Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Cinnamon Butternut Squash, Pecans, and Cranberries

Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Cinnamon Butternut Squash, Pecans, and Cranberries – this easy Thanksgiving side dish is not only delicious and bursting with Fall and Holiday flavors (cinnamon, maple syrup), it’s also healthy, gluten free, vegetarian, and packed with fiber!

Holiday side dish, best holiday side dish recipes, best Christmas side, Fall side dish recipes, vegetarian Thanksgiving recipes, gluten free Thanksgiving recipes

I love the combination of ingredients here!  Even if you don’t like Brussels sprouts, you’ll love them here. Roasted Brussels sprouts taste great when combined with all classic Fall flavors. This recipe makes a beautiful presentation, too – it’s a perfect Holiday side dish that will make a great addition to both Thanksgiving and Christmas menus.

holiday side dish recipes, gluten free holiday side dish, vegetables, gluten free salad, best holiday recipes

Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Cinnamon Butternut Squash, Pecans, and Cranberries

Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Cinnamon Butternut Squash, Pecans, and Cranberries

• Follow Julia on Pinterest and Facebook to get more recipes and dinner ideas for your weekly meal planning!

• Roasted Brussels Sprouts:
  • 3 cups Brussels sprouts, ends trimmed, yellow leaves removed
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • Salt, to taste
  • Roasted Butternut Squash:
  • 1 and ½ pound butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cubed into 1-inch cubes (Yields about 4 cups of uncooked cubed butternut squash)
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 3 tablespoons maple syrup
  • ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • Other Ingredients:
  • 2 cups pecan halves
  • 1 cup dried cranberries
  • 2-4 tablespoons maple syrup (optional)

Roasted Brussels sprouts:
  1. Preheat oven to 400 F. Lightly grease the foil-lined baking sheet with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
  2. Make sure Brussels sprouts have trimmed ends and yellow leaves are removed. Then, slice all Brussels sprouts in half. In a medium bowl, combine halved Brussels sprouts, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, salt (to taste), and toss to combine. Place onto a foil-lined baking sheet, cut side down, and roast in the oven at 400 F for about 20-25 minutes. During the last 5-10 minutes of roasting, turn them over for even browning, the cut sides should be nicely and partially charred but not blackened (see my photos).
  3. Roasted butternut squash:
  4. Preheat oven to 400 F. Lightly grease the foil-lined baking sheet with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
  5. In a medium bowl, combine cubed butternut squash (peeled and seeded),1 tablespoon of olive oil, maple syrup, and cinnamon, and toss to mix.
  6. Place butternut squash in a single layer on the baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes, turning once half-way through baking, until softened.
  7. _Note:_You can roast both Brussels sprouts and butternut squash on 2 separate baking sheets at the same time, on the same rack in the oven – that’s what I did.
  8. Assembly:
  9. In a large bowl, combine roasted Brussels sprouts, roasted butternut squash, pecans, and cranberries, and mix to combine. (OPTIONAL): For more sweetness, add 2 or 4 tablespoons of maple syrup, if desired – do not add all maple syrup at once, start with 2 tablespoons, then add more, if desired, and toss with the salad ingredients to combine.

PINTEREST | FACEBOOK | GOOGLE+ | TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | BLOGLOVIN’

• annie October 22, 2015, 3:12 pm

All those textures and flavors! Wow. I am a huge Brussels sprout person, but I rarely make them sweet. Now I gotta try them with your maple coating.

• Stacie November 8, 2015, 3:39 pm

Hi! This recipe sounds delicious and I am planning to make it for a dinner we are going to tomorrow. I was wondering if you serve this while it is still hot/warm or if you serve it room temp? I can’t wait to try it. Thanks!

• kris November 9, 2015, 3:39 pm

I’d like to know how the dish turned out for you? Could the veggies be roasted ahead of time? Does it need to be served fresh from the oven or could it be reheated?

• epuzzled November 18, 2015, 2:01 pm

I was wondering the same thing -if this is a warm or cold/room temp dish

• Amy S November 19, 2015, 4:24 pm

I am also wondering if this should be served hot, room temperature, or cold like a salad.

• Melissa November 21, 2015, 8:13 am

Hey, did you end up serving this warm? Or room temp? How was it?

