Easy Chickpea and Vegetable Curry with Quinoa - made with coconut milk, spinach, basil, and mushrooms. The delicious curry is made with coconut milk, red curry paste, tomato paste, brown sugar, freshly squeezed lemon juice, and chili powder. Meatless, vegetarian, gluten free recipe.
I've been craving for a simple vegetarian dinner that I could just whip up in the matter of 30 minutes, and so this very simple chickpea vegetable curry recipe with quinoa was born. Let not the simplicity of this dish fool you, though: it is still a very filling veggie dish, and it rightfully deserves to be called a main course. You won't go hungry after enjoying curry flavors, chickpeas, mushrooms, and spinach in a creamy coconut broth, on top of protein-rich quinoa.
By the way, my other meatless coconut curry favorites are these two: pumpkin, coconut and peanut butter curry and vegetarian pumpkin curry with chickpeas. They are as delicious as this chickpea and vegetable curry with spinach and mushrooms:
How to make chickpea and vegetable curry
- First, add coconut milk to a large skillet and bring to boil. Add the following ingredients: chickpeas, red curry paste, tomato paste, brown sugar, lemon juice, chili powder, basil. Stir until smooth.
- Next, add spinach, chopped green onions and sliced mushrooms to the skillet with the coconut milk mixture, bring to boil, reduce to simmer. Simmer for about 15-20 minutes, until mushrooms are cooked.
How to cook quinoa
- For each 1 cup of uncooked quinoa, use 2 cups of water and ¼ teaspoon of salt.
- Add uncooked quinoa, salt and water to a large sauce pan.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat to simmer and cook until all liquid is absorbed and quinoa is cooked and fluffy, about 15-20 minutes.
- If you like your coconut curry a bit runny, add a little bit of water in the end to reach the desired consistency.
- If reheating the next day, you will likely have to add a touch of water to the coconut curry as it will thicken overnight in the refrigerator.
- To serve, place a scoop of quinoa into the middle of each plate. Top with chickpea and vegetable curry.
Easy chickpea and vegetable curry with quinoa
Chickpea Vegetable Curry
- 13.5 oz coconut milk from the can (400 mL)
- 15 oz chick peas , from the can
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1 teaspoon red curry paste
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ¼ lemon , squeezed
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 6 oz spinach , cleaned
- 4 green onions , chopped
- 2 cups mushrooms , sliced
- salt to taste
- 1 cup quinoa , uncooked
- 2 cups water
How to make chickpea vegetable coconut curry
- Heat coconut milk in a large pan until it boils and reduce heat to simmer. Add next 7 ingredients to the coconut milk: chickpeas, red curry paste, tomato paste, brown sugar, lemon juice, chili powder, basil. Mix everything together until even consistency.
- Add spinach, chopped green onions and sliced mushrooms to the coconut milk mixture, bring to boil, reduce to simmer. Simmer for about 15-20 minutes, until mushrooms are cooked, stirring occasionally. Add salt and pepper to taste.
How to cook quinoa
- In a separate pan, combine 2 cups of water and 1 cup of quinoa. Bring to boil, reduce heat to simmer and cook until all liquid is absorbed and quinoa is cooked and fluffy.
- To serve, place a scoop of quinoa into the middle of each plate. Top with chickpea curry.
The nutritional information on this website is only an estimate and is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed. It should not be used as a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.