Apple banana muffins with pecans and dulce de leche drizzle

I am so happy with this recipe! It’s definitely a winner! I really wanted to bake something that involved apples, cinnamon, pecans (it’s Fall after all!), very ripe bananas, and muffins. I really wanted a muffin that tasted and looked like it belonged in the Fall season. So, after I was done baking these apple banana muffins, drizzling them with dulce de leche (a type of caramel sauce), and, finally, sprinkling them with chopped pecans, I stepped back, looked at them and was very pleased! I achieved what I wanted, don’t you think? These muffins look like Fall!

They surely taste like a Fall treat, too. Stuffed to the brink with chopped apples, spiced up with cinnamon, and topped with pecans, these muffins combine some of my most favorite flavors! I just had one with a cup of hot tea – oh, what a comfort!

Another great thing about these muffins is that they are low-fat. I am using only 5 tablespoons of butter to make 12 regular size muffins! To compensate, I am adding mashed bananas and Greek yogurt. As a result, the muffins are moist and airy (not dense) – I couldn’t get a better result! I am really happy with my muffins!

I’ve made them with 2 different kinds of apples. For the first batch, I used very tart and crisp Granny Smith apples. For my second batch, I chopped up very sweet and also very crisp Fuji apples. Using either variety of apples yielded excellent yet different results! If you like your muffins really-really sweet – go ahead and use a sweeter variety of apples. If you like a bit of tartness, use very tart Granny Smiths – after baking in the oven, they will soften and sweeten anyway, leaving a just a touch of tartness behind.

Apple banana muffins with pecans, dulce de leche drizzle, breakfast muffins, dessert muffins, Greek yogurt muffins, low fat muffins, Russian recipes, Russian food

I drizzled these muffins with my homemade dulce de leche because for me it’s easier to make dulce de leche than to make caramel sauce. Please try for yourself ! You can also drizzle these with just a touch of a regular caramel sauce, if you like. And don’t forget to top them with chopped pecans!

Apple banana muffins with pecans, and dulce de leche drizzle

Total time: 60 minutes

Muffins:

• 1 cup sugar
  • 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, very soft, room temperature
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 very ripe bananas, mashed
  • 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 and 1/2 cups apples, chopped. Use either tart apples, such as tarter Granny Smiths, or sweeter, Fuji apples (see my note above)

For topping:

• homemade dulce de leche
  • 1/3 cup pecans, chopped
  • Use one regular size muffin pan (12 muffins)

Makes 12 regular size muffins

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a mixing bowl, using electric mixer, beat sugar and butter on high speed for 1.5 minutes. The consistency will be somewhat crumbly. Add eggs and continue beating for several more minutes until the mixture becomes fluffy and lighter in color.

2) Add mashed bananas, Green yogurt, and vanilla extract and continue beating until all ingredients are well incorporated.

3) In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon.

4) Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Do not over-mix. Fold in chopped apples.

5) Grease muffin pan. Fill each muffin cup almost to the top (about 3/4). Bake for about 25 minutes at 350 degrees. Watch baking times closely: do not overbake and keep in mind that the “actual” individual oven temperatures might vary. When inserted toothpick comes out clean – the muffins are ready!

6) Warm dulce de leche in a microwave for 5-10 seconds. Using small spoon, drizzle some dulce de leche over the top of each muffin. Sprinkle with chopped pecans.

• Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com October 5, 2013, 6:12 am

These muffins look GREAT!
      Apple pie in muffin form :)

• Angie@Angie's Recipes October 5, 2013, 7:16 am

Those muffins look DIVINE, esp. that ducle de leche drizzle! Absolutely irresistible!

• Ashley October 5, 2013, 7:22 am

Oh my, these muffins look so good! I would love one for breakfast right now! And with the dulce de leche topping and pecans??

• Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen October 5, 2013, 8:27 am

Fall comfort breakfast food at its finest! Absolutely gorgeous photography, too, girl. As always! I really neeeeeed one of these right now for brekkie! Mmm. Thanks for sharing, Julia. Pinning!

• Monique October 5, 2013, 9:57 am

Gee whiz they look great..
      Pining:) and Pinning.

• Ahu October 5, 2013, 3:16 pm

These are so festive – the pecans look like sprinkles!

• Suzanne Perazzini October 5, 2013, 3:38 pm

These look so delicious. Drizzling always looks so mouth-watering.

• Jacqueline October 5, 2013, 5:27 pm

They look truly wonderful. The perfect combination of flavours and I bet the air was fragranced beautifully while you made these.

• Victoria October 5, 2013, 6:43 pm

I found you on Pinterest and Oh my goodness, your recipes look divine! Everything looks so clean and delicious! I’m not a fan of sweets but I’ve been pinning some of your savory dishes and can’t wait to try them!!!

• Matt @ The Athlete's Plate October 5, 2013, 7:51 pm

Drooling!

• Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chef October 5, 2013, 8:12 pm

apple & banana together in one muffin? sign me up!!! these look so pretty, julia.

• Lindsey @ American Heritage Cooking October 6, 2013, 1:30 pm

These look amazing! I’m so glad you tried them with two different types of apples; I’ve always wanted to do that! I can’t resist a moist breakfast muffin, and I have a feeling these will be added to my regular rotation!

• Denise Browning@From Brazil To You October 6, 2013, 2:09 pm

Wow! Everything that is delish in a muffin!!!!

• Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl October 6, 2013, 2:27 pm

The drizzle on these muffins is making me swoon, absolute perfection! :)

• Christin@SpicySouthernKitchen October 6, 2013, 2:30 pm

Love the combo of apples and bananas and I have to try that Dulce de Leche sauce. It looks fabulous!

• Anne ~ Uni Homemaker October 6, 2013, 2:58 pm

These are beautiful Julia! And it totally screams fall in my opinion. Well done and pinned. :)

• Laura Dembowski October 6, 2013, 3:04 pm

Julia, these muffins are beautiful and totally have my mouth watering! Between the beautifully browned muffin to the dulce de leche to the pecans, everything in this muffin is perfect!

• Erin | The Emerging Foodie October 6, 2013, 4:35 pm

Yum! These look delicious. Love that they’re healthier, too! And dulce de leche drizzle? Mmmm!

• john@kitchenriffs October 6, 2013, 6:41 pm

Wonderful looking muffins. The dulce de leche drizzle (try saying that fast 5 times in a row!) is a wonderful idea. Good stuff – thanks.

• Ari @ Ari's Menu October 7, 2013, 10:09 am

How funny, I literally just made my own dulce de leche (for the first time!!) to drizzle over an apple dessert. It was ridiculous, and I have no doubt that these are absolutely incredible!!

• Allie | Baking A Moment October 7, 2013, 12:45 pm

Wow, these muffins look so delicious! I love the combination of fruit and cinnamon, and the dulce de leche drizzle looks so tempting! Toasted pecans are my favorite at this time of year. And your photos are so amazing! So sharp and saturated… Pinned!

• Nami | Just One Cookbook October 7, 2013, 2:04 pm

My gosh… after reading your post and looking at these delicious pictures, everyone is dreaming of these muffins full of fall ingredients! Love the idea of dulce de leche on top. You perfect it (wait, is there a verb for perfect? Sorry not sure…).

• Alla October 8, 2013, 5:41 am

I believe I discovered your blog looking for a dulce de lece recipe… and look at that, a whole year has gone by and I STILL have not tried making it. Ok, I HAVE to try it this fall! And now no excuses as I’m on maternity leave so I have “plenty of time”. :)

• Diana October 8, 2013, 11:25 am

Apple, pecan nuts and dulce de leche! I can only imagine how delightful these muffins are. <3

• Winnie October 9, 2013, 9:53 am

WOWWWW
      These are absolutely AWESOME
      I just have to make them :)
      BTW – I also make my own dulce-de-leche (tastes much better)

• Mary @ Fit and Fed October 12, 2013, 12:44 am

These look so festive, and so fall, full of all kinds of good fall flavors!

• Ronda Tatum October 12, 2013, 1:10 pm

What a hit Julia! Very yummy! Can’t wait to make these for my family Thanksgiving week.

• Orchidea October 22, 2013, 4:29 pm

Oh my god! These muffins look amazing… I would like to try them.
      Ciao.