Basic savory tart crust
9.5 inch tart pan
Prep time: 40 min
Bake time: 40 min
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 9 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- 1 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon ice water
How to make savory tart crust dough:
1) Using food processor, pulse the flour, salt to combine thoroughly.
2) Cut cold butter into small cubes. Add the butter into the food processor and pulse until the consistency becomes that of a coarse meal.
3) In a small cup, combine the egg yolk, ice water and stir well together. Add the egg mixture to the food processor and pulse to combine.
Dust working surface with a very small amount of flour. Shape the dough into a disk on a foil (dusted slightly with flour). I usually do it with my fingers pushing the dough away from its center into a round shape, pressing into the foil.
4) Bring the tart pan over the tart dough to make sure the round is larger in diameter than a tart pan. Grease the tart pan. Then, I take the foil and and ease the round into a tart pan, patting it firmly into the bottom and up the sides. Carefully remove the foil. If some pieces of crust fall off, just gently press them back. Extend the dough slightly above the rim to compensate for any shrinkage during baking.
If your foil gets stuck to the dough, don’t remove it and refrigerate the tart shell with foil on top as described in step 5. After your crust has been refrigerated for at least an hour, you will be able to remove foil easily. Or leave that same piece of foil while you bake the shell with weights as described in step 6.
5) Place the tart pan with the dough in the refrigerator for an hour or overnight (covered with plastic wrap).
How to cook tart crust:
6) Preheat oven to 400 F. Line the cold tart shell with a sheet of aluminum foil, with edges hanging over the sides of the tart pan.
7) Place pie weights into the shell. I use rice, beans, or quinoa.
8) Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, lift the foil and weights out of the pan.
9) Continue baking the tart shell without weights and aluminum foil for 15 minutes, until golden brown color.
10) Remove from the oven. Let it cool.