• Kaytlyn November 22, 2015, 10:20 pm

I’m wondering the same thing! I want to prep it the day before, I’m thinking ill keep them all separate and reheat the squash and brussel sprouts before serving and then mix them! I would love to hear the authors suggestions!

• LORI November 25, 2015, 11:40 am

What do you think about the day ahead prep?

• Julia November 25, 2015, 7:23 pm

It can be served either hot or room-temperature. When I originally made this, I served it warm, as a side dish to roasted duck. Then, the next day I ate it as a side dish right out of the fridge, without reheating, because I was in a hurry – it was good cold too! If you want to premake this dish, I think you can mix everything together, except pecans. Add the pecans right before serving, to keep them from getting soggy. You can toast the pecans, or just add them un-toasted, I frankly don’t think they even need toasting.

• Barbara Lubell November 26, 2015, 2:28 am

I just made a variation on this recipe; over baked the squash, had less Sprouts, used fresh cranberries that I put in the oven, with maple syrup & honey. I added a big parsnip. Toasted the pecans. It sure did not take 40 minutes – more like 3 hrs, but maybe I’m slow. THANK YOU for this recipe; I never made anything so good! And yeah, I think room temp would be great.
          Stopping myself from eating it because it’s for T-day!

• Adrienne November 24, 2016, 12:12 pm

I made this dish for Thanksgiving and it is so delicious. I would like to make it for work but my coworker is allergic to pecans. What other nut could I use to get the same type of flavor? Thank you!

• Teresa November 25, 2015, 2:30 pm

Prepping Tips: If you are prepping ahead for Thanksgiving or bringing this to a friend or family members’ house, you can roast the vegetables ahead of time (you can blast them in a 350 degree Fahreneheit oven for 10-15 minutes just before serving) and wait to dress them until just before serving.

• Vida November 16, 2015, 10:02 am

Made this for a fall baby shower — everyone loved it! Very seasonal and easy to prep in advance. Going to make it for the holidays this year. I roasted the veggies in the morning, and served this side at room temperature later the same day.

• Deborah November 16, 2015, 6:42 pm

Approximately how many will this serve?

• Charleen November 17, 2015, 8:26 pm

Can this be made several days in advance, or is it best eaten fresh?

• Lisa November 18, 2015, 7:15 am

Hi! This looks great! Is this recipe ok to make ahead of time and bring and serve at room temp? Or should it be served right away while warm??
    Thanks!

• Mary Mixdorf November 18, 2015, 12:26 pm

I would also like to know the temperature this is served.
    Does this reheat easily?

• Donna Miracle November 19, 2015, 7:33 pm

Do I serve this recipe hot or cold?

• Debbie November 20, 2015, 10:49 am

Is it OK to bake the brussel sprouts and squash together in the same pan since the bake times and temps are the same?

• Julia November 25, 2015, 7:26 pm

I baked them in 2 separate pans but at the same time. You can definitely bake them in the same pan (if it is big enough).

• Jackie November 20, 2015, 2:13 pm

I was also wondering if this is best served room temperature or warm?

• Julia November 25, 2015, 7:27 pm

• Mary November 22, 2015, 10:09 pm

This is a really nice combination. We’ve had it a couple of times in the last month. Thanks for the post.

• Jennifer B November 23, 2015, 3:27 pm

This looks delicious. Best served hot or cold?

• Tammie November 23, 2015, 5:30 pm

I too am wondering the same thing. And can we make ahead and reheat before dinner? There will be no room in my oven till the turkey comes out. Thanks

• Mercedes November 25, 2015, 12:39 pm

I plan to roast my veggies the night before, and warm them when my turkey is resting. Will then mix in the remaining ingredients(nuts and cranberries).setving warm, but I think room temp or cold would also be fine.

• Deanna Christensen November 24, 2015, 5:26 am

Can you make the Brussels sprouts/butternut squash dish ahead?

• Maria November 24, 2015, 3:20 pm

Im about to make this for our Thanksgiving dinner this year..it looks so good.. i love butternut squash and love brussel sprout imagine combine, this should be really good…

• Michelle November 24, 2015, 8:13 pm

I have a bunch of fresh cranberries to use up. Anyone tried with fresh??

