Dessert crepes with ricotta cheese, berries, and kiwi

Dessert crepes with ricotta cheese, berries, and kiwi

My most favorite Summer desserts are always baked with berries or fruit, such as this bundt cake, these delicious mixed berry muffins, or this easy apple-plum tart. Then, there is another category of desserts where no baking is required and where you can create an endless number of combinations, – I am talking about crepes made on the stove top. They can serve as a base for some of the most versatile desserts, stuffed with all types of delicious fillings, from creamy and chocolate to fresh fruit and berries. And, depending on how sweet you want to make the filling, crepes can serve as both breakfast and dessert.

Dessert crepes with ricotta cheese, berries, and kiwi

I had some extra kiwi in the refrigerator and, having read on the internet that kiwis are similar in flavor to strawberries, I decided to combine the two (plus blueberries), mix them with some sweetened ricotta cheese and fold all of that inside the crepe.

Dessert crepes with ricotta cheese, berries, and kiwi

Yum, yum, yum! In literally 15 minutes (I made crepes in advance) I had a delicious and colorful dessert which will make a graceful addition to any summer menu! Feel free to make these stuffed crepes more or less sweet by using more or less honey (or agave nectar) in ricotta cheese filling. I find that the less sweetener I use for ricotta cheese (or not use any at all), the more I can call this recipe a breakfast. :) The more sweetener I use, the more it transforms into a refined French-style dessert. Keep in mind that agave nectar is very sweet, so you would need much less agave vs. honey. I personally prefer to use agave nectar to sweeten ricotta cheese, because 1 tablespoon of agave makes 1/2 cup of ricotta cheese pretty sweet and gives ricotta cheese a nice texture. I also like the flavor of agave-sweetened ricotta cheese much better than if I sweeten the ricotta with honey.

Dessert crepes with ricotta cheese, berries, and kiwi

Once the crepe filling is made, put the sweetened ricotta cheese in the middle of an open crepe, add berries and kiwi, then just fold both sides of crepes to create a tube shape. Alternatively, you can just fold crepe in half, then fold it one more time to create a triangle, like in this recipe.

Enjoy this very easy Summer treat (especially if you pre-made the crepes)!

Dessert crepes with ricotta cheese, berries, and kiwi

Dessert crepes with ricotta cheese, berries, and kiwi

Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 15 min

Ingredients:

Makes 4 servings

1) Heat ricotta cheese and agave nectar in a small skillet on medium-high and keep mixing it until the mixture becomes liquid and of even consistency. Remove from heat and let it cool. Once it cools a bit, the mixture would become more solid, which is what we want.

2) To serve: add 2 tablespoons of agave-ricotta cheese mixture on top of the open crepe, add some sliced strawberries, blueberries and sliced kiwi, fold the crepe in half. Sprinkled with powdered sugar if desired. Ready to serve!

Click here for your chance to win $100 Visa Gift Card right here, on my site!

• Angie@Angie's Recipes July 31, 2013, 4:39 am

Just a title?

• Julia August 3, 2013, 4:26 pm

That was a scheduled uncompleted post :).

• Denise Browning@From Brazil To You July 31, 2013, 9:49 am

Julia: Where are the recipe, pictures, and article? :)

• Julia August 3, 2013, 4:27 pm

Denise, thanks for catching! I had such a busy July, I forgot I scheduled a post without completing it. :)

• Patty August 3, 2013, 4:58 pm

Love your crepes Julia! They ‘re beautiful with the berries and kiwi slices ;)

• Christin@SpicySouthernKitchen August 3, 2013, 5:26 pm

Love kiwi and since it’s one of the few fruits my daughter will eat I grab a few every time I go shopping. Will have to try!

• Denise Browning@From Brazil To You August 3, 2013, 6:07 pm

LOL I do understand. The crepes filled with fruits look very delicious and summery. Pinned!

• Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen August 3, 2013, 7:02 pm

Absolutely beautiful, Julia! I am just in awe of your styling and photography. You are a talented woman. And, I like the way you develop recipes using agave. (Agave rules in my book as it is so sweet you don’t need much and it is low glycemic.) Such a fabulous summer breakfast or dessert recipe! Pinning to all group boards applicable (for some great exposure for you) at Pinterest. Thanks for sharing! xo P.S. Now following you on Bloglovin’. Maybe you could add a Bloglovin’ button to your blog? It is a great promotional tool and is very easy to do. :)

• Maureen | Orgasmic Chef August 3, 2013, 7:21 pm

I had to laugh when I read the comments. I’ve nearly done that myself. :)

I love dessert crepes and these are over the top beautiful. I want one for breakfast on this sunny winter day.

• Asmita August 3, 2013, 7:29 pm

Gorgeous crepes. So perfect for the summer!

