Scallop Spaghetti in Creamy White Wine Butter Garlic Sauce with Capers - a gourmet meal that's easy to make! Scallops are first seared and then smothered in creamy butter garlic pasta sauce with capers. You'll love this Italian pasta. Scallops are moist and full of flavor!
Looking to introduce something new into your weeknight dinner menu? Then, make this scallop spaghetti with white wine sauce! Your family will love it! This Italian style pasta looks fancy and presentable like an entree from a gourmet restaurant. But it's easy to make.
What do scallops taste like? Scallops have a mild, buttery, almost sweet taste.
What to serve with scallops? They taste amazing on their own like these seared scallops with bacon in lemon cream sauce. You can serve them roasted asparagus or green beans. Scallops are also fantastic with creamy pasta and garlic. Take a look at this delicious scallop pasta with creamy Mozzarella sauce.
What makes this recipe special
- The simple alfredo sauce is made with white wine! Wine adds so much dimension to a regular pasta sauce. Use Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio, or Sauvignon Blanc.
- The scallops and pasta absorb the creamy white wine sauce with garlic. You get the creamy deliciousness with every bite! You will love the addition of capers to the creamy pasta sauce.
- Scallops are pan-seared in the skillet with olive oil until crispy. They acquire a beautiful golden crust that will make your dinner look very gourmet and appetizing.
- Pan-seared scallops and pasta are then combined with easy-to-make white wine garlic sauce. Because the sauce uses butter, Parmesan cheese, and heavy cream, you can call this dish scallop pasta alfredo.
- Creamy white wine butter garlic sauce also features capers. They provide a sharp and salty taste to the scallops and pasta.
Why make this recipe
- Because the scallops are smothered in a creamy sauce, they are moist and flavorful. You don't have to worry about overcooked scallops when you combine them with creamy pasta. White wine butter garlic sauce will make scallops taste creamy and soft.
- What's great about scallop pasta recipes is that you don't have to worry about a side dish. You get a complete meal in a single dinner.
- The scallop pasta in white wine sauce with capers looks very gourmet, but it's easy to make.
Best scallops to use for pasta
- Use sea scallops. They are big size scallops that are usually about 1.5 to 2 inches in diameter.
- Because of their large size, sea scallops are easy to sear. Using them will make it easy to get that nice golden crust on your scallops.
How to thaw frozen scallops
- Thaw frozen scallops in the fridge overnight.
- Do not use a microwave oven. Don't thaw on the kitchen counter.
- After thawing and right before cooking, pat dry scallops with paper towels.
Creamy white wine butter garlic sauce
This is a creamy sauce featuring cream and Parmesan cheese - perfect for scallop pasta:
- First, cook butter, olive oil, and minced garlic on medium heat for about 1 minute, until garlic softens. Then add white wine and bring to boil. Boil for several minutes until the wine reduces in half.
- Next, add heavy cream and Parmesan cheese. Simmer and stir for several minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in drained capers and freshly squeezed lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper.
Tips for searing scallops
- Use a large skillet. This will give you more surface for searing more scallops. It's important not to overcrowd scallops. If you use a small or medium-size skillet, you might have to sear scallops in 2 batches.
- Use a stainless steel skillet or cast iron skillet. These skillets work best for searing and creating a golden crust.
- Make sure the scallops are completely thawed. Pat dry scallops with paper towels.
Scallops and pasta in white wine sauce might look like a gourmet meal, but there are many variations you can make to this recipe:
- Use any type of pasta with long strands. Use spaghetti, fettuccine, pappardelle, or linguine pasta.
- To make creamy alfredo sauce you can use any of these cheeses: Parmesan, Mozzarella, Pecorino Romano, or Asiago.
- Best wines to use for white wine sauce: Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Grigio.
Delicious gourmet scallop recipes
If you enjoyed this scallop spaghetti, take a look at other delicious recipes:
- Scallop Pasta with Creamy Mozzarella Sauce
- Seared Scallops with Bacon in Lemon Butter Sauce
- Seared Scallops with Creamy Lemon Caper Sauce
Scallop Spaghetti in White Wine Sauce
White Wine Sauce
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese shredded
- 2 tablespoons capers drained
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice freshly squeezed
- salt to taste
- 8 oz spaghetti
- 1 pound scallops medium size, about 12-14 scallops, thawed completely if frozen
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
How to make white wine sauce
- In a medium skillet, heat butter, olive oil and minced garlic on medium heat.
- Cook for about a minute, until garlic softens.
- Add wine. Bring to boil. Boil for several minutes until the amount of wine reduces approximately to half.
- Add heavy cream and Parmesan cheese. Bring to boil, and immediately reduce to simmer. Simmer for a couple of minutes, stirring at all times, until the sauce thickens a bit.
- Remove from heat. Stir in drained capers and freshly squeezed lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Taste, add more lemon juice, salt and and pepper if needed. Keep covered.
- Cook spaghetti according to package instructions until al dente. Drain. Add to the sauce, stir to combine.
How to sear scallops
- If using frozen scallops, make sure the scallops are thawed completely.
- Blot each scallop with paper towels to remove extra water.
- Season scallops with salt
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet on high heat until hot but not smoking. Oil should not be smoking, just rolling easily around the skillet.
- Add scallops without overcrowding the pan.
- Sear on one side for about 4 minutes until the scallops are a golden color. Don't move the scallops around the pan in the beginning.
- Turn the scallops to the other side and cook for 2 or 3 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and transfer the scallops to the plate immediately.
- Don't allow the scallops rest in the hot skillet, off heat. That will make them steam and lose their crust.
- Add cooked scallops to the spaghetti with the creamy white wine sauce and reheat gently. Serve.
The nutritional information on this website is only an estimate and is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed. It should not be used as a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
I made this for supper tonight excellent my husband and I really enjoyed it I did brown scallops fist and used same cast iron pan to make sauce will be making this again 5 stars
Judy, thank you for this rave review! Love it! ❤️
Absolutely delicious! We doubled the sauce to make sure we had an ultra rich, feel-good winter meal. Can’t get over how great it was!
Very good. I seared the scallops, removed them and cooked the sauce in the same pan. I deglazed the pan with the white wine, making the flavour of the sauce quite rich.
Chris, you made this recipe more efficient - love it! White wine adds so much flavor to the sauce - glad you enjoyed it! 🙂
I wasn't able to get my scallops as golden brown as in the photo, but the meal was delicious.
Anne, I am glad this dish turned out well!
Allie, this recipe is a perfect Winter comfort food with seafood! 🙂 I am so glad you enjoyed it! 🙂
Wow Julia! This was our New Year's Eve dinner and it was just fabulous! We love your recipes and every one I have made has been a success. Our dinner guests are pleased and ask for the recipe and I happily share my source and recommend you to others. Thank you!
Della-Marie, your comment really made my day! 🙂 So glad my recipe was part of your New Year's Eve dinner and thank you for recommending my recipes to your friends! 🙂 Happy New Year!
My New Years Eve dinner. Just perfect and delicious
Lisa, so glad you chose this recipe for your holiday dinner! 🙂
Looks incredibly delicious!
Do you have a video of this on YouTube?
Amazing recipe! Thank you so much. I enjoyed making it and looking forward to the next time. My family loved it.
Jess, I am so happy you've enjoyed this recipe! Thank you for the comment and the 5-stars! 🙂