Easy Mashed Sweet Potatoes, with butter, maple syrup, cinnamon and Montreal steak seasoning - a perfect combination of sweet and savory flavors! You'll love these potatoes! The recipe takes only 30 minutes to make - which includes 20 minutes to boil the potatoes!
The Montreal steak seasoning combined with butter, cinnamon, and maple syrup make these potatoes truly the very best mashed sweet potatoes you'll ever have!
This recipe is much easier than regular sweet potato casseroles, and it is healthier than many mashed sweet potato recipes as there is no milk and no heavy cream in the ingredients. The sweet potatoes themselves are really so creamy, there is no need for milk or cream. Just add some flavorful seasonings and butter.
- In this recipe, it is important that you melt the butter together with maple syrup and Montreal steak seasoning for 2-3 minutes before adding it to the already mashed sweet potatoes. This is done to soften the Montreal steak seasoning and to allow the flavors to blend together better.
- This recipe only gets better the next day, after sitting in the refrigerator, which is all the better, since you can make it in advance!
How to make mashed sweet potatoes
Peel sweet potatoes, slice them into small cubes and cook in boiling water for 20 or 30 minutes, until soft. Rinse and drain.
In a large bowl, using a fork or a potato masher, mash sweet potatoes.
In the mean time, in a medium skillet or pan, heat butter, maple syrup, Montreal seasoning on small-medium heat, until the butter is melted and cook the mixture for 2-3 minutes on low heat (to soften Montreal seasoning). Add the butter-maple-syrup-Montreal-seasoning mixture to mashed sweet potatoes and mix well.
Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 2.5 pounds sweet potatoes
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 ½ teaspoons Montreal seasoning
- Peel sweet potatoes, slice them into small cubes and cook in boiling water for 20 or 30 minutes, until soft. Rinse and drain.
- In a medium skillet or pan, heat butter, maple syrup, Montreal seasoning on small-medium heat, until butter is melted and cook the mixture for 2-3 minutes on low heat (to soften Montreal seasoning).
- In a large bowl, using a fork or a potato masher, mash sweet potatoes. After the potatoes are mashed, add the butter-maple-syrup-Montreal-seasoning mixture and the cinnamon. Mix well.
The nutritional information on this website is only an estimate and is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed. It should not be used as a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Absolutely delicious! I was in a pinch because I didn't have any milk in my house so I was researching mashed sweet potato recipes without milk or cream. WOW you will not be disappointed! Rich, creamy, a tad sweet, a pinch spicy, and honestly just down right decadent. I will definitely use this recipe again especially since it got my teenager who hates sweet potatoes to eat them with a smile. Great job and thank you for sharing!
What kind of Montreal Seasoning? Steak or chicken?
Steak Montreal seasoning.
When do you add the cinnamon?
I just corrected the recipe!
Did you use yams or sweet potatoes in this recipe?
Love this combo. The seasoning sounds interesting. I can't wait to try them 🙂