Honey cake, with cooked flour frosting – Medovik tort

Honey cake - Medovik Tort - торт Медовик

Today is a very special day, my blog’s 1-year anniversary, which I am celebrating by baking a very special honey cake with a very special cooked flour frosting that even The Pioneer Woman raved about back in 2010. If The Pioneer Woman herself called it the best frosting she ever had and urged that you should definitely make it at least once in your lifetime – and I concur 100% – then you have to believe just how great this frosting is! While Ree discovered it only in 2010, my mom has been using this frosting made with flour and milk all along for the last 40 years! And it’s my mom’s recipe that I am sharing here – a recipe for my favorite Russian honey cake with cooked flour frosting – also known as Medovik Tort.

Honey cake - Medovik Tort - торт Медовик

Honey cake - Medovik Tort - торт Медовик

Yes, a year ago today I started this site, working on the very first recipe which I published on August 29th, 2012 – Thai red curry sauce with quinoa. Unbelievable that it’s been already a year: surely, a lot has been done, quite a few recipes have been published, I’ve “met” and discovered so many great and talented food bloggers, and I’ve learned a whole deal about food blogging. Yet, it feels like I’ve only touched the tip of the iceberg: I want to publish more recipes more often, I want to connect more with other food bloggers through comments, social media. I need to learn so many new things, and I want to do so much more! And, the most important thing, I want to balance it better with the rest of my life, because there is so little time, especially with a family, a full-time job, two dogs, friends, and, supposedly, a regular work-out schedule. I want to do more, but sometimes I feel lost as to when and how to manage it all! I welcome any tips and suggestions. :)

Honey cake - Medovik Tort - торт Медовик

But, let’s go back to this amazing cake with an amazing, Pioneer Woman approved frosting, shall we? Growing up, this was the cake that our mom would make every year for me and my twin sister for our birthday parties, and since it’s a 1-year birthday of my blog, it is only appropriate to celebrate it with this cake, isn’t it?

Honey cake - Medovik Tort - торт Медовик

This cake is definitely a celebratory cake, perfect for parties, birthdays, or anniversaries! I urge you to try it, if only to get a taste of this delicious frosting made from flour and milk – one of the best you’ll ever try! It’s much lighter than buttercream frosting, as it uses less butter because we’re using flour/milk slurry as a thickening agent or butter-replacement here. The cooked flour frosting is also amazingly easy to spread and pipe. All-in-all it’s just a great, lighter cake frosting!

Honey cake - Medovik Tort - торт Медовик

The frosting is essentially made by cooking flour and milk mixture, constantly stirring, on low-medium or even high-medium heat until it really thickens and all lumps dissolve. Separately, room temperature butter and white sugar are beaten really well, using electrical mixer. Then, the cooled flour/milk concoction is gradually added to the butter/sugar mixture and beaten until very creamy and smooth. It is very important that you use all purpose white bleached flour! If you use unbleached flour, your frosting will not be white in the end!

Honey cake - Medovik Tort - торт Медовик

It’s a very special cake, and I loved it since I was a kid. Even though it’s called honey cake, a relatively small amount of honey is used: only 1/4 cup for the cake batter, and there is no honey in the frosting cream. Yet, even this small amount of honey gives this very subtle and delicious flavor to the whole cake. And, don’t forget that you will spread this cake with the most amazing cake frosting made from a slurry of milk and flour!

Honey cake - Medovik Tort - торт Медовик

Honey cake – Medovik Tort – торт Медовик

Prep time: 1 hour 30 min

Cake:

• 1 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 8 tablespoons butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 1.5 teaspoon baking powder
  • 4 cups flour

Cooked flour frosting / Cream:

• 2 cups milk
  • 1 cup all-purpose white, bleached flour (NOTE: it says “bleached” – very important!)
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 2 sticks unsalted butter

Makes a large cake, enough to make 30 generous servings.

Cake:

1) Preheat oven to 350 F.

2) In a medium pan, add 1 cup sugar, 1/4 cup honey and 1 stick butter – heat it up on low heat until everything is blended well together: honey softens up and sugar dissolves.

3) In a large mixing bowl, whisk 2 eggs and 1.5 teaspoon baking powder until well combined. Add heated honey mixture from step 2 to the eggs mixture and stir until everything is well incorporated. Let the mixture cool down. When the mixture has cooled off, add 4.5 cups flour and whisk until just combined. You will have a pretty thick cake batter.

