Bacon and Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms
Follow Julia on Pinterest and Facebook to get more recipes and dinner ideas for your weekly meal planning!
Bacon and Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms – delicious, homemade bite-sized mini-appetizers loved by adults and kids alike! The stuffing is made with Parmesan and Mozzarella cheeses, cream cheese, bacon bits, finely chopped green bell pepper, with a touch of Cayenne pepper. Baked in a small amount of butter, with a splash of lemon juice.
As most of my recipes are, this one is very easy to make. I made these mushrooms one day right after work at 6:00pm, and I was able to take pictures too, even though the days are noticeably shorter. That tells you how easy and fast these are to make.
First, you start by pre-baking the mushrooms in the oven to help them lose some of the moisture. Dip each mushroom cap in butter and place mushrooms caps side up in a medium baking dish. Bake for 10-15 minutes at 400 F:
Remove from the oven, and flip mushrooms over, draining any excess liquid from the caps:
Make the stuffing by mixing softened cream cheese, Parmesan cheese, Mozzarella cheese, bacon bits, finely chopped bell pepper, and a splash of cayenne pepper, season with salt if necessary:
Using a little spoon, fill each mushroom cap with a generous amount of stuffing, slightly mounding the mixture. Arrange the mushroom caps in the same baking dish:
Sprinkle a small amount of paprika over the cheese stuffed mushrooms (for color). Pour any remaining butter you have into the baking pan:
Bake for about 20 minutes until mushrooms are piping hot:
Bacon and Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms
- 20 small whole mushrooms (about 10 oz)
- 1/2 stick butter, melted
- 1/2 package (4 ounces) cream cheese, slightly softened
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 bacon slices, finely chopped
- 1/4 green bell pepper, very finely chopped
- cayenne pepper
- fresh lemon juice (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a medium baking dish with a small amount of butter.
- Clean mushrooms with a damp paper towel. Carefully break off stems.
- Dip all mushrooms into melted butter to coat the outside of the caps. You will have some butter left - use it later to pour into the baking pan. Place mushroom caps upside down (caps side up) into the baking dish, sprinkle a little bit of salt on top, and bake for 10-15 min to get extra water out.
- After 10-15 minutes, remove mushrooms from the oven, flip them all over, draining the caps of any accumulated liquid - drain it right back into the baking dish.
- In the mean time, in a medium bowl combine and mix softened cream cheese, Parmesan cheese, Mozzarella cheese, bacon bits, finely chopped bell pepper, a splash of cayenne pepper. Season with salt to taste. Note: cream cheese should be softened but not too soft, not melted. Mixture should be very thick.
- Using a little spoon, fill each mushroom cap with a generous amount of stuffing, slightly mounding the mixture. Arrange the mushroom caps in the same baking dish. Sprinkle a small amount of paprika over the cheese stuffed mushrooms (for color, mainly). Pour any remaining butter you have into the baking pan, not over the mushrooms directly, but in the bottom of the pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the mushrooms are piping hot.
- Optional: Add lemon juice to the butter in the end.
- Garnish with freshly diced bell pepper, chopped green onions, or parsley.
CONNECT WITH ME ON MY SOCIAL MEDIA:
PINTEREST | FACEBOOK | GOOGLE+ | TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | BLOGLOVIN’
To search my site for other recipes, type your search text below and hit enter: