Moneglia is a beautiful, quiet, and laid-back beach town in the Italian region of Liguria. Moneglia has a great historic town center with well-preserved medieval structures. It's a great place to stay and explore nearby Cinque Terre and Portofino.
Quick Facts about Moneglia
- Moneglia is located in Liguria, about 50 km southeast of Genoa. It is conveniently situated between Portofino and Cinque Terre.
- Moneglia has a typical Mediterranean climate, with hot summers and moderate winters.
- Moneglia has been added to the list of Italian villages included in "I borghi più belli d'Italia" (which means "the most beautiful villages in Italy").
- Moneglia is home to a beautiful Church of San Giorgio. Right next to it is a spectacular Hotel Abbadia San Giorgio, which occupies a former monastery built by Franciscan monks.
Things to do in Moneglia
- Shops and restaurants. Moneglia is a quiet, family-friendly town with lots of shops and great authentic restaurants. The streets of Moneglia are lined with palm trees, and there are many beautiful alleys shaded by trees.
- Historic town center. Many structures in Moneglia date back to medieval times and are very well-preserved. If you like history and historic architecture, you'll really enjoy Moneglia.
- Church of Santa Croce. This beautiful church is a work of art.
- Church of San Giorgio. This impressive structure dates back to 1396. Next to the church is Franciscan Monastery San Giorgio that dates back to 1484.
- Day trips. The train station is located right in town and it will connect you to the five villages of Cinque Terre. It also takes only 1 hour by car to get from Moneglia to Portofino.
- Beautiful beach. Moneglia boasts impressive scenery with a great beach. Enjoy a relaxing day at the wonderful beach which is only steps away from the town center.
Day Trips from Moneglia
Day Trip from Moneglia to Cinque Terre
- Moneglia is only 37 km away from Cinque Terre.
- From Moneglia, it will take you only 30 minutes to get to Cinque Terre by train.
- The five villages of Cinque Terre get really crowded with tourists during the peak tourist season (which is May to September). Moneglia is a great place to stay and to take day trips to Cinque Terre.
- When I stayed in Moneglia, I really enjoyed the peace and quietness of the area while being in very close proximity to Cinque Terre. It's simply wonderful to make a day trip from Moneglia to Cinque Terre by train and then come back to this quiet town to relax without crowds.
Day Trip from Moneglia to Portofino
- Moneglia is about 45 km away from Portofino.
- It takes only 1 hour to get from Moneglia to Portofino by car.
- Staying in Portofino is expensive. If you want to visit Portofino without staying there, Moneglia is a great choice!
- When we stayed in Moneglia, we made a day trip to Portofino by car. It took us only 1 hour to get to Portofino. We spent a whole day in Portofino, including having an amazing dinner, and then returned to Moneglia by car for the night.
Church of San Giorgio and Abbadia San Giorgio
- The church of San Giorgio has been built in 1396 by Benedictine monks.
- Abbadia San Giorgio was added in 1484 by Franciscan friars. A beautiful open gallery runs along the walls of this ancient building. A luxury hotel of the same name (Abbadia San Giorgio) is now part of it.
- At the Abbadia, you will find the frescoes representing the scenes from the life of St. Francis of Assisi.
Church of Santa Croce
- This beautiful church was built approximately around 1100 and most likely even earlier.
Moneglia is a quiet and beautiful Italian village with so much to offer! It's a great place to stay and relax away from the crowds, even during the busy season. The historic town center, beautiful beach, and great restaurants will keep you busy at a relaxed pace. Finally, because of Moneglia's strategic location, it's a perfect base for day trips to Cinque Terre and Portofino.