4) Divide the cake batter in 4 portions, because we will have 4 layers of cake. Line 2 cookie sheets with foil, spray with non-stick spray. Using your hands, roll out the the first layer of the cake batter onto the lined cookie sheet, spreading the batter across the sheet. I usually run my hands under cold water, shake off some excess water and use wet hands to handle the dough – that way it doesn’t stick to your fingers. I actually use my hands to spread the batter across a cookie sheet and form a rectangle. I repeatedly rinse my hands with cold water (shaking off excessive water) to help spread the batter. Roll out the second layer of the cake batter onto the second cookie sheet sprayed with non-stick spray. Bake both sheets at the same time for 15 minutes at 350 F. When they are done, they should turn golden brown color. Remove from oven and remove the foil with the cake layer onto the cold surface to cool off.

5) In the same manner as described in step 4, prepare the 2 remaining layers of the cake batter on the same cooking sheets, using new sheets of aluminum foil. Also, bake for 15 minutes. Let all 4 layers cool completely. Trim the edges so that all layers are the same size.

6) Using food processor, finely chop the edges you just sliced off to create finely crumbled mixture which you will use to decorate the cake in the final step.

Cooked flour frosting / Cream:

1) In a medium mixing bowl, whisk 2 cups of milk with 1 cup of flour until very well combined. The mixture in its thickness should resemble crepe batter (if you ever made one :)). It is very important that you use all-purpose white bleached flour! If you use unbleached flour, your frosting will not be white in the end!

2) Add this mixture to a small pan and heat it up on low-medium heat, until mixture thickens and starts boiling, constantly stirring. At this point your mixture will start thickening really fast and will not be liquid any more – it will turn into very thick dough-like mixture, and will have lots of big clumps – that’s OK. Remove from heat, and continue stirring the hot thick mixture until all clumps dissolve – and they will dissolve easily at this point. You will have a nice slurry of flour and milk. Continue stirring the mixture until it somewhat cools down – it will help prevent it from sticking it to the bottom of the pan. It will be pretty hard to stir it as the mixture should be very thick. Allow this slurry mixture to completely cool down, occasionally stirring. You might even put it in the refrigerator.

3) In a large mixing bowl, using electric mixer, beat 2 sticks of butter with 1 cup of sugar until very creamy and white.

4) When the slurry of flour and milk from step 1 is cooled, add it gradually to the large mixing bowl with butter/sugar mixture, and continue beating, using electric mixer, until well incorporated and thick. Place the cream in the refrigerator to cool further.

To assemble the cake:

1) Place one of the four cake layers on a large serving platter, spread 1/5th of the cream over the top. Place the other cake layer on top; spread another 1/5th of the cream over the top. Repeat with 2 remaining layers.

2) Spread the remaining cream over the the four sides of the assembled cake. Sprinkle finely crumbled mixture (That you made in the food processor earlier) all over the top and the sides of the cake. Keep the cake in the refrigerator, and it only gets better the next day, when the cake layers soak up some of the cream and puff up, making the cake even taller.

MY BEST BOARDS ON PINTEREST:

I collect the most popular & repinned recipes on this PINTEREST board:
Follow my PUMPKIN board on Pinterest

It’s a PUMPKIN SEASON! Check out my PUMPKIN board on PINTEREST:
Follow my PUMPKIN board on Pinterest

• Marcie August 29, 2013, 1:14 am

Wow, Julia, this cake looks amazing, and that frosting sounds so unique. I’ve never heard of it — what kind of baker am I?! I need to pin this, it looks so good. Happy blogaversary!! What a way to celebrate.

• Julia August 29, 2013, 1:05 pm

Thank you, Marcie. It’s an amazing frosting, one of my favorite!