• Katie November 24, 2015, 10:40 pm

Serve warm or cold?

Thanks

• Julia November 25, 2015, 7:27 pm

• Sam November 25, 2015, 11:49 am

Am wondering the same thing as several other folks – can this be made ahead? Looks amazing, thanks!

• Tami November 25, 2015, 12:46 pm

Warm or cold Brussels Sprouts recipe?

• Teresa November 25, 2015, 2:32 pm

Prepping Tips: If you are prepping ahead for Thanksgiving or bringing this to a friend or family members’ house, you can roast the vegetables ahead of time (you can blast them in a 350 degree Fahrenheit oven for 10-15 minutes just before serving) and wait to dress them until just before serving.

• LS November 25, 2015, 8:07 pm

I just made this tonight before Thanksgiving. It’s delicious! Thank you for sharing. I think it should be called Thanksgiving Trail Mix! 😉

• Terrie November 26, 2015, 6:45 am

I just made this for thanksgiving dinner. I had to taste it… AMAZING!

• Janis November 26, 2015, 10:01 pm

I made this today as a side for our Thanksgiving dinner and it was a hit. It may be even better as a leftover! The butternut squash were delicious with the cinnamon and maple syrup and paired well with the Brussels sprouts and pecans. I used Craisins and loved the “kick” they added to this dish. It is a new staple on our menu. Thanks for sharing.

• Jessie Mae November 27, 2015, 11:49 am

I made this for Thanksgiving and it was a HIT~! My family is allergic to nuts so I substituted raw pumpkin seeds for the pecans. I toasted the raw seeds in a mixture of maybe 1/2 to 1 tsp turbinado coconut sugar, about 1 TBLS agave nectar, about 1/4 to 1/2 tsp cinnamon, and a touch of nutmeg. I just went by feel and added the ingredients in, no measuring. I baked the seeds for 20 minutes, maybe 25, at 350. I turned them halfway through. They were sooo good! EnJoy!

• Catie November 30, 2015, 7:26 pm

First, I NEVER leave comments on recipes I find. Usually it has already been said or covered. However this time I just have to leave a comment.

I made this yesterday for Thanksgiving at my Mom’s house. I opted to not dress the vegetables with more maple syrup after mixing (family with diet restrictions). I warmed them up just before serving as someone suggested. I had a decent helping at dinner and liked the dish but was not “blown away” by any means.

However, today the leftovers…oh the yummy, nummy wonderful world of leftovers. The flavors have really melded together so much better and the squash is just fabulous. I decided to make this my dinner tonight. I cooked some quinoa, put 3/4c in a bowl and topped with the brussel sprout mix. OH MY GOODNESS……it is absolutely heavenly! 🙂 Letting it sit overnight did wonders for the flavors and with the quinoa I almost feel like I am eating a bowl of veggie oatmeal, which sounds weird but I can honestly say is truly delicious.

For anyone who is curious about prepping the day before. I think you will be just fine. I reheated my veggies tonight in the microwave and they taste just fine.

• Ashley December 25, 2015, 9:48 pm

Personally was unimpressed with this dish. And I LOVE all of these ingredients typically. For some reason the brussels didn’t go well with all the “sweet” flavors going on. And the pecans seemed too bland for the mix. I would have rather done this with almonds instead of pecans. And honestly, I wish it didn’t have brussels either. I was so excited about this dish and it really wasn’t that good. And it needs to be prepared and then eaten immediately after.. I made it 3 hours early and it was a mushy mess by the time I served it. Plus I had to re-heat it in the microwave before I served it.

• Bonnie Johnstone November 9, 2016, 5:13 pm

Me too! I’m considering mixing this into some savory stuffing like cornbread for more flavor. It really needs more savory to support the Brussels sprouts!

• Kevin November 25, 2016, 9:31 am

ya I kinda found this to be the same … I was really excited to make it and it sounded delicious but overall something seemed to be lacking in that it really didn’t make a splash with the tastebuds … I’m not giving up and will try it again as I too love all the ingredients … I made it and then took it to friends for Thanksgiving and we re-heated it and I don’t think that helped out it was about an hour and a half between finished and serving I think right out of the oven would be a far better option

• Taylor December 27, 2015, 10:16 am

I made these for my Christmas dinner and they were such a hit! I did change the recipe a little by using string beans instead of Brussels sprouts since they’re not liked to much at my house. Still was delicious with the switch and I’ll be making thins again!

