Mashed potatoes with bacon

Mashed potatoes with bacon, recipe mashed potatoes, how to make mashed potatoes, best mashed potatoes, loaded mashed potatoes with bacon

Have you ever met anyone who doesn’t like mashed potatoes? It’s my favorite side dish to go with grilled steak.  It’s especially great with flank steak.  This is the recipe I ALWAYS use for mashed potatoes, this time I just decided to add some bacon to dress it up – I was wowed by the combined flavor of creamy mashed potatoes and bacon.  Definitely try this sometime!  It’s gluten free, too!

I always make my mashed potatoes by boiling unpeeled potatoes and peeling them AFTER they are cooked. I always prefer this method vs. boiling peeled tomatoes, because I’ve never ever encountered a problem of “soupy” mashed potatoes using my method. By boiling the potatoes unpeeled, they remain pretty much whole and intact, which makes the process of draining them from all the water pretty easy and effective.   If you boil peeled potatoes chunks (like most recipes suggest), potatoes tend to get much more watery and draining them could be challenging.

I love using half & half vs. milk because it makes potatoes less grainy and more creamy than if you used milk.

MY OTHER VIDEOS

After you boil the unpeeled potatoes, let them cool before peeling, or run them under cold water when they are still hot and peel them while running under cold water. Mash them slightly in a large mixing bowl, using potato masher. Melt butter, add butter first and mash it in. Then, heat up half & half until hot but not boiling and add gradually (not all amount at once). Add half and half gradually, constantly mashing, until you reach the desired consistency and texture.  Top mashed potatoes with chopped cooked bacon and chopped green onions!

Mashed potatoes with bacon

Mashed potatoes with bacon

• 2 lb potatoes, unpeeled, washed
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1/2 to 1 cup half and half
  • 1 teaspoon salt (more to taste)
  • 7 or 8 strips of cooked bacon, chopped
  • For garnish:
  • green onions, chopped

1. Place unpeeled potatoes in a large saucepan. Fill the saucepan with water to cover potatoes. Bring to boil and simmer for about 30 or more minutes until potatoes are done and can be easily pierced with a fork.
  2. Drain potatoes from water, let the cool and then peel. Or, alternatively, peel each hot potato under the cold running water.
  3. Place peeled potatoes into a large mixing bowl. Using a potato masher, mash them slightly. Then, melt butter and add it to the potatoes, continuing to mash. Heat up half and half on the stove top or in microwave until hot but not boiling - add to the mashed potatoes, continuing to mash. Do not add all half & half at once - start by adding 1/2 cup half and half, then add more if needed, to achieve the desired texture.
  4. Top mashed potatoes with chopped bacon and green onions. Or, mix those right in!

• Consuelo @ Honey & Figs March 21, 2014, 7:01 pm

Mashed potatoes and bacon? *drools* This looks amazing! And thanks for the helpful tips Julia : )

• Matt @ Runner Savvy March 21, 2014, 7:56 pm

Yes please! Everything is better with bacon 😉

• Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen March 21, 2014, 8:08 pm

Gorgeous potatoes, Julia! I agree with you about “soupy” potatoes when boiling peeled potatoes. Boiling unpeeled is the way to go. Excellent tip for new cooks and a reminder for us all. 🙂 Thanks for sharing and have a fabulous weekend. Pinned!

• Angie (@angiesrecipess) March 22, 2014, 10:37 am

An ultimate comfort food! Bacon makes everything taste so much better!

• Lindsey @ American Heritage Cooking March 22, 2014, 12:42 pm

Are there people who don’t like mashed potatoes? I bet that even mashed potato haters would love your bacon mashed potatoes!!! When has the addition of bacon ever been a mistake? Beautiful photos as always, Julia!

• Jill @ Vintage Kitchen March 22, 2014, 5:38 pm

Hi Julia, It’s Jill from Jilly Inspired only I finally started a new food blog, Vintage Kitchen. It’s so much more user friendly and streamlined. Nicer graphics too. Keeping it simple is my new motto. Vintage Kitchen is comfort food with a twist, just like your delicious mashed potatoes. I love potatoes in any form! These look incredible as are all your recipes! I hope you’ll come visit me on my new blog. I’m planning to get much better at reaching out to other food bloggers and leave comments on their recipes. I’ve always loved your site. http://vintagekitchenrecipes.wordpress.com/

• Monica March 23, 2014, 8:24 am

Such an interesting tip about boiling the potatoes with the skins on! I need to try that. I love potatoes in all ways and this looks so good with the bacon and scallions! Delicious!

• Sarah & Arkadi March 23, 2014, 11:04 pm

wow! a bowl of comfort!

• Elaine March 23, 2014, 11:55 pm

Julia,
    This mashed potato looks so yummy. We have lots of mashed potato recipes too in China. And we have one mashed potato with Chinese sausage, which is quite similar with this recipe. And it is really yummy! I love the match so much!

• Judit + Corina March 24, 2014, 12:57 pm

This gourmet mashed potato looks so heavenly! Love the creamy decadence and with the crispy bacon:)
    Cheers,
    J+C

• Chris @ The Café Sucré Farine March 24, 2014, 7:19 pm

I’m such a sucker for mashed potatoes and these look amazing Julia. This could be the whole meal for me!

• [email protected] March 26, 2014, 4:42 pm

Two recipes with bacon in a row? I’m in heaven! Love the tip to boil the potatoes with their skins on. Will be trying that!

• Cathy April 21, 2014, 3:03 pm

This is very similar to a dish that I make on St. Patrick’s Day…and a few times a year. It is called Colcannon. I have the recipe posted on Pinterest and Just A Pinch. Bacon is not traditionally added, but who would want to leave it out???
    Thank you for this recipe! Your photography is beautiful!