• Denise Browning@From Brazil To You August 29, 2013, 1:25 am

Nothing like something that one’s grew up eating…This honey cake looks terrific. I also loved to hear about your childhood memories. I had no idea that you had a twin sis. How cool that is!!! Happy one-year anniversary to your blog!!! Wishing it many, many more…

• Julia August 29, 2013, 1:06 pm

Thank you, Denise, I like that: wishing you many, many more …. :) I hope so too :)

• Alla August 29, 2013, 2:01 am

Julia! I had no idea you have Russian roots!?!? me toooooo – well I was born in Ukraine to be precise and moved to the US with my family when I was 10. I LOVE this cake, my mom also made this for special occasions! I have just recently started on this big kick of re-discovering the Russian/Ukrainian roots and this was the cake I tackled first, here is a shot of it: http://instagram.com/p/TsphpMwqXV/ I made it for Christmas and it was so successful I made it for NYE as well! I used Olga’s recipe (http://www.olgasflavorfactory.com/favorites/medovik-honey-layer-cake) but I’m super curious now to try it your way now! will let you know :)

• Julia August 29, 2013, 1:13 pm

That cake on Instagram looks delicious! I know that there is a version of this Russian honey cake with frosting made with sweetened condensed milk (like Olga’s Flavor Factory’s version), and I’d love to try that someday. My frosting does not use condensed milk. I am very curious about the condensed milk frosting and would love to compare the consistencies of both! :)

• Irina @ wandercrush August 29, 2013, 4:22 am

Happy blogoversary! This is a beautiful cake, suitable for the celebration ;) I’ve never done a cooked flour frosting before, but it sounds brilliant.

• Julia August 29, 2013, 1:14 pm

Thank you, Irina! :)

• Kumar's Kitchen August 29, 2013, 4:58 am

A VERY VERY HAPPY BLOG ANNIVERSARY!!! You have a beautiful food blog,this cake looks brilliant with that crumbly frosting,delicious dessert :-)

• Julia August 29, 2013, 1:18 pm

Thank you so much for your wishes and visiting my site! :)

• Angie@Angie's Recipes August 29, 2013, 5:48 am

The cake looks so beautiful! Medovik Tort flour frosting sounds so interesting.

• Julia August 29, 2013, 1:18 pm

Thanks, Angie.

• Ashley August 29, 2013, 7:02 am

Happy anniversary to your blog!! These cake sounds delicious – I love the sound of a honey cake. I feel the same way about balancing everything – time with my husband, friends, my dog, a day job, life in general! It’s hard – I usually get up really early to fit it all in – which isn’t always super fun : ) haha But for now, it’s what works!

• Julia August 29, 2013, 1:19 pm

Yes, that’s what I got to start doing – getting up even earlier than I do now. I tend to do the opposite: stay up late at night to catch up on everything. :) Thank you, Ashley. :)

• Monique August 29, 2013, 9:03 am

Happy Anniversary..I am so glad i found you when I did:)
    This cake is beautiful cut ..perfection.
    I don’t think I have bought white flour..I may have cake and pastry flour..Wonder if that could work..
    You do have a beautiful blog and the photos are always so pinnable:)

• Julia August 29, 2013, 1:21 pm

Monique, I am so glad I have your blog to read! It’s so inspiring with all the creative projects you undertake – I love it! Thank you for your sweet words. :)

• Barb August 29, 2013, 9:09 am

Happy Blogversary! this cake looks divine and that recipe for icing is very intriguing. I look forward to your posts no matter how often you blog… your content is top notch!

• Julia August 29, 2013, 1:23 pm

Barb, so sweet of you! I can only say the same about you. Love your inspiring photography and how you experiment with light, texture, and themes of your photos. I always leave your blog feeling really good about life! :)

• Lindsey @ American Heritage Cooking August 29, 2013, 9:23 am

Congratulations Julia! I’ve been following your blog for about 8 months now and I’ve been captivated by your photography, recipies and joie de vivre from the start. If you say this is the best icing ever, then I believe you! I can’t wait to try it!

• Julia August 29, 2013, 1:24 pm

Thank you, Lindsey, so sweet of you. :) It’s not only me who says this is the best frosting, The Pioneer Woman says so too – and her words carry much more weight than mine :). I love your blog as well and have been joyfully following it too, as you know :).

• Karen (Back Road Journal) August 29, 2013, 9:41 am

Your cake looks wonderful. What a nice way to celebrate your first year of blogging. Congratulations!

• Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust August 29, 2013, 9:45 am

Happy blogiversary!!! So exciting! I love this cake, it’s so gorgeous.