• Nicole December 28, 2015, 12:59 pm

I found this on a weight watcher post, without me going and buying the ingredients, would you be able to tell me the points plus points

• Susan December 28, 2015, 4:45 pm

Thank you so much this recipe.
    And I apologize on behalf of manning for the people who can’t read your answers to their questions and keep asking the same thing !

• Melanie January 3, 2016, 11:41 pm

I made this and its so good. I used a bit less maple syrup but I did have a question. It says serves 6, do you know how many calories it is per serving? It being New Years and all, I am tracking my intake and out put

Thanks

• Ariel November 3, 2016, 1:50 pm

470 calories and 35g fat per serving. I would definitely cut back on the amount of pecans, dried cranberries and maple syrup in this recipe.

• Ole Possum April 9, 2016, 4:06 pm

How is it with little or no maple syrup for diabetics? I would think it would be plenty sweet just with the cranberries?

• Minor November 19, 2016, 3:19 pm

I added a little basalmic vinegar to the brussel sprouts and took away a little bit of maple syrup… perfect

• Kate Connolly August 3, 2016, 2:10 pm
  • Stefanie August 10, 2016, 5:21 pm

Sorry if this is a silly question but could I use frozen veggies instead of fresh? Thanks!

• Amanda August 27, 2016, 11:46 am

Looks delicious. A bit annoying that your advertisers information shows up in the list of ingredients but a simple copy to Word fixed that.

• Lenea fleming September 17, 2016, 1:02 am

Loved it!!! My husband and I loved this recipe, and as we are big fans of left overs, I was pleasantly surprised to see how well it reheated.
    So I cooked the cranberries and pecans in with the the squash in a deeper pan with a cover and the flavor mixture was great! I didn’t like the big pecan halves though. Next time I will use chopped pecans. I also sprinkled a tiny bit of basil onto the sprouts and it added a slight herby flavor that was a nice balance with sweet.

• Heather September 17, 2016, 11:45 am

Can you use sweet potatoes instead of the squash?

• Veronica Buna September 23, 2016, 1:09 pm

I made this last night and served it cold today as part of a work potluck. It got rave reviews. I may have also over roasted my brussel sprouts a little so I think cold worked in my favour!
    Excited to make this dish again!

• bonnie October 3, 2016, 5:25 pm

Can u use roast Broccoli instead of Brussel sprouts

• Betty Lea October 11, 2016, 8:11 pm

Can frozen brussel sprouts as fresh aren’t around Thanksgiving?

• Jeannie October 22, 2016, 10:47 pm

I do not eat refined sugar and cannot find dried cranberries without sugar where I am. I do have fresh cranberries. Can this dish be made with fresh cranberries with a little additional work?

• Martha Grace November 24, 2016, 11:27 am

We are wondering the same thing! All we have is fresh – any ideas on how to add?

• Kerry Wilson October 31, 2016, 2:33 pm

DELICIOUS! I made this today for our office Fall luncheon and it was a HUGE HIT!
    (Because) I had sweet potatoes on hand, I replaced the butternut squash with sweet potatoes. Other than that, I followed the ingredients listed above.
    I roasted both the brussels sprouts and the sweet potatoes in a large roasting pan for a total of about 25 mins (pulling out and stirring about halfway through). They were perfect, although the brussels sprouts didn’t brown as well as I’d like them to. Next time, just for that reason, I may roast separately. Otherwise, there is absolutely no need to.
    I (did) roast my pecans too (just plain) because I agree, they just are that much better tasting, roasted!
    I also (did) add more than the extra 2-4 T. of maple syrup, as well as added more cinnamon. I started off with 2 T. of the maple syrup and then just taste-tested them until they were perfect. (same with the cinnamon .. I just kept adding a few sprinkles until I thought they were perfect.
    I roasted the veggies the night before and then had them in a crockpot (the larger oval crockpot. This recipe filled it up about half-way) on low and warm for the morning (which turned out to be about 3 hours).
    It was warm and yummy and got sooooooooooo many compliments AND requests for the recipe.
    And this was SUCH a nice addition for the non-meat-eaters (and otherwise healthy eaters) who will be dining with you. When all of your other familiar recipes are taken for thanksgiving or Fall luncheon (potatoes; stuffing; casserole-type stuff), this is an excellent alternative!!
    A sure-to-be huge hit for you too!!

