My most favorite Summer desserts are always baked with berries or fruit, such as this bundt cake, these delicious mixed berry muffins, or this easy apple-plum tart. Then, there is another category of desserts where no baking is required and where you can create an endless number of combinations, – I am talking about crepes made on the stove top. They can serve as a base for some of the most versatile desserts, stuffed with all types of delicious fillings, from creamy and chocolate to fresh fruit and berries. And, depending on how sweet you want to make the filling, crepes can serve as both breakfast and dessert.
I had some extra kiwi in the refrigerator and, having read on the internet that kiwis are similar in flavor to strawberries, I decided to combine the two (plus blueberries), mix them with some sweetened ricotta cheese and fold all of that inside the crepe.
Yum, yum, yum! In literally 15 minutes (I made crepes in advance) I had a delicious and colorful dessert which will make a graceful addition to any summer menu! Feel free to make these stuffed crepes more or less sweet by using more or less honey (or agave nectar) in ricotta cheese filling. I find that the less sweetener I use for ricotta cheese (or not use any at all), the more I can call this recipe a breakfast. 🙂 The more sweetener I use, the more it transforms into a refined French-style dessert. Keep in mind that agave nectar is very sweet, so you would need much less agave vs. honey. I personally prefer to use agave nectar to sweeten ricotta cheese, because 1 tablespoon of agave makes 1/2 cup of ricotta cheese pretty sweet and gives ricotta cheese a nice texture. I also like the flavor of agave-sweetened ricotta cheese much better than if I sweeten the ricotta with honey.
Once the crepe filling is made, put the sweetened ricotta cheese in the middle of an open crepe, add berries and kiwi, then just fold both sides of crepes to create a tube shape. Alternatively, you can just fold crepe in half, then fold it one more time to create a triangle, like in this recipe.
Enjoy this very easy Summer treat (especially if you pre-made the crepes)!
Dessert crepes with ricotta cheese, berries, and kiwi
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 15 min
- Homemade crepes (detailed tutorial with photos here)
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar (or 2 tablespoons honey)
- strawberries, cleaned and sliced
- kiwi, peeled and sliced
Makes 4 servings
1) Heat ricotta cheese and agave nectar in a small skillet on medium-high and keep mixing it until the mixture becomes liquid and of even consistency. Remove from heat and let it cool. Once it cools a bit, the mixture would become more solid, which is what we want.
2) To serve: add 2 tablespoons of agave-ricotta cheese mixture on top of the open crepe, add some sliced strawberries, blueberries and sliced kiwi, fold the crepe in half. Sprinkled with powdered sugar if desired. Ready to serve!