• Julia August 29, 2013, 1:24 pm

Thank you, Dorothy! Always happy to see your comments. :)

• Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl August 29, 2013, 10:08 am

Happy Day! This cake looks amazing, I would like 4 pieces of it! :)

• Julia August 29, 2013, 1:31 pm

Thank you, Pamela. :)

• Yvonne @ bitter baker August 29, 2013, 10:40 am

Ohh yum!! This looks amazing! I saw a similar recipe a while back, but truth to be told – this looks ten times better! Maybe I should surprise my Russian friend with one of these next time she comes over :)

• Julia August 29, 2013, 1:32 pm

Yes, that would be one very pleasant surprise for your Russian friend. :)

• Deb August 29, 2013, 11:37 am

What a lovely cake for such an important occasion! Congratulations!

• Julia August 29, 2013, 1:32 pm

Thank you, Deb. :)

• Tash August 29, 2013, 11:39 am

Happy Bloggiversary! It’s always a magical milestone to reach your first year and to be able to look back on your body of work. And what a lively way to celebrate your achievements! I haven’t heard of a cooked-flour frosting at all, but I am always looking for ways to reduce the calorie/fat/sugar content of things I eat, so this looks like one for me. I tend to use cornflour (corn starch), like the French, to thicken what is essentially a white sauce – do you think it would work here? It might lighten it up a bit? From what I’ve read, it is banned to use bleaching agents in flour over here (!), so cornflour might provide that very-white colour too. I definitely love the sound of the recipe and the honey element. I must give it a go!

• Julia August 29, 2013, 1:39 pm

Hi Tash, always good to see you commenting here. :) I’ve never used corn starch in a frosting, so I am not sure how it would work. Bleached flour is banned in the UK, really? How interesting. I made this frosting with unbleached flour too, and it came out really good, just not as white as this one, but still attractive. :) So I would go with just regular unbleached flour. :) And, congratulations on your 10 years – just sneaked over to your blog and saw your post. :)

• Christin@SpicySouthernKitchen August 29, 2013, 12:27 pm

Happy Blog Anniversary! This looks like such an impressive cake and I have never heard of a cooked flour frosting. Really must try it! I do love frosting. The cake part sounds delicious too!

• Julia August 29, 2013, 1:40 pm

Thank you, Christin, always so good to hear from you! :)

• Nami | Just One Cookbook August 29, 2013, 1:03 pm

Happy 1 year blogiversary! Yes, this cake seems and sounds like a perfect way to celebrate such a big milestone. I haven’t been here for a while but you updated the site too. Very nice! I’m still struggling to find time for blog, and I have to say my only way to survive was to give up my sleep and free time. Not very “balanced” but I can only work after kids go to sleep and you know how time flies when you are working for blog! I need some tip on time management too! Always enjoy your photography and recipes, keep up the great work, Julia!

• Natasha of Natashaskitchen.com August 29, 2013, 1:43 pm

Pinned! Yum that looks delicious and soft. I can almost taste this deliciousness. Thanks for sharing!

• Julia August 29, 2013, 2:42 pm

Thanks, Natasha! :) My favorite cake!

• Laura Dembowski August 29, 2013, 3:34 pm

Congratulations on the blogiversary and the new blog design! It looks totally awesome! As does this cake. I need a celebration to make it for.

• Julia August 29, 2013, 3:41 pm

Thanks, Laura, always so good to see your comments! :)

• Lea @ Lea's Cooking August 29, 2013, 3:48 pm

Happy blogoversary Julia! Medovik cake is really delicious!!! Yummy! :)

• Julia August 29, 2013, 3:50 pm

Thanks, Lea. :) Medovik is one of the best cakes ever!

• Tina @ Tina's Chic Corner August 29, 2013, 3:57 pm

Happy 1 year! This cake looks AMAZING! It’s beautiful and looks mad tasty. :)

• Julia August 30, 2013, 2:48 pm

Thanks, Tina :)

• Reeni August 29, 2013, 8:07 pm

Happy Birthday! Your honey cake is gorgeous! I’m a honey and cake lover so the two together make me very happy. I’m intrigued by the frosting too! I never heard of such a thing – can’t wait to try it. Wishing you another great year of blogging!

• Julia August 30, 2013, 2:51 pm

Thank you, Reeni! I love honey-based cakes, need to make them more often and experiment. :)

• Yelena August 29, 2013, 9:17 pm

Julia, this is my favorite cake!!! Congratulations on your first year, you are doing amazing job!

