Chicken Pot Pie Wild Rice
Follow Julia on Pinterest and Facebook to get more recipes and dinner ideas for your weekly meal planning!
Chicken Pot Pie Wild Rice – easy, flavorful, creamy, perfect weeknight dinner! All the yummy ingredients of a pot pie, but with the wild rice instead. It’s a comfort food made completely from scratch, with fresh, whole ingredients, and it’s also gluten free!
I always liked the idea of a chicken pot pie for dinner, but I don’t really like to mess with the pie crust when I am in a hurry to get the dinner on a table, so this recipe works perfectly for me. All the flavors of a chicken pot pie, and no need to mess with the pie crust! It’s so delicious, you might want to double the recipe next time!
MY OTHER VIDEOS
Chicken Pot Pie Wild Rice
- 2 cups uncooked wild rice
- 1/4 teaspoon and 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled, finely grated
- 1 pound chicken breast, chopped into small chunks
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup green peas (frozen type)
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- more salt, to taste
- *What is HALF & HALF?* Half and half is the US milk product that combines half milk half cream to form a lighter cream (unlike heavy cream). To make 1 cup of half and half, combine 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 cup heavy cream or whipping cream.
- Cook wild rice + 1/4 teaspoon and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a large pot of boiling water according to the cooking instructions on the package (usually, wild rice cooks about 45 minutes, so plan accordingly).
- When wild rice is almost cooked, heat olive oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat. Add minced garlic, finely grated carrots, and cook, stirring, for about 1 minute, until carrots start to soften.
- Add chopped chicken, sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Add 1 cup green peas (I used the frozen ones). You can add them either frozen or thawed. Stir them in and mix with chicken-carrot mixture.
- When the wild rice is done, add cooked wild rice to the skillet with the chicken and mix everything.
- Add 1 cup half and half, 1/3 cup chicken broth to the skillet with the chicken and rice and bring to boil. Add 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese. Stir, until the cheese has melted, on medium-low heat. Taste and add more salt if needed, about 1/8 teaspoon or 1/4 teaspoon more.
CONNECT WITH ME ON MY SOCIAL MEDIA:
PINTEREST | FACEBOOK | GOOGLE+ | TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | BLOGLOVIN’
To search my site for other recipes, type your search text below and hit enter: