Breakfast sandwich: scrambled eggs, asparagus, and goat cheese

Breakfast sandwich: scrambled eggs, asparagus, and goat cheese

Today, I am very excited to share with you a very simple yet super delicious breakfast recipe perfect for a lazy Sunday morning! It’s a breakfast sandwich made with scrambled eggs, roasted asparagus and melted goat cheese. If you haven’t tried this simple combination of ingredients before – this recipe is your chance to finally do so, and it might soon become one of your breakfast favorites, too!

Breakfast sandwich: scrambled eggs, asparagus, and goat cheese

It’s not a coincidence that I am posting this recipe on Sunday morning, because on Sundays I usually want a nice breakfast but I don’t want to slave over it. This sandwich is super easy to make, and it’s so delicious with perfectly scrambled eggs (they are so fluffy thanks to half-and-half!), melted goat cheese (YUM!) and roasted asparagus on top – all of that in between 2 slices of toasted bread!

Breakfast sandwich: scrambled eggs, asparagus, and goat cheese

Breakfast sandwich: scrambled eggs, asparagus, and goat cheese

This sandwich combines so many good things together! I often make it if I have grilled the asparagus the night before and have leftovers – so I use the already cooked asparagus, which makes the recipe even easier. However, even if you didn’t grill the asparagus the night before, you can easily and quickly roast asparagus in the oven or on the stove top – instructions are below. Enjoy!

Breakfast sandwich: scrambled eggs, asparagus, and goat cheese

Breakfast sandwich: scrambled eggs, asparagus, and goat cheese

Total time: 30 minutes

Ingredients:

• 2 or 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 pound asparagus
  • 8 eggs
  • 1/4 cup Half and Half
  • 8 ounces goat cheese
  • 8 bread slices (whole grain or whole wheat)

Makes 4 servings (4 sandwiches)

1) To roast asparagus: Pre-heat the oven to 400 Fahrenheit. Trim ends of the asparagus. In a large bowl, toss asparagus with olive oil. Line a baking sheet with foil and place the asparagus on a baking sheet in a single layer. Season with salt and pepper. Roast the asparagus for 15 minutes: when it’s done, it should be soft but crunchy. Alternatively, if you don’t want to turn on the oven, you can roast asparagus in a large frying pan on stove top for 10 minutes.

2) To make eggs: Whisk eggs with half and half until nice and fluffy. Spray a large skillet with non-stick spray, heat on medium heat, add whisked eggs and cook, on medium heat, stirring all the time using a heat-proof spatula or a wooden spoon. Cook until eggs are cooked through but are still soft and fluffy, not hardened. Sprinkle goat cheese on top of the scrambled eggs. Cover the skillet with the lid and remove from heat.

3) Toast bread slices.

4) Assemble sandwiches as follows: to make 4 sandwiches, place 4 toasted bread slices on a working surface. Add 1/4 of scrambled eggs (with melted goat cheese on top) on top of each bread slice. Top scrambled eggs with roasted asparagus (whole, or sliced in halves or quarters). Top with the remaining slice of bread or serve them as open sandwiches!

MY BEST BOARDS ON PINTEREST:

I collect the most popular & repinned recipes on this PINTEREST board:
Follow my PUMPKIN board on Pinterest

It’s a PUMPKIN SEASON! Check out my PUMPKIN board on PINTEREST:
Follow my PUMPKIN board on Pinterest

If you love PASTA, see amazing recipes on my PASTA Board on PINTEREST:
Follow my PASTA board on Pinterest

• Monique September 8, 2013, 9:17 am

I don’t know why..but there is such a cozy feeling about this.. bright.. and comforting.
    I think you are a nice family:)Could be the perfect toasts:)

• Noel September 8, 2013, 10:55 am

hmmm … this seems a lot healthier than the waffle w/ black cherry syrup that I ate. Love your photos, as always! Nice Job!

• marcie@flavorthemoments September 8, 2013, 11:02 am

I’m with you about wanting a nice breakfast without working too hard, and this fits the bill perfectly! I love asparagus, so that is a great addition for me!

• Deb September 8, 2013, 1:38 pm

Love this recipe! I often begin breakfast the night before. Why rush about in the morning if you don’t need to? Asparagus and goat cheese with eggs on toast is a splendid way to begin any day! Fast, yet full of outstanding flavor!

• Bread & Companatico September 8, 2013, 2:31 pm

what a great idea Julia, just my type of breakfast: easy, tasty, and healthy.

• john@kitchenriffs September 8, 2013, 3:45 pm

Lovely combo of flavors. I’ve tried scrambled eggs and asparagus before, but never thought to add goat cheese. Terrific idea! Thanks.

• veganmiam.com September 8, 2013, 4:14 pm

The roasted asparagus sound so yummy for sandwiches. I would love to make some tofu scramble sandwich with these! Thanks for the inspiration!

• Tash September 8, 2013, 5:30 pm

Hello Julia :)

Ooooh, this looks lovely! I love goat’s cheese and asparagus together, and eggs and asparagus together but had never thought of putting them together in one dish. I had scrambled eggs this morning as I have been really craving them recently and even though I usually prefer poached eggs, I find scrambled eggs so comforting and tasty. Yum :) I must admit, I do miss having our own hens as they were not only a source of constant humour but also the finest eggs!

• Matt @ The Athlete's Plate September 8, 2013, 7:47 pm

This is right up my alley!

• Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen September 8, 2013, 9:20 pm

Looks delish, Julia! We are all about prepping in advance to get in and out of the kitchen when you’re hungry…especially for weekend brekkie. Excellent flavor combo…cannot wait to try. Thanks for sharing!

• The Café Sucre Farine September 8, 2013, 9:37 pm

This looks like the BEST breakfast! I think Feta would be quite yummy too!

• Medeja September 9, 2013, 4:10 am

I love the taste of goat cheese, but that smell is just crazy :D

• Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com September 9, 2013, 8:04 am

I love your combination of asparagus and eggs – what a lovely sunday morning breakfast idea! Thank you -I think it would be an awesome Monday night dinner idea too ;)

• Angie@Angie's Recipes September 9, 2013, 8:30 am

This is TERRIFIC for my dinner! I love all the flavours.

• Denise Browning@From Brazil To You September 9, 2013, 9:12 am

What a great breakfast to have, Julia!!!!! Eggs and goat cheese make this amazing!

• Ashley September 9, 2013, 9:32 am

Yum! I love roasted asparagus and goat cheese…. and with eggs on a sandwich? Even better. This is going to have to happen soon in my kitchen … or even for a quick weeknight meal : )

• Krista September 9, 2013, 6:52 pm

This looks absolutely divine. :-) I love simple, savory, yet hearty breakfasts like this. :-)

• Diana September 10, 2013, 11:15 am

That’s a great way to start a Sunday ;). It looks delicious and I love asparagus. Nice pics, too

• Christin@SpicySouthernKitchen September 10, 2013, 12:03 pm

What a wonderful way to use up leftover grilled asparagus. Going to remember this recipe next time I make some! :)

• Kiran @ KiranTarun.com September 13, 2013, 11:17 am

I’m loving all the breakfast sandwich ingredients!! Mouth-watering :)