Healthy fettuccine alfredo with shrimp & mushrooms

Healthy fettuccine alfredo with cauliflower sauce, shrimp, mushrooms, and sweet peas

After I made a healthier version of classic alfredo sauce 2 months ago, I had dreams at night (or you can call them nightmares) of how I was making different variations of that recipe, torturing myself with endless combinations of ingredients I could combine with that amazing cauliflower-based alfredo sauce. And, what do you think, did I come up with a super original recipe after all those sleepless nights? Not at all. I came up with something pretty basic but yet so delicious in its simplicity that I definitely call it another win in a “healthy food department”!

Because shrimp and sauteed mushrooms usually go so well with the original alfredo sauce, I just combined all these wonderful ingredients together in one healthy dish: shrimp, mushrooms, sweet peas, pasta – all coated in a creamy cauliflower sauce! Yum! Definitely worth trying!

This shrimp fettuccine alfredo is rich only in flavor, but not at all in calories! In fact, a whole pan of this sauce uses only 1/4 cup heavy cream and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, everything else being replaced by very finely mashed cauliflower, mixed with sauteed shallots and garlic for more flavor and fragrance.

Loaded with mushroom flavor, this dish will leave you fully satisfied, yet you will not feel like you just ate a heavy meal loaded with heavy cream or cheese.

Please enjoy this healthier version of alfredo sauce, made even better by adding shrimp, sauteed mushrooms, and sweet peas!

Total time: 1 hour

Ingredients:

• 1 big cauliflower floret
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 2 shallots, minced, or 2 tablespoons of minced onion
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/4 cup (up to 1/2 cup) heavy cream
  • 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese (Parmigiano-Reggiano) or more
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt (or more, to taste)
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 2 cups fresh shelled peas (or use frozen)
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 8 oz sliced mushrooms
  • 1 pound dried fettuccine pasta
  • fresh parsley, for garnish, optional

Ingredients for shrimp:

• 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 22 (count) peeled and deveined shrimp
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/4 teaspoon oregano
  • 1/4 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon chili powder

Makes 6 servings.

This cauliflower sauce reheats beautifully, so feel free to refrigerate the leftovers and reheat them later.

1) Clean the cauliflower head from green leaves, and chop it into reasonably large but manageable pieces. Place it in the big sauce pan with water, bring to boil and boil for 30-40 minutes until cauliflower is really soft. Remove from heat and drain cauliflower from water. Do reserve some cooking water.

2) Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add minced shallot (or 2 tablespoons of minced regular onion) and minced garlic and saute until tender. Add heavy cream and Parmesan cheese and bring to a boil. Cook just for a minute, stirring, until cheese melts. Remove from the heat.

3) In a food processor, combine cauliflower from step 1 and creamy sauce from step 2. Process really well, until a very creamy sauce forms. Feel free to add more heavy cream or cooking water (using 1/4 measuring cup) from step 1 to thin the sauce if it is too thick. Transfer sauce into a large sauce pan and keep it warm on the stove top. Season with salt and pepper, and nutmeg, to taste.

4) In a separate skillet melt 1 tablespoon of butter over medium heat and saute mushrooms until soft and browned. Season with salt and pepper.

5) Cook the peas in boiling water for about 5 minutes, or according to instructions if using frozen peas.

6) Bring a large pot of water to boil and cook the fettuccine in boiling salted water until al dente. Drain.

7) Combine the cauliflower sauce (from step 3), cooked shelled peas (from step 4), and pasta cooked al dente (from step 5). Toss to combine thoroughly – over medium heat. Stir the sauce constantly. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan and garnish with parsley, if desired. Serve immediately.

To prepare shrimp:

1) Rinse the shrimp.

2) Mix salt, pepper, paprika, oregano, cumin, and chili powder in a medium size bowl. Add shrimp to the bowl with spices and mix and toss to coat shrimp with spices.

3) Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large frying pan on high heat. Add shrimp, coated with spices, and cook about 3 minutes on each side, until shrimp becomes red in color on each side. Remove pan from heat.

4) Add cooked shrimp to fettuccine alfredo.

Cauliflower sauce recipe is inspired by Pinch of Yum.

• Alla August 15, 2013, 4:59 am

oh yum!!! you know it’s funny just yesterday I made fetuccine with shrimp and peas.
    We had some men over so I man-lyed it up with bacon. Cauliflower however has been
    on my mind lately so maybe I’ll make this sauce to pour over something else! mnommmm!

• Krista August 15, 2013, 5:33 am

This is absolutely gorgeous and sounds so nutritious and savory. :-) I’m not able to have dairy at the moment, but I’d like to experiment a bit with coconut cream and oil instead of the butter and oil. I think that would work! :-)

• Angie@Angie's Recipes August 15, 2013, 5:39 am

This is so creamy, delicious and healthy! I have to try this healthy version of creamy cauliflower sauce.

• zerrin August 15, 2013, 5:46 am

I know that kind of nightmares! Could this be a kind of disease of us, food bloggers? I love how healthy this fettucine is! No need for lots of heavy cream, great!

