Easy mushroom risotto – mushrooms are sautéed with garlic and onions in olive oil, then combined with rice and cheese. Side dish for all kinds of meat. Gluten free recipe.
How to make mushroom risotto
Making this mushroom risotto involves only 2 basic steps:
- First, chop up the onion, mince the garlic, and slice the mushrooms. Cook them in olive oil until browned and soft.
- Second, add rice and milk to the same skillet, and cook the rice in milk until it’s cooked through and creamy. Because mushrooms, onions, and garlic are also in the same skillet, both the rice and the milk get infused with mushroom flavors!
This is what the dish looks like when you cook rice in milk (along with mushrooms, onion, and garlic) and the milk is not yet all absorbed:
What rice to use for risotto
I suggest using short to medium grain rice, such as Arborio rice. Arborio rice does not need pre-cooking.
I did use brown rice in this recipe once. If you do, make sure to precook brown rice by cooking it in boiling water for 15-20 minutes, before you add it to the skillet with milk.
What mushrooms to use for risotto
- Regular white button mushrooms and cremini mushrooms.
- Portobello mushrooms will add meaty flavor to your risotto.
- Shiitake mushrooms have a rich flavor and are an excellent choice for rice risotto.
Tip: Sprinkle your mushroom risotto with truffle salt to add an amazing aroma to your dish.
Other rice dishes
If you enjoyed this mushroom risotto with creamy texture, you might like these recipes that feature other kinds of flavored rice:
- Parmesan, Sun-Dried Tomato, and Basil Rice – Mediterranean recipe that’s ready in 30 minutes! Light, flavorful and colorful!
- Cilantro Lime Black Bean Rice – in this recipe Jasmine rice is combined with black beans and flavored with freshly squeezed lime juice and chopped fresh cilantro. Very refreshing and light.
Mushrooms are sautéed with garlic and onions in olive oil, then combined with rice and cheese. Side dish for all kinds of meat. This easy mushroom risotto is gluten free!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 white onion , large sweet, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 10 oz mushrooms , sliced
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup rice , uncooked (Arborio rice is a good choice)
- 2 cups whole milk
- water as needed
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese , shredded
- salt and pepper
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Saute chopped onion and garlic in the olive oil until onion is tender. Add sliced mushrooms, sprinkle with a little bit of salt, and continue cooking on medium heat, constantly stirring until mushrooms are soft and lightly browned - no more than 5 minutes.
Add 1 cup of uncooked rice and 2 cups of milk to the skillet, bring it to boil, then immediately reduce to simmer. Add Italian seasoning and mix well. Cover the skillet with the lid.
Let the mushrooms, rice and milk simmer until liquid is absorbed. Add water if more liquid is necessary for the rice. Simmer the rice mixture (and add more water if necessary) until rice acquires the desired consistency.
When rice is done, stir in shredded Parmesan cheese and remove from heat. Season with more salt and pepper. I like my mushroom risotto on the salty side - but it's up to you!