Berry Tartlets with Sweet Kefir Filling - this Kefir tart filling is something different from the “traditional” creamy filling. I combine sugar, gelatin, kefir, and heavy cream to create a lighter tart filling – perfect if you’re in the mood for something not heavily laid with butter or heavy cream. In this recipe Kefir makes a magical transformation into an amazingly sweet, light and creamy dessert.
Last summer I got really hooked into making all types of tarts and tartlets, and I have unfortunately completely neglected my beautiful Williams-Sonoma tart and tartlet pans since then. But I can't let the summer go by without posting at least one tart recipe. And, of course, because it's summer, it should be a recipe for BERRY tartlets, with fresh blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries scattered over sweet and light creamy filling: because I find that sweetened cream fillings always do a great job of complimenting not-so-sweet berries.
This time I wanted something different from the "traditional" creamy filling, so I combined sugar, gelatin, kefir, and heavy cream to create a lighter tart filling for these berry tartlets - perfect if you're in the mood for something not heavily laid with butter or heavy cream. When combined with a touch of heavy cream and a bit of sugar, and thickened up by gelatin, Kefir makes a magical transformation into an amazingly sweet, light and creamy dessert. And, because I am a huge fan of Kefir anyway, and because I can easily drink a whole 32 fl oz bottle of kefir in one sitting (which has 4 cups of kefir), these berry tartlets is just another excuse for me to consume my favorite beverage. In a different form.
As you see, this recipe is the combination of these two favorites of mine: tartlets + kefir. You will be amazed at how light and fluffy and sweet the kefir filling is! You can have these berry tartlets with sweet kefir filling either for breakfast or dessert, and load them with as many berries as you like! You can also sprinkle fresh berries with powdered sugar to make them sweeter!
This recipe makes enough filling for 4 tartlets (mini tart shells).
Berry Tartlets with Sweet Kefir Filling
- 4 small tartlets (3 inch in diameter each)
- 2 teaspoons gelatin
- 2 tablespoons water
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- ½ cup kefir
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Make and bake sweet tart crust for small tartlets (3 inch in diameter each) according to my recipe. Let them cool completely.
- Combine 2 teaspoons of gelatin with 2 tablespoons of water until well dissolved.
- Heat cream and sugar, bring to boil, add gelatin mixture and stir to thicken. Remove from heat and add kefir and lemon juice, constantly stirring until well-combined. Return to heat and bring to boil, constantly stirring. Boil the mixture for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly. Place the kefir filling into tartlets and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- To serve, top the tartlets (already with kefir filling in them) with berries.
The nutritional information on this website is only an estimate and is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed. It should not be used as a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.