Queso Baked Chicken - chicken spiced up with Southwestern spices and smothered with chopped tomatoes, green chiles, Queso sauce, topped with Cheddar (or Monterey Jack) cheese on top.
This Queso chicken bake is a great recipe for revamping your love for chicken breasts!
The chicken is covered with a creamy sauce, tomatoes, green chiles and cheese which makes it moist, flavorful and super tasty, not to mention easy to make!
If you enjoy Mexican, Tex-Mex, Southwestern style recipes - you'll love this chicken! I used store bought Chili Con Queso sauce - and it worked great.
Here are a couple of step-by-step photos to demonstrate just how easy it is to make this Queso chicken. First, place the chicken in a deep baking dish, such as this casserole pan:
Top with spices:
Top with half of chopped tomatoes and half of canned mild chiles:
Top with Queso and the remaining tomatoes and canned mild chiles:
Top with cheese:
Bake for 25-30 minutes in the preheated oven at 375 F until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the center. Then, top with more chopped fresh tomatoes and chopped fresh parsley, and serve!
Queso Baked Chicken
- 4 chicken breasts , skinless and boneless
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 roma tomatoes chopped
- 4 oz mild green chiles
- 1 cup Chile Con Queso sauce , medium (I used Desert Pepper brand)
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese , shredded, or, use Monterey Jack cheese, or Cheddar & Monterey Jack mix
- 1 roma tomato , chopped, for garnish
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley , chopped, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Place chicken breasts in a deep baking dish, like a casserole pan.
- Sprinkle chili powder, cumin, and salt over chicken.
- Top chicken breasts with half of chopped tomatoes and half of canned green chiles.
- Spread Queso sauce evenly over each chicken breast.
- Top chicken breasts with the remaining half of chopped tomatoes and canned green chiles.
- Top chicken with shredded cheeses.
- Bake in the preheated oven at 375 F for 25-30 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the center.
- Top with chopped tomato and chopped fresh parsley. Serve.
The nutritional information on this website is only an estimate and is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed. It should not be used as a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Made this last night. Absolutely delicious! And easy! Cant wait to have the leftovers for lunch today
April, I am so happy you gave this recipe a try and enjoyed it! Thanks for sharing such a positive comment! 🙂
Hello, I made your dish today! I just changed two things: I had only half jar of Queso, so I add a little milk. And, I didn’t have the green chills. (Replace with a little bed of Green Avocado sauce, on top)
But it super AMAZING! My husband said, Nancy this is delicious! Mmmm The sauce is to died for!
He is too funny!! This is a keeper!
Nancy, I just love your enthusiastic comment - it made my day so much better!! Love your creativity with changing the ingredients!
I haven’t made this recipe, I’ve never heard of chili con quest sauce. Where would I find it?
I used Chile Con Queso sauce, medium heat (I used Desert Pepper brand). I like this particular brand over the others I have tried. I just bought it at a regular grocery store.
If you like cheese and a little heat you will fall in love with con queso sauce1
Again another most amazing dish we all lover the flavors thanks =)
You are very welcome! Glad you enjoyed it! 🙂