Crepes with ricotta cheese and blueberries

Crepes with ricotta cheese and blueberries

Because it was my mom who taught me how to make crepes, my dessert of choice for this Mother’s Day is dessert crepes! I love crepes! My mom used to make them for me and my twin sister almost every other weekend when we were growing up. We would usually fill them with all kinds of jam or preserves and have them for breakfast on the weekends. Those were the good old days!

Crepes with ricotta cheese and blueberries

Lately, I really like to fill my crepes with sweetened ricotta cheese filling and stuff them with all kinds of berries. I use agave nectar to sweeten the ricotta cheese, because agave nectar is very sweet and you only need a couple of tablespoons, and it’s easy to mix agave with ricotta cheese on low heat. I tried using regular or brown sugar and it just isn’t the same.

Crepes with ricotta cheese and blueberries

If you know how to make crepes, the rest of this recipe is super easy. This is one of my most favorite desserts, because it’s so easy to make (especially if you have a stack of pre-made crepes) and because it’s filled with berries!

Crepes with ricotta cheese and blueberries

Crepes with ricotta cheese and blueberries

Prep time: 40 min
Cook time: 15 min

Ingredients:

Makes 4 servings

1) Prepare crepes according to instructions.

2) Heat ricotta cheese and agave nectar in a small skillet on medium-high and keep mixing it until the mixture becomes liquid and of even consistency. Remove from heat and let it cool. Once it cools a bit, the mixture would become more solid, which is what we want.

3) To serve: add 2 tablespoons of agave-ricotta cheese mixture on top of the open crepe, scatter blueberries, and fold the crepe in half. Ready to serve!

Crepes with ricotta cheese and blueberries

More crepes recipes:

Click here for your chance to win $100 Visa Gift Card right here, on my site!

• Angie@Angie's Recipes May 11, 2013, 5:40 am

These would make a great weekend breakfast in bed! Yum!

• Choc Chip Uru May 11, 2013, 6:45 am

Your photos are so beautiful, fit to match such a delicious recipe :D

Cheers
    CCU

• Noel Lizotte May 11, 2013, 8:24 am

Can we come for breakfast?! These look amazing … and my husband agrees!

note to self … start practicing making crepes.

• Monique May 11, 2013, 9:10 am

Julia.. spectac..

May I ask if you use natural light>The light is always fantastic.Shine the light fantastic:)
    I love making crepes.

• Julia May 13, 2013, 3:45 am

Oh yes, natural light in this photo. But I don’t use natural light all the time, sometimes I use a speed light in the evenings.

• Denise Browning@From Brazil To You May 11, 2013, 9:19 am

It looks super duper delish, Julia!!!!!

• Deb May 11, 2013, 12:49 pm

I tend to make savory crepes for dinner but after seeing your irresistible blueberries robed in creamy ricotta I must make crepes for Sunday brunch! A lovely recipe!

• Gomo | cHow Divine May 11, 2013, 2:56 pm

I’m a fan of crepes – savory or sweet. These would be wonderful for mother’s day. They look so delicious!

• Colleen, The Smart Cookie Cook May 11, 2013, 3:56 pm

These are beautiful, definitely appropriate for Mother’s Day!

• Hannah May 11, 2013, 7:10 pm

Beautiful crepes! If only all mothers were so lucky. :) I know my mom would love these too, but alas, I still haven’t mastered the crepe-making technique. Maybe some day… It’s certainly an inspiring concept if nothing else.

• Matt @ The Athlete's Plate May 11, 2013, 7:34 pm

My mom would love these! :)

• Anne ~ Uni Homemaker May 12, 2013, 1:26 am

These crepes look fantastic! And with ricotta cheese? YUM! Perfect for Mother’s Day brunch.

• whiness May 12, 2013, 2:40 am

I could eat crepes every day – savoury or sweet, it doesn’t matter. These all taste nice.
    But your ones seem to be just perfectly delicious :)

• Suzanne Perazzini May 12, 2013, 4:42 am

This is a lovely looking dish but I would have to substitute the agave nectar because it is extremely high in fructose – my nemesis. Maple syrup would be a great substitute though.

• Rosa May 12, 2013, 8:03 am

Lovely crepes! They look really delicious.

Cheers,

Rosa

• Tash May 12, 2013, 9:42 am

I love crepes (or pancakes, as most Brits know them!). I wouldn’t have thought of adding ricotta, even though I love it, so I will give this a go when I have a minute. I am also rather fond of them with the ‘traditional’ topping of lemon and sugar – very yummy!

• john@kitchenriffs May 12, 2013, 12:46 pm

I love crepes! These look spectacular, and I’ll bet taste even better. ;-) Good stuff – thanks.

• Beth May 12, 2013, 5:14 pm

Your crepes are so pretty. What a perfect choice for Mother’s Day!

• Kiran @ KiranTarun.com May 13, 2013, 3:14 am

Love the idea of ricotta cheese as a crepe filling. Yum!!

• Kare @ Kitchen Treaty May 13, 2013, 8:16 am

I love crepes, but I find the idea of making them super intimidating! I’m certain they would never look at amazing as yours. Absolutely gorgeous photos – I’m envious. :)

• Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust May 13, 2013, 9:34 am

These are unbelievably gorgeous!

• Ashley May 13, 2013, 3:21 pm

I still really need to try making crepes! Love that sweetened ricotta filling – and the pretty blueberries : )

• Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies May 13, 2013, 7:35 pm

These look so perfect! Blueberries are one of my favorite fillings for crepes. :)

• Rosie @ Blueberry Kitchen May 16, 2013, 8:38 am

These look absolutely gorgeous! I really love the sound of the ricotta and blueberry filling too!

• Emily June 12, 2013, 2:42 pm

These look so good…
    …I can’t wait to try your recipe.

blueberries makes this dish sooo beautiful…

• Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious September 21, 2013, 5:30 pm

These are the BEST crepes ever!

• Martha@A Family Feast September 25, 2013, 9:42 am

Julia – I’ve just discovered your blog and have been repinning your recipes like crazy! :-) Love the simple elegance of your recipes – and your photography is stunning! Keep up the great work!

• kellie February 9, 2014, 8:10 pm

how do you keep the crepes warm or reheat them if you make them ahead of time?

• Julia February 10, 2014, 2:49 pm

If you’re using crepes within the next 2-3 hours, it’s safe to keep them in the oven on an oven proof plate (covered with foil) at a very low-warm temperature oven setting. If you’re using crepes within a couple of days – they are OK kept at room temperature, on a plate, covered with plastic wrap over top. For longer than 2 days, I would keep them refrigerated on a plate, covered with plastic wrap on top. They reheat well in microwave – just use a few seconds to reheat them. When kept covered, they don’t dry out at all.

• Emily {Rainbow Delicious} February 27, 2014, 8:42 pm

I love that your crepes use fresh blueberries in the filling instead of blueberry syrup like so many crepe recipes call for- I can’t wait to try them! I featured your recipe in a recent sweet crepe round up on my blog, thank you!

• Julia March 3, 2014, 3:04 pm

Thank you, Emily, you’re very sweet! :) I did see your round-up – you did a really good job collecting all those recipes together in one post! :)