Chicken Pot Pie Wild Rice
Follow Julia on Pinterest and Facebook to get more recipes and dinner ideas for your weekly meal planning!
Chicken Pot Pie Wild Rice – easy, flavorful, creamy, perfect weeknight dinner! All the yummy ingredients of a pot pie, but with the wild rice instead. It’s a comfort food made completely from scratch, with fresh, whole ingredients, and it’s also gluten free!
I always liked the idea of a chicken pot pie for dinner, but I don’t really like to mess with the pie crust when I am in a hurry to get the dinner on a table, so this recipe works perfectly for me. All the flavors of a chicken pot pie, and no need to mess with the pie crust! It’s so delicious, you might want to double the recipe next time!
Chicken Pot Pie Wild Rice
- 2 cups uncooked wild rice
- 1/4 teaspoon and 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled, finely grated
- 1 pound chicken breast, chopped into small chunks
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup green peas (frozen type)
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- more salt, to taste
- *What is HALF & HALF?* Half and half is the US milk product that combines half milk half cream to form a lighter cream (unlike heavy cream). To make 1 cup of half and half, combine 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 cup heavy cream or whipping cream.
- Cook wild rice + 1/4 teaspoon and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a large pot of boiling water according to the cooking instructions on the package (usually, wild rice cooks about 45 minutes, so plan accordingly).
- When wild rice is almost cooked, heat olive oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat. Add minced garlic, finely grated carrots, and cook, stirring, for about 1 minute, until carrots start to soften.
- Add chopped chicken, sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Add 1 cup green peas (I used the frozen ones). You can add them either frozen or thawed. Stir them in and mix with chicken-carrot mixture.
- When the wild rice is done, add cooked wild rice to the skillet with the chicken and mix everything.
- Add 1 cup half and half, 1/3 cup chicken broth to the skillet with the chicken and rice and bring to boil. Add 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese. Stir, until the cheese has melted, on medium-low heat. Taste and add more salt if needed, about 1/8 teaspoon or 1/4 teaspoon more.
CONNECT WITH ME ON MY SOCIAL MEDIA:
PINTEREST | FACEBOOK | GOOGLE+ | TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | BLOGLOVIN’
To search my site for other recipes, type your search text below and hit enter: