โ‰ก Menu

Strawberry almond cake bars

Strawberry almond cake bars

I can’t believe the summer is actually over. It seems like just yesterday I started summer baking, enjoying all the fresh berries I could find, and here I am, 3 months later, and I did not even make a dent in the number of recipes I wanted to try when summer started! It’s already September, I just got several pounds of fresh apples from my mother-in-law’s garden, and the Fall is knocking at my door! Well, I don’t think I’ll stop baking with berries just because it’s not summer any more, especially after I’ve tried this strawberry almond cake, right out of the oven:

Strawberry almond cake bars

dusted with powdered sugar – yum!

Strawberry almond cake bars

MY OTHER VIDEOS

As you can see on the photos, the cake came out beautifully, with a wonderful combination of toasted almond and strawberry flavors. I baked it in a round cake pan, and then sliced it in 12 rectangular bars. After I did that, I realized it could’ve been easier just to slice it in 12 wedges. I served it warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top! It’s an amazing treat that will bring summer right back into your house!

Strawberry almond cake bars

My family loved it, and yours will love it too! (that is, of course, if your family loves strawberries, toasted almonds, and vanilla ice cream :))

Strawberry almond cake bars

Strawberry almond cake bars

Total time: 1 hour 20 minutes

Adapted from Martha Stewart.

Ingredients:

• 9 tablespoons (1 and 1/8 sticks) unsalted butter, softened, plus more for pan
  • 1 and 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup packed light-brown sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 cup sliced almonds, (3 ounces), toasted
  • 1 pint strawberries, sliced
  • powdered sugar, for dusting

Makes 12 bars
Use 8-inch square baking pan or 9-inch diameter round baking pan

1) Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter an 8-inch square baking pan or a 9-inch diameter round baking pan.

2) Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.

3) In a separate bowl, using electric mixer, cream together softened butter and brown sugar until the mixture becomes light in color and fluffy in texture, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, vanilla extract and continue beating until well combined. Add dry ingredients from step 2, and beat using the mixer, on low speed until well combined. Mix 3/4 cup toasted almonds into the batter.

4) Pour batter into prepared buttered pan, using spatula to helps spreading the batter in the pan. Scatter sliced strawberries and remaining 1/4 cup almonds over the batter in a baking pan.

5) Bake for about 60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean or only with a few crumbs on it.

6) Dust with powdered sugar before cutting into slices. Serve it warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!

PINTEREST | FACEBOOK | GOOGLE+ | TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | BLOGLOVIN\’

• Monique September 5, 2013, 10:15 pm

OhSoPinning:-)

• Peachy @ The Peach Kitchen September 5, 2013, 10:33 pm

This Strawberry Almond cake bars look so fabulous! It’s perfect for tea parties!

• The Cafรฉ Sucre Farine September 5, 2013, 10:46 pm

Looks so moist and delicious, wow!

• Krista September 5, 2013, 11:27 pm

This cake is so beautiful! I love the gorgeous topping and lovely textures. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Loretta September 5, 2013, 11:49 pm

Fantastic! I’m still able to find good tasting strawberries and I should be eating all that I can before they’re gone! I’m mostly ready for fall, but not when I think about how much I’ll miss the summer fruits!

• Marcie September 6, 2013, 12:00 am

Isn’t it sad when a season ends and you haven’t made half if the recipes you wanted to? I barely scratched the surface! I feel like I’m falling behind on fall because of it — not one pumpkin recipe yet! Good for you baking these delicious bars — they look divine. This is my kind of treat!

• Kumar's Kitchen September 6, 2013, 12:01 am

such stunning bars…loved loved loved the combination of almonds and strawberries…bliss in every bite ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anne ~ Uni Homemaker September 6, 2013, 12:16 am

What a beautiful cake bar Julia! I’m definitely putting this on my to-bake list. I know, can you believe how quickly summer came and went?! Pinning! ๐Ÿ™‚ xo

• Alla September 6, 2013, 1:13 am

Well, now you can get started on all the FALL recipes you didn’t get a chance to make last fall! ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ And this cake I’d eat for breakfast! I made peach crumble last night – already thinking fall- but it was HOT 30C so good thing we had ice cream to throw on top.

• Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen September 6, 2013, 1:19 am

Gorgeous strawberry dessert, Julia! I am with you…I just cannot let go of summer just yet or baking with fresh berries! I just adore everything almond and the toasted almond flavor of your cake paired with fresh strawberries is truly divine. I would LOVE to bite into this cake to experience the subtle crunch of those sliced almonds, too. Yum! We were both on the same track…as the shortbread crust I created for my strawberry dessert is an almond shortbread crust! Will definitely pin at Pinterest during peak time tomorrow night. Thanks for sharing, girl!