• zerrin August 15, 2013, 5:47 am

I love how healthy this fettucine is! No need for lots of heavy cream, great!

• Ashley August 15, 2013, 7:47 am

Love the addition of the mushrooms and peas! I’ve been on a mushroom kick lately – I can’t get enough of them.

• Christin@SpicySouthernKitchen August 15, 2013, 8:05 am

Pinning! Looks delicious and I’ve been wanting to try a cauliflower sauce!

• Rosa August 15, 2013, 8:37 am

Healthy and mighty scrumptious! A wonderful dish which I’d eat anytime.

Cheers,

Rosa

• Monique August 15, 2013, 8:43 am

Julia..you even photo mushrooms well:)
    I love lightened dishes and the thing about alfredo..I always found it too rich..and always loved a J DiStasio recipe w/ cauliflower..it’s such a great thickener..and tasty..thank you for this reminder of your initial post..
    Will try soon.

• Denise Browning@From Brazil To You August 15, 2013, 9:52 am

Gosh, Julia! You made me want to eat pasta for breakfast. This looks seriously delish!!!

• marcie@flavorthemoments August 15, 2013, 10:35 am

I’m not the only one who dreams about recipes, I see! This pasta dish sounds amazing, and your photos are stunning. I love all of the ingredients in this dish and will have to try it!

• Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com August 15, 2013, 11:40 am

Love this recipe – thanks so much for sharing!
    Great post

• Deb August 15, 2013, 12:42 pm

I never say no to the classics! After all there is a good reason the recipes have lasted over time. And a lighter version of Fettuccine Alfredo with shrimp and mushrooms is so scrumptious! A tempting dinner recipe!

• Laura Dembowski August 15, 2013, 1:21 pm

I’m always looking for healthy ways to reinvent the cauliflower alfredo too. It’s so yummy! I make it without cheese and cream and still love it. Fresh peas are an awesome addition, and I love asparagus in it too.

• Tash August 15, 2013, 2:26 pm

Oh this looks delicious and I’m all for losing calories and fat where possible (something I’m now acutely aware of!). I was watching Ellie Krieger’s show on TV the other day and she replaced some mashed potatoes with cauliflower to lighten the calories (and boost nutrition), which I thought was a good idea at the time and now you’ve demonstrated another way to do it!

I used to be really wary of prawns (shrimp) as anyone trying to avoid cholesterol in their diets were advised to avoid them (and avacados) as they are naturally high in cholesterol, but apparently it isn’t ingesting cholesterol that puts yours up but eating saturated fats, so prawns are now back on the menu! Hooray!

• rika@veganmiam.com August 15, 2013, 3:26 pm

Funny that we almost made the same dishes while mine is vegan and made with just beans. I like the idea of adding mushrooms to the dish.

• Hannah August 15, 2013, 9:18 pm

Cauliflower alfredo sounds crazy, but then again, just crazy enough to work. I adore both cauliflower and alfredo individually, so fusing the two should be an instant win!

• Monet August 15, 2013, 11:04 pm

Ah! How perfect! I was just thinking I wanted to try and find a healthier alfredo recipe. Not only did I find one…but I found one that looks absolutely delicious! I wish I had a plate in front of me now. Thank you for sharing! Love the use of cauliflower here!

• Anne ~ Uni Homemaker August 16, 2013, 1:06 am

Looks sensational Julia! I have never paired mushrooms and shrimp before. I’ll have to try that as I adore mushrooms. Pinning!

• Amy Tong August 16, 2013, 4:23 am

Your Healthy fettuccine alfredo with shrimp & mushrooms sounds amazing and super delicious. I love your lighter version too.

• Natasha @ The Cake Merchant August 16, 2013, 9:53 am

I LOVE fettucine alfredo, but I never make it because of all the calories. This healthy version looks great!

• Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes August 16, 2013, 11:42 am

I’ve always wanted to try a cauliflower sauce…they always look so creamy and good! Fettuccine alfredo is one of my favorite meals and I love that you made it healthy!

• Ari @ Ari's Menu August 16, 2013, 2:10 pm

This is RIGHT up my alley!! Looks absolutely amazing!

• Yvonne @ bitterbaker August 16, 2013, 7:29 pm

This looks like a great take on fettuccine alfredo! I love when I stumble upon a great pasta recipe :)

• violeta August 17, 2013, 5:36 am

Hello Julia,
    Thank you for visiting my blog. You have a lovely blog and great posts.Nice shot,makes my mouth water.I love pasta and I must try this combination,looks and sounds delicious!
    have a nice weekend!

• Suzanne Perazzini August 18, 2013, 2:06 am

Wow, that looks good! The combination of flavour with the base sauce is making my taste buds jingle.

• Nami | Just One Cookbook August 18, 2013, 4:45 am

Ah your photos speak themselves! The pasta looks SO good! I’m off to check your healthy alfredo sauce! Loving the seasonings (cumin, hmmm yum!) for shrimp. Such a wonderful flavor going on in this pasta!

• Asmita August 19, 2013, 11:37 pm

DELICIOUS in capital letters.