Creamy Chicken Pot Pie Wild Rice – tastes just like the traditional chicken pot pie but without the crust. Made on the stove top, in one skillet. Super easy, no need to fuss with the pie crust. It’s gluten free, and it tastes just like the pot pie but without the gluten. Sure winner for the holidays!
Chicken Pot Pie Wild Rice – easy, flavorful, creamy, perfect weeknight dinner! Great recipe to make during the holiday season. All the yummy ingredients of a pot pie, but with the wild rice instead. It’s a comfort food made completely from scratch, with fresh, whole ingredients, and it’s also gluten free!
I always liked the idea of a chicken pot pie for dinner, but I don’t really like to mess with the pie crust when I am in a hurry to get the dinner on a table, so this recipe works perfectly for me. All the flavors of a chicken pot pie, and no need to mess with the pie crust! It’s so delicious, you might want to double the recipe next time!
Creamy Chicken Pot Pie Wild Rice - tastes just like the chicken pot pie, but without the pie crust. Everything is made on the stove top in one skillet. Super easy, no need to fuss with the pie crust. Gluten free dinner!
- 2 cups wild rice uncooked
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves minced
- 2 carrots peeled, finely grated
- 1 pound chicken breast chopped into small chunks
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup green peas frozen type
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese shredded
- salt to taste
- Cook wild rice + 1/4 teaspoon and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a large pot of boiling water according to the cooking instructions on the package (usually, wild rice cooks about 45 minutes, so plan accordingly).
- When wild rice is almost cooked, heat olive oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat. Add minced garlic, finely grated carrots, and cook, stirring, for about 1 minute, until carrots start to soften.
- Add chopped chicken, sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Add 1 cup green peas (I used the frozen ones). You can add them either frozen or thawed. Stir them in and mix with chicken-carrot mixture.
- When the wild rice is done, add cooked wild rice to the skillet with the chicken and mix everything.
- Add 1 cup half and half, 1/3 cup chicken broth to the skillet with the chicken and rice and bring to boil. Add 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese. Stir, until the cheese has melted, on medium-low heat. Taste and add more salt if needed, about 1/8 teaspoon or 1/4 teaspoon more.
What is HALF & HALF? Half and half is the US milk product that combines half milk half cream to form a lighter cream unlike heavy cream. To make 1 cup of half and half, combine 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 cup heavy cream or whipping cream.