• Irina @ wandercrush September 6, 2013, 1:35 am

A baked beauty you’ve got here! And I wonder how much more amazing this would be with almond flour…
    I totally agree about summer passing by in a whirlwindโ€”the good thing is that Fall is such a brilliant baking season. Can’t wait to use all those autumnal flavours!

• Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl September 6, 2013, 1:38 am

These blondies look amazing! How do I stop myself from not eating the entire thing?!

• Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com September 6, 2013, 5:14 am

Oh my! These bars/cake look decadent all on its own – then I read the part where you had it with ice cream! I am bug eyed and open jawed now…oops drool spilt on my keyboard!
    ๐Ÿ™‚
    Thanks so much for sharing this recipe!

• [email protected]'s Recipes September 6, 2013, 5:45 am

These nutty berry bars look incredible!

• veganmiam.com September 6, 2013, 6:15 am

I can’t believe summer is over, too already, but I’m already looking forward to the fall, where pumpkin pies come on board and of course new exciting fall produces! I love the idea of the combination of toasted almond and strawberry flavors, along with some ice cream. Have you tried So Delicious coconut ice cream products before?

• Lindsey @ American Heritage Cooking September 6, 2013, 8:35 am

These look amazing!!! I can’t wait to make summer last with these!

• Deb September 6, 2013, 11:02 am

Our summer sunshine arrives this time of year so I’m not ready to let go! A splendid dessert for a late season celebration of sunshine!

• Ashley September 6, 2013, 11:41 am

Oh my, this cake sounds amazing! I love strawberry and almond … so I have a feeling I would love this! Plus, that powdered sugar dusting just makes it so pretty : ) I can’t believe summer is over either … I’m trying to enjoy the last of fresh corn and tomatoes right now!

• Rosa September 6, 2013, 12:36 pm

A fabulous treat! Really tempting and delightful.

Cheers,

Rosa

• Denise [email protected] Brazil To You September 6, 2013, 4:04 pm

Lovely and very tempting these bars are, Julia! Pinned!!!!!!!! Thanks so much for having stopped by and for the kind birthday wishes!!! Wishing you a great weekend.

• [email protected] September 6, 2013, 4:44 pm

I have so many summery recipes I didn’t get around to also. Going to have to put them into a folder for next summer because I’m totally ready to bring on the pumpkin! Love this strawberry almond cake. Looks gorgeous and I bet it tastes divine!

• Matt @ The Athlete's Plate September 6, 2013, 7:49 pm

Mmm these look delicious!

• Hannah September 6, 2013, 9:54 pm

No way, summer is so not over yet! The air may be growing colder, but it’s still officially summer according to the calendar and I plan an stuffing myself silly with berries and stone fruits in the meantime. Such brilliant cake bars would be the perfect treat to help me along in that plan, too. They look so good!

• Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious September 6, 2013, 10:06 pm

I can barely deal with summer being over! But these blondies – yes and yes! I could eat the entire cake myself!

• Suzanne perazzini September 7, 2013, 5:21 am

That’s a great looking cake. As you move into fall, we are entering spring but it is still pretty chilly here.

• The Squishy Monster September 7, 2013, 10:09 am

How gorgeous! I do love berries + almonds paired together. The puffy soft cake looks so pretty dusted with the snow of sugar. I imagine this makes for a great accompaniment to a french press of something great to look forward to after supper.

• Laura Dembowski September 7, 2013, 11:41 am

But summer’s not over!!!! We’ve got a couple more weeks. This cake is stunning, Julia!

• Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust September 7, 2013, 3:45 pm

MMM, I love almond. This is a beautiful cake!

• Natasha @ The Cake Merchant September 7, 2013, 6:55 pm

I love strawberries and almonds. This combination sounds heavenly!

• Yvonne @ bitter baker September 8, 2013, 11:45 am

Mmm, I love dessert with powdered sugar on top! Makes it look so luxurious for some reason! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Dina September 8, 2013, 7:10 pm

they look yummy!

• Reeni September 8, 2013, 8:48 pm

How gorgeous Julia! Strawberries and almonds love each other! And I love them. I’m still eating lots of berries! I’m not ready to let them go but I am happy it’s pumpkin and apple time.

• Tamara Coleman September 16, 2013, 3:10 pm