mess and the cheese stuck to the bottom of the pa . If anyone has any ideas on how to thicken the sauce would be greatly appreciated.

• Julia December 17, 2016, 6:56 pm

Did you bring the heavy cream + broth to boil before adding cheese? And kept stirring the cheese in the sauce until it is nicely melted, so that it didn’t stick to the bottom of the pan?

• Amy November 12, 2016, 8:48 pm

My sauce was not thickening either! I used shredded Asiago instead or grated and it melted perfectly but after I added the tortellini and let it simmer for a while it would not thicken! I ended up adding the rest of the cheese I had (5oz total -1 3/4cups) hoping that would help but it still was very soupy. I threw in about a tablespoon of flour and that did the trick! I let it simmer a few more minutes stirring occasionally then let it set another couple minutes. So yummy!! Next time I’ll try adding the flour when I add the cream and broth and see if that works even better!

• Julia December 17, 2016, 6:53 pm

Thank you for the feedback! Did you use heavy cream or lighter cream? With 1 cup of heavy cream + 1 cup broth + 1 cup grated cheese, the sauce should thicken just right. Looks like you found a great solution and everything worked!

• Jake December 7, 2016, 12:09 am

Same issue here. Too much liquid resulting in a taste soup but alas, no creamy cheese sauce as was expected. Never saw a response to the inquiries above so I’m not expecting one now. I did find a similar recipe for the same dish with very different cooking directions that I will try next time. Good reminder lesson to read the comments before cooking. Time to delete this recipe!

• Christine Titus December 11, 2016, 10:18 am

This recipe is quite yummy! The only thing I suggest, is to use 2 jars of Alfredo sauce. In my opinion, using one jar, it came out too dry and really needed a second jar. Thankfully I was able to fix this pretty quickly, because I had everything on hand to make my own Alfredo sauce. Also, I opted for the chicken broth over the vegetarian broth just because that’s what I usually have on hand. Perfect weeknight “Meatless Monday” meal, completed with a tossed salad using baby spinach in place of lettuce.

• Kate Crespo-DeZerga December 14, 2016, 12:06 am

Made this and it was soo good… I am now going to try using gnocchi… Can’t wait!
    Thank you!

• Julia December 17, 2016, 6:50 pm

Delicious choice!

• Kate December 14, 2016, 4:07 pm

I made this last week…came out so good that I am making it tonight except I’m using gnocchi.

• Julia December 17, 2016, 6:32 pm

Thank you, Kate, I am glad you enjoyed it! Gnocchi in a creamy sauce sounds delicious!

• Lisa January 5, 2017, 5:43 pm

I just made this tonight and all I can say is OMG! It is absolutely delicious!!! Very easy to make and the cheese sauce came out perfect. No issues with clumps. I will never buy jar alfredo sauce again lol After it was done I chopped up some broccoli florets (which I partially cooked in the microwave) and added them. There was plenty of cheese sauce to coat everything.
    Thank you so much for this wonderful recipe! I will be making it often.

• Julia January 31, 2017, 1:36 pm

Thank you, Lisa, great to hear that you liked this recipe! Broccoli is always such a great addition to creamy sauce + pasta!

• Linnea January 18, 2017, 12:51 pm

For everyone having problems with the cheese I’ve figured out a method that works for me. I let the cream and broth to boil for a few minutes so that the whole pan is the same temp. Then I grated my cheese before I started cooking and I used the smallest holes to grate it so it was really paper thin strings. And I took 1/4 cup at a time and sprinkled it evenly across the pan. Then stirred it while still boiling and repeated the process until I got enough cheese and it went perfect! Hope this helps !

• Julia January 31, 2017, 2:26 am

Great tips, Linnea! Thank you for taking your time to write such a detailed comment with tips on how to make the sauce! Yes, it’s very important to make sure both the pan and the liquids in the pan are really hot. It is also important to cook the minced garlic in butter and olive oil as the first step – that helps to heat the pan and it also adds fats to the sauce which will help with cheese melting nicely. 🙂

• Chance January 22, 2017, 12:57 am

Does using heavy whipping cream vs heavy cream change the outcome?

thanks

• Julia January 31, 2017, 1:54 am

Heavy whipping cream and heavy cream work the same in this kind of sauce.

• Tonya March 6, 2017, 8:08 pm

Mix some cornstarch and broth to thicken it up works perfect! Yummy! Way better then any jar! Thank you

• Julia March 11, 2017, 12:14 am

Thank you for the tip! Yes, cornstarch is always great for thickening the sauces, even though I prefer just to use cheese and half and half.

• Sheena March 7, 2017, 6:17 pm

I made this today. I would recommend maybe only using 1/2 cup of the heavy cream to make it thicker. I slowly poured in the cheese while stirring and had no problems with clumping. Mine didn’t look as neat as the picture but still tasted good. I also added some shredded chicken.

• Julia March 11, 2017, 12:06 am

Thank you, Sheena! I am glad you liked it! 🙂 Shredded chicken is a great addition to make it more of a complete meal for meat lovers!

• Alex March 14, 2017, 8:38 pm

Made this tonight and added sausage. It was so good! I will be trying it with chicken next.

• Julia March 14, 2017, 11:00 pm

Thank you, Alex! I am glad you liked it! Good to know that sausage tastes good in this recipe. 🙂

• Stephie June 6, 2017, 8:38 am

Making this even after your edits, and following the recipe to a T, my cheese still clumped up and separated from the sauce. Cooking and stirring continuously only made the situation worse. There seems to be something affecting the outcome of everyone’s attempts, but I can’t put my finger on it. The issues with the sauce don’t make this dish any less tasty though so I plan to make again and try to figure out what I can do to make the sauce come together. 🙂

• Marie August 30, 2017, 10:55 pm

Absolutely delicious sauce, but I had the same problem with clumping. I did have the liquid boiling before adding the cheese and it was mixing well until I lowered the temp. I used a block of asiago, which I grated myself. Next time, I’ll try it with a commercially grated cheese as they have a flour coating, which would also help thicken the sauce a bit, and if that fails, I’ll try a powdered cheese (like the cans of Parmesan), because this sauce has amazing flavor!

• Julia November 3, 2017, 5:59 pm

If it clumped when you lowered the temperature, raise the temperature again (to boiling point), add more heavy cream or chicken or vegetable broth to thin the sauce, and keep stirring (while on high temperature) until the clump melts.