If you're looking for a recipe for what to serve with your favorite kind of ravioli, you'll love this meatless and refreshing 30-minute Mediterranean-style pasta recipe that features roasted sweet potatoes, sauteed portobello mushrooms, and bell peppers. You can use store-bought ravioli or make your own from scratch.
Ravioli and sweet potatoes - a perfect combo!
This festive pasta dinner is a perfect addition to your recipe repertoire! The store-bought ravioli are mixed with sweet potatoes and other veggies in a skillet to create a delicious and beautiful dinner! Ravioli and sweet potatoes make a delightful combination - especially in the Fall, Winter, and during the holidays (Thanksgiving and Christmas)! The recipe is simple and takes just 30 minutes to make. What you have in the end is a colorful and vibrant Autumn and Winter dinner that you can make year-round. It's meatless and vegetarian. Try this recipe and it might become a new family favorite!
What kind of ravioli to use
- Store-bought mushroom-stuffed ravioli. I used mushroom-stuffed refrigerated ravioli that I bought at my local grocery store. You can use ravioli (refrigerated or frozen) stuffed with anything: cheese-stuffed, veggie-stuffed ravioli, or pretty much any kind of ravioli you see in the store.
- You can make your own ravioli from scratch if you like and dress them up with the roasted sweet potato mixture using this recipe. Here are 2 delicious recipes that provide step-by-step instructions on how to make homemade ravioli from scratch: Spinach Ravioli with Ricotta Cheese Filling, in Tomato Cream Sauce and Goat Cheese Ravioli with Creamy Mushroom Parmesan Sauce.
Why make it
- 30-Minute dinner. Because I used store-bought ravioli, this recipe is done in 30 minutes. Perfect for busy weeknights. It is also very colorful and makes a beautiful presentation - great for entertaining company!
- Super flavorful. This recipe blends sweet and savory flavors in a perfect combination where neither flavor is domineering. The end result is a well-balanced dinner with tons of flavors!
- Holiday recipe. You can serve ravioli with sweet potatoes as a meatless dish for the holidays! It will add color and uniqueness to your holiday table on Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Eve.
Meatless pasta recipe
- Because I used meatless ravioli (I used store-bought mushroom-stuffed ravioli), this recipe is meatless and vegetarian. You can also use cheese-filled ravioli, pesto-stuffed ravioli, or veggie ravioli.
- If you use gluten-free ravioli (plenty of options in the grocery stores!) - then this dinner is gluten-free!
- Pasta. This recipe can also be made with store-bought tortellini or gnocchi. Short-shaped pasta would be delicious, too, such as bow-tie (farfalle), fusilli, or penne.
- Sweet potatoes can be replaced with roasted butternut squash!
- Veggies. Use your favorite veggies! I recommend asparagus, green beans, spinach, and broccoli.
Can you make this ahead?
Yes, this is a meal-prep-friendly recipe! There is no cream and no complicated ingredients. Make the whole recipe in advance, refrigerate it and serve within 5 days. Or freeze it for up to 2 months.
Storage and Reheating Tips
What I really love about this recipe is that ravioli and sweet potatoes store well and reheat well!
- Fridge. Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
- Freezer. You can freeze this in an airtight container for up to 2 months.
- Reheat on the stovetop. Reheat the ravioli with the sweet potato mixture in a large skillet on the stovetop on medium heat for about 10 minutes or until warmed through. Add a little bit of olive oil when reheating.
- Reheat in the microwave oven. You can also microwave the refrigerated leftovers.
What to serve with it
If you are in the mood for a meatless dinner, serve ravioli with sweet potatoes as is with a side of a simple salad. Here are some Autumn salads you might like:
- Roasted Sweet Potato Salad with Spinach, Pecans, Pumpkin Seeds, and Feta
- Arugula Salad with Apples, Cranberries, and Pecans
- Cranberry Spinach Salad with Cashews and Goat Cheese and Lemon-Honey Poppy Seed Dressing
- Butternut Squash and Spinach Salad with Pecans, Cranberries, Pomegranate Seeds, and Poppy Seed Honey-Lime Dressing
Other sweet potato recipes you might like
- Maple Chicken with Sweet Potatoes
- Baked Chicken Thighs and Sweet Potatoes with Spinach in creamy Parmesan Sauce
- Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup with Mushrooms and Sweet Potatoes
- Creamy Sausage Tortellini Soup with Spinach and Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Hash
Other homemade ravioli recipes
If you love the idea of making your own ravioli and experimenting with various fillings and sauces, I've got 4 more recipes for you to explore! You can make ravioli from scratch using these recipes and then dress them up with the sweet potato mixture!
- Butternut Squash Ravioli with Brown Butter Sauce and Pecans
- Spinach Ravioli with Ricotta Cheese Filling, in Tomato Cream Sauce
- Goat Cheese Ravioli with Creamy Mushroom Parmesan Sauce
- Pumpkin Ravioli with Browned Butter Sauce and Pecans
30-Minute Ravioli and Sweet Potato Veggie Skillet
- 2 lb sweet potatoes peeled, and chopped into 1-inch dice (about 2 large sweet potatoes)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 12 oz ravioli (I used store-bought mushroom-stuffed ravioli, cheese-stuffed would be great, too!)
- 8 oz portobello mushrooms 2 large mushrooms chopped into 2-inch dice
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 3 bell peppers medium-size, red, green, and yellow
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 green onions chopped
- fresh thyme optional
Roast sweet potatoes
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Toss diced sweet potatoes with olive oil, salt, and pepper on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Roast for about 15 or 20 minutes, or longer (depending on your oven). Mine were done in 10 or 15 minutes in a convection oven. In the meantime, proceed with the rest of the recipe.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Boil ravioli for 5 minutes (or according to package instructions), drain, and set aside – to be used with the veggie mixture below. At the same time, proceed with the recipe below.
Make sweet potato veggie mixture to go with ravioli
- Heat a large cast iron skillet for 2 minutes over low-medium heat. Add olive oil, diced portobellos, minced garlic, and chopped bell peppers, with salt, smoked paprika, and chili powder. Cook for about 7 or 10 minutes until softened.
- Add roasted sweet potatoes and chopped green onions. Stir to reheat and combine. Top with a small amount of fresh thyme. Season with more salt and pepper, if needed.
- Add cooked ravioli to the same skillet with the meatless sweet potato mixture. Top with fresh thyme.
The nutritional information on this website is only an estimate and is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed. It should not be used as a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.