My mom used to make pumpkin or butternut squash turnovers when I was a child, and I always loved their sweet peppery taste. It’s been more than 10 years since I ate these last time, so I finally decided to make them again, using puff pastry.
Butternut Squash Turnovers Recipe
Prep time: 60 min
Bake time: 30 min
- 1 Butternut Squash, medium size
- 1 sheet of Puff Pastry, defrosted
- 1 Onion, medium size
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons Flour (for dusting)
- 1 egg for egg wash
- a dash of Pepper, Salt
Prepare butternut squash filling:
1) First, I had to cook the squash to soften it. It is also easier to peel it once it’s cooked. Preheat oven to 400.
2) Cut the squash in 2 parts, scrape out the seeds and the fiber.
3) Spray the baking sheet with oil and place the squash on the baking sheet cut side down.
4) Bake for about 30 minutes, remove it out of the oven and cool: flip the squash so that cut side faces up – that will speed up the cooling.
5) Once squash is cooled, peel it. The skin will come off really easily.
6) Then, using a large grater, grate the squash and put it in a large mixing bowl.
7) In the mean-time, finely dice an onion, heat olive oil in the frying pan and saute diced onions until translucent.
8) Add cooked onion to the mixing bowl with squash. Mix onions and squash well, salt and pepper to taste.
How to fill puff pastry with prepared butternut squash filling:
9) Dust your working surface with flour and cut one sheet of puff pastry into 9 equal squares.
10) Take each square of puff pastry, stretch it a bit to make it bigger, place it on floured work surface, fill one half of the square with butternut squash mixture, fold the other half on top to form a triangle, press the sides to close with your fingers.
11) Whisk an egg in a small bowl, until mixed well and brush the top of each turnover with a whisked egg.
12) Transfer turnovers to the lightly greased cookie sheet. Sprinkle the top of each turnover with poppy seeds.
13) Bake for about 20 minutes or until nice golden color.
More puff pastry recipes:
- Apple tarte tatin, or simply caramel apple tart, with strawberries
- Rugelach with pecan and raisin filling
- Cinnamon apple pockets, puff pastry
- Halloween apple and pear mummy treats
- Nightmare harvest: Halloween pumpkin puff pastry pie (tart) with apple-cranberry stuffed crust, chocolate bugs, and cinnamon wizard hats
- Plum and apple tart on puff pastry
- Puff pastry pizza with bell peppers, mushrooms, and Mozzarella cheese