I’ve spent so much time thinking about and cooking Fall and Thanksgiving recipes, I did not even notice that the Christmas season was slowly creeping up on all of us! Don’t you feel like you have to urgently switch gears now and get yourself into a Christmas mode? I do! And, conveniently, these peanut butter sandwich cookies with Nutella filling and colorful sprinkles seem like a perfect way to kick of a Christmas cookie season around here! I love Christmas for many reasons, not the least of which are the cookies! You have to check out the Christmas cookies I’ve made last year – they all became my family’s favorites!
Here, I am using a recipe from a wonderful Smitten Kitchen Cookbook. I’ve already made these cookies before, and this time instead of making a chocolate filling from scratch, I am taking a shortcut and using Nutella spread. Cookies did not suffer a bit – Nutella is delicious with these crumbly, light-textured, melt-in-your-mouth peanut butter cookies! Dress them up with sprinkles, and they become perfect, easy-to-make Christmas treats!
Peanut butter sandwich cookies with Nutella filling
Total time: 50 minutes
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen Cookbook.
Ingredients for cookie dough:
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter, room temperature
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature (let the butter from refrigerator sit on the counter for about an hour or so)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted or aerated (see important note below!)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
Ingredients for filling:
- Nutella spread
Makes 40 sandwiched cookies
Important note about properly measuring flour using measuring cups:
The proper way to measure flour using measuring cups is to aerate it first. This is done either by sifting flour, or aerating it by fluffing it up and whisking it well, then spooning it into the measuring cup, then carefully removing any excess flour with a knife. If you just stick that measuring cup in the bag of flour and scoop some out, you will get a lot more flour than what the recipe calls for. Do aerate the flour, or you will end up with dry dough!
To make the cookies:
1) Beat butter and peanut butter in a large bowl until well combined and fluffy. Add the sugars and beat until combined. Add egg and beat until smooth.
2) In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, salt).
3) Add dry ingredients from step 2 to the wet ingredients from step 1 and beat on low speed until just incorporated.
4) Divide dough into 4 parts: the dough will be crumbly. Form a rectangular shaped log out of each cookie dough part and wrap in plastic wrap. Freeze for 30 minutes until cookie dough firms up.
5) Preheat oven to 350. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly greased aluminum foil.
6) Slice each log of cookie dough (after it’s been in the freezer for 30 minutes) into 1/4 inch thick slices.
7) Carefully place sliced cookies onto the prepared baking sheet (remember the dough is very crumbly). You don’t have to space them too far apart because these cookies won’t flatten. Bake for 10 minutes until lightly puffed and just a little bit golden brown at the edges.
8) Transfer to the cooling rack and cool completely before filling.
1) Place about 1 teaspoon (or more) of Nutella spread on top of a cookie and place a second cookie on top of the Nutella filling. Press 2 cookies together. Repeat with the rest of cookies. Easy!