• Julia August 30, 2013, 2:52 pm

Yelena, thank you! :) I feel like I need to make another one, soon. :)

• Hannah August 29, 2013, 9:27 pm

My goodness, those are some beautiful layers! Anything cake that totals more than three levels of cake just blows me away, but yours looks especially tender and tasty.

• Julia August 30, 2013, 2:54 pm

Thank you Hannah, the cake is really tender and it actually gets taller after the first day, when some of the frosting gets absorbed by the cake layers.

• Liz August 29, 2013, 10:03 pm

Happy birthday to your blog!!! What a magnificent, celebratory cake…I love all the beautiful layers!

• Julia August 30, 2013, 2:54 pm

Liz, thank you! Celebratory cake it is!

• Krista August 30, 2013, 12:31 am

As soon as I saw the first photo it reminded me of Russia. :-) I love this cake!! I lived in Russia for a few months and when I returned home, I found a Russian bakery in San Francisco that made this cake. Such happiness. :-)

• Julia August 30, 2013, 2:55 pm

How cool that you lived in Russia for a few months! Yes, this is a very popular Russian cake, any Russian bakery would usually carry it. :)

• Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen August 30, 2013, 1:22 am

Happy 1st Blogiversary, Julia! Oh, that cooked buttercream frosting…my grandmother made her Red Velvet Cake with it and it was just divine. LOVE your pretty layered honey cake! And, you photographed it so beautifully. Cannot wait to make this one…it looks so inviting. All of your sentiments, reflecting your 1st year in blogging? DITTO! Thanks ever so much for sharing! :)

• Julia August 30, 2013, 2:59 pm

Yes, that’s what I’ve read – that this frosting is actually a classic frosting used on the Red Velvet Cake, so I am glad to know that you’ve tried it. :) Because for most people, it’s a pretty unusual frosting, and they usually never had it. But you did, of course. :)

• Anne ~ Uni Homemaker August 30, 2013, 1:31 am

Happy Blogiversary Julia! :) I celebrated my 1 year two weeks earlier. :) Yay to our first year! This cake is the perfect way to celebrate. Looks absolutely stunning and delicious! Did I mention you are a pro at blogging? Your photos are just gorgeous!

• Julia August 30, 2013, 3:02 pm

Anne, you are so sweet! I can’t believe you also celebrated your 1-year anniversary recently – I thought you were at this for much longer! :) We’re almost the same age then. :)

• Rosa August 30, 2013, 2:50 am

A wonderful cake! It looks ever so tempting and delicious. I’ve never heard of that torte before…

Cheers,

Rosa

• Julia August 30, 2013, 3:03 pm

Rosa, thank you! :)

• veganmiam.com August 30, 2013, 6:49 am

Happy 1-year anniversary and your Thai red curry with quinoa sounds so yummy! Yummy on a Russian cake! I would love to veganize some Russian desserts someday soon!

• Julia August 30, 2013, 3:04 pm

Thank you! :)

• violeta August 30, 2013, 11:14 am

Wow Julia,your posts are like torture! :) I want to eat your cakes so bad every time I see them. They look so delicious!!!
    I’ll definitely try this recipe,but I must buy bleached flour!:)
    Happy bloggiversary!

• Julia August 30, 2013, 3:05 pm

Thank you, Violeta. :) I just love your blog and your beautifully styled photos!

• Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes August 30, 2013, 12:47 pm

Happy one year blogoversary to you!!!!!!!!!! Beautiful cake!

• Julia August 30, 2013, 3:05 pm

Thank you, Ashley! :)

• Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com August 30, 2013, 2:41 pm

So glad I stumbled by your blog today – HAPPY BLOGVESSARY!!!
    This cake looks devine! I could just face plant right into it!

• Julia August 30, 2013, 3:06 pm

Haha! :) Thank you Shashi!

• Marina | Let the Baking Begin August 30, 2013, 2:49 pm

Wow Julie! Such a successful year you had! Happy blogoversary!
    I love medivik but have never made it myself. I think it’s time for me to tackle this already)))
    Your cakes looks wonderful! . So this cream that you mention is actually like a custard without eggs, right? My mom made it with cream of wheat, since its also a wheat derivative, so it probably tastes similarly to yours? Here’s the one i made with somilar frosting … http://letthebakingbeginblog.com/2009/02/holiday-cake-празднечный-торт/
    Once again, happy blogoversary!

