The Terrace of the Elephants is an ancient royal viewing platform of Angkor Thom, a temple complex in Cambodia. The terrace is famous for its carvings of elephants and their mahouts.
About Terrace of the Elephants
The terrace is over 300 meters long. The Bayon temple and the Baphuon (an 11th-century pyramid temple) are to the south of the Elephant Terrace. The Terrace of the Leper King is to the north of the Elephant Terrace.
What remains now of the original structure is mainly the foundation and the ruins. The walls of the terrace contain the carvings of elephants, other animals, and mythological creatures.
Where is it located?
The Elephant Terrace is part of the ancient Angkor Thom, an ancient city of the Khmer Empire. Angkor Thom was established in the twelfth century by King Jayavarman VII.
The terrace is located close to the other structures of Angkor Thom, including the Terrace of the Leper King, Bayon, and Baphuon. It’s easy to reach the terrace as it is located in the central part of Angkor Thom, with the Bayon and the Baphuon to the south and the Terrace of the Leper King to the north.
The terrace depicts numerous carvings, including the elephants and their mahouts, animals, and mythological characters.
When was the Terrace of Elephants built?
The construction of the terrace was started at the end of the 12th century by the Angkor’s king Jayavarman VII.
The ancient royal viewing platform
The Terrace of Elephants faces the public grounds that were used for public ceremonies, military parades, processions, and other events.
The Angkor’s king Jayavarman VII (who was the king of the Khmer Empire from 1181 to 1218) and his family used the Elephant Terrace to watch military parades, public ceremonies, and other events. The king also used the terrace as the audience hall to interact with the public.