Chicken and Wild Rice in a creamy Parmesan sauce – easy and delicious! I love chicken and wild rice casserole, and this recipe is just like a casserole but everything is cooked on a stove top!
This Chicken and Wild Rice skillet is pure comfort food. And, so easy to make. The only time consuming part of this recipe is that you have to precook wild rice. As you know, wild rice cooks a long time, about 45 minutes, so plan accordingly. After the wild rice is cooked, the recipe is done very quickly.
The creaminess here comes from adding half and half and shredded Parmesan cheese, which makes this recipe gluten free (no flour added to thicken the sauce!)
Chicken and Wild Rice in a creamy Parmesan sauce - easy and delicious! I love chicken and wild rice casserole, and this recipe is just like a casserole but everything is cooked in a skillet.
- 1 1/2 cups wild rice , uncooked
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion , small, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 pound chicken thighs , skinless and boneless, chopped into smaller slices
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley
- 2/3 cup half and half
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese shredded
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley , chopped
- Cook wild rice + 1/4 teaspoon and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a large pot of boiling water according to the cooking instructions on the package (usually, wild rice cooks about 45 minutes, so plan accordingly).
- When wild rice is almost cooked, heat olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Add chopped onion and minced garlic, and cook on medium heat, stirring, until onion is translucent, about 1 minute.
- Add chopped chicken, sprinkle generously with salt, oregano, thyme, parsley, and cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through.
- When the wild rice is done, add cooked wild rice to the skillet with chicken and mix everything.
- Add 2/3 cup half and half, 1/3 cup chicken broth to the skillet with chicken and rice and bring to boil. Add shredded 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese. Stir, until the cheese has melted, on medium-low heat. Taste and add more salt if needed, about 1/8 teaspoon or 1/4 teaspoon more.
- Remove from heat, stir in 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley.
What is HALF & HALF? To make 1 cup of half and half, combine 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 cup regular cream (heavy, or whipping cream).