• Liz August 3, 2013, 7:43 pm

Such gorgeous crepes! I wish these were my dessert tonight :)

• Matt @ The Athlete's Plate August 3, 2013, 7:49 pm

I love kiwi! For some reason I never think to buy it though.

• Peachy @ The Peach Kitchen August 3, 2013, 11:20 pm

I love crepes because it’s a very versatile dessert! yours look beautiful!

• Laura Dembowski August 4, 2013, 12:20 pm

Strawberries and kiwis are such a great combo! And all of your crepes look fab! I’ll get around to making them one of these days.

• Deb August 4, 2013, 12:50 pm

An intoxicating summer dessert! Bursting with summer flavors and simple to prepare my family would adore this recipe!

• john@kitchenriffs August 4, 2013, 2:12 pm

LOL, I saw this when it was just a title, and was wondering if you had scheduled it! Anyway, I love this recipe – I like sweet things (too well!) but am just fine with less sweetening. I’d have these either for dessert or breakfast. And agave is good stuff, isn’t it? Good post – thanks.

• Julia August 5, 2013, 10:38 pm

Yes, I scheduled this post, and forgot that it was about to get published. :)

• The Café Sucré Farine August 4, 2013, 5:43 pm

I love crepes but usually don’t think to make them. These are beautiful and do seem like the perfect summer dessert. They are such a blank pallet and can take on a zillion personalities, I love that!

• Min August 4, 2013, 5:49 pm

Hi Julia! I can always count on you to make the most scrumptious crepes! You are officially the crepe queen in my eyes ;)

• Yvonne @ bitterbaker August 4, 2013, 10:03 pm

I totally agree, my favorite summer desserts always have fruit in them! This looks soo delicious!! Live your photos! :)

• Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious August 5, 2013, 2:37 am

What a gorgeous crepe! I could have this for breakfast, lunch and dinner!

• Anne ~ Uni Homemaker August 5, 2013, 2:51 am

These are gorgeous Julia! I love ricotta cheese and am always looking for new ways to use it. This is a great idea. Thanks for sharing this with us.

• Ansie August 5, 2013, 11:11 am

thank you for the pancake recipe – made a savory one ( jsut left out the sugar) and it was brilliant – first time ever I did not had to throw away the first pancake

• Julia August 5, 2013, 10:22 pm

Ha-ha! Usually I eat the first crepe – the first one always comes out ugly but still tasty. :) Glad the recipe worked out for you!

• Nami | Just One Cookbook August 6, 2013, 3:18 am

Gotta buy ricotta cheese tomorrow so I can try this! Got berries and all the fruits already. I can’t wait!

• kristy @ the wicked noodle August 6, 2013, 11:34 am

These look absolutely scrumptious! What a wonderful treat for breakfast or dessert and a great way to use up seasonal berries!

• Lindsey @ American Heritage Cooking August 6, 2013, 5:47 pm

When I got the email with your new post with such an enticing title but no photos, I clicked on the link only to find nothing! You are such a tease, Julia! These were absolutely worth the wait. Fabulous photos as always.

You said you made the crepes in advance – do they freeze? How far in advance can you make them? Because when I want to eat crepes is never when I feel like making them.

• Kiran @ KiranTarun.com August 10, 2013, 12:44 am

So summery!! Love crepes with berries for brunch! Beautiful photos :)

• zerrin August 11, 2013, 3:01 pm

I can’t think of a better breakfast! I mostly have my crepes with a kind of jam or cheese only. Your combination sounds just perfect!

• Asmita August 14, 2013, 9:12 am

DELICIOUS !!! Seriously, wish I could just dive into these right now.

• marcie@flavorthemomentscie September 12, 2013, 2:18 pm

These look divine, Julia! I would love these for breakfast, dessert, or any time of day!

• Simona October 10, 2014, 8:36 pm

Love your crepes! I grow up with crepes too, my grandma use to make them and my mom make at least 60 every time she decide to prepare them.
    I am so happy that I found some new recipes for crepes. Can I give you one new to try? Mix ricotta cheese with sugar and one or two egs , vanilla and lemon peel. Make the crepe but right after you turn it on the other side take with a spoon from the cheese mixture and ad it on half in the crepe and cover with the other half of the crepe. Let until is done one side and turn it in the other until the egg is done in the cheese, it shouldn’t take to long. These are delicious! It is to late now to start to make some of your recipes but for sure tomorow I will prepare some!

• Julia October 14, 2014, 11:02 pm

Simona, thank you so much for such a great idea for making crepes. I will definitely try it and post it on my site too. You have such a beautiful photography site, by the way. Beautiful portraits! I wish I had someone to photograph me like that before I get too old. :)