• Julia August 30, 2013, 5:56 pm

Thank you, Marina, :) for your very sweet words. I looked at your recipe, and yes your mom’s frosting using “manka” is very similar to this one. It’s exactly the same concept, except you’re using “manka”, and I am using flour. Then this slurry is added to the butter and sugar (already beaten with mixer). That recipe you sent me to looks so good with all that meringue ! :) I love meringue cakes – my aunt used to make this huge meringue cake with “drunken cherries” all over it and cream in between – yum!

• Angie August 30, 2013, 6:10 pm

Happy one year blog anniversary!

Thank you so much for this recipe! I tried honey cake once in a cafe in Hamburg and was searching all over for this recipe. Finally I think this is the closest I could get to the recipe to this cake!

• Julia August 31, 2013, 2:22 am

Thank you, Angie :). Oh yes, honey cake flavor is unforgettable! That’s why I want to keep making more and more of this cake! :)

• Patty August 31, 2013, 12:09 am

Congratulations on your one year anniversary!! Your blog is beautiful and recipes always delicious ;) How interesting that you’ve made a cake frosting using cooked flour – I’m sure it tastes amazing on your lovely cake ;)

• Julia August 31, 2013, 2:26 am

Patty, thank you! :) Always very happy to see comments from you. You know how much I adore your blog and your recipes – I pin them all the time! :)

• Natasha @ The Cake Merchant August 31, 2013, 1:15 pm

Happy Blogiversary, Julia! This cake looks wonderful, and I love your new blog design!

• Julia September 1, 2013, 10:51 pm

Natasha, thank you! :)

• john@kitchenriffs September 1, 2013, 1:54 pm

Happy first year! And thanks for baking this cake to celebrate! I’ve not tasted one of these, and it’s a wonderful looking cake. Truly excellent – thanks.

• Julia September 1, 2013, 10:53 pm

Thank you, John! Baking this cake was a pure pleasure for me since I got to eat most of it! :)

• Rachel Cotterill September 2, 2013, 11:44 am

I had a very similar-looking cake in Estonia, called meekook. I’ve been planning to make it ever since so I will have to try your recipe! :)

• Julia September 6, 2013, 4:47 am

I just looked up meekook – it does look so similar to this honey cake! :)

• Juliana Walters September 2, 2013, 2:16 pm

Julia, I have no idea how anyone juggles blogging with the rest of their life stuff. All I know is that I really enjoy it so I’ll continue to do it.
    But, if someone ever does give you some good advice about it you should share it with the rest of us. Did you do your header design. I think it is beautiful! And your cake is gorgeous!

• Juliana Walters September 2, 2013, 2:19 pm

One more question, if it’s OK. Did you use a plugin for you recipe index? If so, which one? Thanks!

• Julia September 6, 2013, 4:48 am

Juliana, no I did not use a plugin! I searched, and I searched, and I couldn’t find anything. Maybe I did not search enough. In the end, I just created thumbnails myself with links to the categories.

• Kiran @ KiranTarun.com September 3, 2013, 1:16 am

Happy Blogiversary my dear. And what a delicious cake for celebration :)

• Julia September 6, 2013, 4:49 am

Kiran, thank you! :)

• Ari @ Ari's Menu September 3, 2013, 2:01 pm

What a unique recipe!! I’ve never seen anything like it, and it looks delish!

• Julia September 6, 2013, 4:49 am

Yes, it’s quite unique and very tasty! And, the Pioneer Woman made this frosting too! :)

• Nik@A Brown Table September 3, 2013, 9:33 pm

What a great way to celebrate your first year of blogging, Julia! Congratulations. The frosting sure looks amazing.

• Julia September 6, 2013, 4:49 am

Thank you, Nik. :)

• Jennifer @ Delicieux September 4, 2013, 1:39 am

Happy blog anniversary! This cake looks amazing, and that frosting is so unique!

• Julia September 6, 2013, 4:50 am

Thanks, Jennifer! Yes, the frosting is unique, but worth trying :)

• Jocelyn @ BruCrew Life September 4, 2013, 2:08 am

Happy first blog anniversary!! :) This cake is gorgeous, and like so many others, haven’t heard of cooked flour frosting, but it sounds amazing!!