THANK YOU for this KEEPER of a recipe!!! Yum Yum!!!

• Cristi November 6, 2016, 1:03 pm

I was at a wine pairing party where this dish was served. It was fabulous! Beautiful to the eye and scrumptious on the taste buds. I will be making this for our family Thanksgiving feast.

• Kristin November 7, 2016, 6:13 pm

I wasn’t thrilled with this recipe. Everything tastes good by themselves, but the brussel sprouts didn’t quite mix with the sweetness of the squash and maple syrup to me. Everyone’s taste is different, though. Next time I will just leave the brussels out 🙂

• Alicia November 8, 2016, 4:06 pm

I made this for a work pot luck. It was a huge hit! Multiple people asked for the recipe. The only thing I did different was use pecan pieces instead of halves. I did roast the veggies the night before and I served it warm. Thank you! This one is a keeper:)

• Carol November 9, 2016, 2:14 pm

Can anyone tell me what the approximate number of servings is??? I wish this was included with all recipes.

• Mimi {Creative on the Side} November 13, 2016, 10:34 am

This looks so delicious!! We love everything in it and drizzle maple on butternut squash all time. Such a yummy combo! We’re planning on trying this for Thanksgiving. Can’t wait!!!

• Angela November 13, 2016, 9:54 pm

Thought I would try this out. However I did add some diced apple crumble bacon. I tend to make my brussel sprouts with white wine, butter, bacon and cranberries. So adding it was second nature…..And delicious!!

• Clarissa November 15, 2016, 4:49 pm

Can this be made with frozen Brussel sprouts?

• Jane November 16, 2016, 7:23 am

Does it really need the maple syrup? The potatoes and cranberries should be enough, right? Concerned for Diabetic family member. THX!!

• Sarah November 18, 2016, 2:11 pm

Hi! This looks amazing but I’m not a huge Brussel sprouts fan, is there a substitute you could recommend in its place? Thanks!

• Wendy November 20, 2016, 11:49 am

I sprinkled with Gorgonzola cheese, too. I made it for Grandma’s birthday party and got requests for the recipe. Now it’s going to Thanksgiving dinner.

• Sharon Wegner November 20, 2016, 2:59 pm

Recipe looks great, BUT, all of the ads and pop ups are seriously annoying.

• Judy Stinson November 20, 2016, 8:25 pm

I made this today for my husband’s family’s early thanksgiving! It is now my new favorite. It was a big hit too! Thank you!

• kate November 22, 2016, 6:14 pm

Is this supposed to be served hot, cold, room temp?

• Jodi November 23, 2016, 7:26 am

I always make one new recipe to add to our Turkey Day menu…this year it is this one!!! I’ve never made butternut squash before, I’m so excited!! Will let you know how it turns out!!

• Stephanie November 23, 2016, 2:03 pm

I feel like this needs a hit of savory and am considering adding some chopped/cooked bacon.
    Anybody ever add bacon to this? I’m a fan of savory & sweet together ….

• Dolores November 23, 2016, 7:47 pm

Mine is looking a bit soggy… suggestions?

• Karen November 24, 2016, 12:57 pm

This is my first time making this and I am in love with it.

• Rosanna November 24, 2016, 8:44 pm

Made this today for our Thanksgiving feast at work. It was a huge hit and I’ve passed on your website and recipe. Thank you very much.

• Elizabeth November 25, 2016, 8:08 am

Each year I try one new dish at Thanksgiving dinner. This year it was your recipe. Thank you so much for sharing this. I posted a photo on my Facebook page of the dish I prepared and received many requests. I posted the link for your page and shared your recipe. Thank you again. It was just delicious! And so easy and quick to make. It has earned a place on our table for future Thanksgivings (and other meals through the year as well!)

• Adrienne Cashdollar November 29, 2016, 3:56 pm

Trying this tonight…using walnuts instead of pecans…