• Julia September 6, 2013, 4:51 am

Thank you, Jocelyn! :) Cooked flour frosting is simply amazing, I recommend to everybody to try it at least once!

• The Café Sucre Farine September 4, 2013, 11:31 am

I’m a bit late but as I was wrapped up with little grandkids but I’m glad I have a chance to wish you a happy anniversary Julia, you have a beautiful blog and this cake looks amazing. It’s so fun to be able to re-create memories from our childhood with food!

• Julia September 6, 2013, 4:53 am

Yes, this cake means so much too me! It’s not only very tasty, it sort of transports me back into my childhood and brings back only good memories. :) This cake is a very positive experience for me on so many levels. :)

• Amy Tong September 4, 2013, 3:37 pm

Happy 1-year anniversary to your blog! This Honey Cake is a wonderful cake to celebrate for the occasion! :) How gorgeous. I don’t think I’ve ever try the cooked flour frosting! What am I missing out!? Can’t wait to give this a try soon.

• Julia September 6, 2013, 4:54 am

Amy, thank you for your kind words! :) Yes, this cooked flour frosting is definitely worth trying!

• Annie @ Natural Sweet Recipes September 5, 2013, 5:19 pm

How beautiful! I love honey flavored anything. I will have to try this cake out. Happy 1 year to your blog! You have a lovely site. :)

• Julia September 6, 2013, 4:55 am

Thank you, Annie! :) Honey gives this cake a very subtle and delicious flavor. I love it! What can I say? It’s one of my most favorite cakes ever! :)

• Julia @Vikalinka September 6, 2013, 6:13 am

Happy anniversary, as a first year blogger myself, I know it’s a big deal! I can’t say enough good things about how beautiful your blog is! I can’t imagine how far you will go if this is your first year. :-) Great choice of the celebratory cake, it’s one of my favourites as well. I experimented a little with my mom’s recipe and added mascarpone to the frosting to make it a bit more stiff. Here is the link. I made it for the Valentine’s Day so it’s a bit dramatic. :-)

• Julia September 6, 2013, 1:08 pm

Thank you, Julia, you’re very sweet! :) This cake is always my # 1 choice for a celebration cake! Just give me an excuse to make it. :) I checked out your medovik cake – oh mine, those caramel flames are unbelievable! I love it how you dressed it up, and it looks like a fine French dessert on the outside :).

• Erika September 9, 2013, 9:14 pm

I am so intrigued by this cooked flour frosting concept. It seems like a lot of flour in the frosting! But I am all about less butter, so I definitely want to try this!

I can’t believe you’ve only been blogging for a year–your blog looks totally fab! Keep up the good work :)

• Julia September 10, 2013, 4:19 am

Erika, it is a lot of flour in the frosting, but trust the recipe! :) (and, don’t forget to sift the flour to avoid overpacking the flour in the measuring cup). I also use 2 sticks of butter and 1 cup of sugar in this frosting – so 1 cup of flour is just the right amount to thicken 2 cups of milk and thicken the frosting. It will come out wonderful! I made it many times. :) The really difficult part of the recipe is to be very patient with the flour-milk slurry and let it boil and yet not let it overcook, stirring at all times. And, it’s key not to overpanic if you see too many lumps forming in the process. :) All lumps should disappear if you continue stirring and follow the recipe.

• Dina September 18, 2013, 3:29 pm

looks delish!

• Winnie September 22, 2013, 3:30 pm

Your version of the cake looks and sounds great!!
    As you know (you commented on my post) – I made a little different version of this cake.
    I’m going to check a few more of your posts…. :)

• Natasha (@NatashasKitchen) September 25, 2013, 6:52 pm

I’ve pinned this recipe and my readers seem to really like it. Happy 1 year to your blog Julia, fun is just getting started :).

• Julia October 3, 2013, 3:18 am

Thanks, Natasha! Yes, I’ve noticed the re-pins from your pin of this recipe – very nice! :)

• Tatin April 4, 2014, 2:40 pm

Hi Julia,
    The recipe says to use 4 cups of flour for the cake but in the instructions it says to add 4.5 cups, which is the right amount?