Breakfast Egg Muffins with Mushrooms and Spinach

breakfast ideas with eggs, healthy breakfast ideas, breakfast quiche

Breakfast Egg Muffins with Mushrooms and Spinach – these crustless mini quiches are perfect for breakfast, brunch, or potluck! Packed with protein, fiber, and veggies. Vegetarian, gluten free recipe.

easy breakfast ideas, breakfast food ideas, breakfast menu ideas, gluten free breakfast muffins

These little muffins are so easy to make, and it’s one of those fast (and nice-looking) breakfast recipes that you can whip up in the matter of minutes if you have to prepare breakfast for a lot of people. I am not a morning person, and the last thing I want to do is to be slaving at the kitchen in the morning, cooking.  Instead, make these – the recipe makes a lot – perfect for a company!  Minimum amount of effort – resulting in 12 delicious servings!  These can also be made a day in advance (and they keep well in the refrigerator for a week).

vegetarian breakfast recipes, breakfast potluck ideas, low calorie breakfast ideas

So easy: just combine cooked mushrooms, cooked spinach with eggs, cheese. If your mixture is a little watery from cooked spinach or mushrooms – that’s totally fine:

Mixing eggs, mushrooms, and spinach

Then, fill the slightly greased muffin pan with the egg and vegetables mixture – fill each muffin 3/4 full:

birthday breakfast ideas, gluten free breakfast recipe

Bake at 350 F for about 25 minutes – and they’re done!

breakfast quiche recipe, breakfast quiche muffins, crustless breakfast quiche

These keep well in the refrigerator for a week! It’s a great way to make ahead breakfast and pack it for work, school, or a picnic!

breakfast recipe, savory breakfast recipe ideas

Breakfast Egg Muffins with Mushrooms and Spinach

Yield: 12 muffins

Breakfast Egg Muffins with Mushrooms and Spinach

• 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • salt
  • 6 oz mushrooms, thinly sliced
  • 6 eggs
  • ¼ cup milk
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
  • 3/4 cup spinach, cooked and drained (about 8 oz fresh spinach)

1. In a large skillet, heat olive oil on medium-high heat, and add thinly sliced mushrooms, sprinkle with salt, and cook for about 10 minutes until mushrooms soften and release juices.
  2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Use a regular 12-cup muffin pan. Spray the muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray.
  3. In a large bowl, beat eggs until smooth. Add milk, salt, Cheddar cheese and mix. Stir spinach, cooked mushrooms into the egg mixture. Ladle the egg mixture into greased muffin cups ¾ full.
  4. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven, let the muffins cool for 30 minutes before removing them from the pan.

PINTEREST | FACEBOOK | GOOGLE+ | TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | BLOGLOVIN\’

• Chris @ The Café Sucré Farine March 22, 2015, 4:07 pm

Love that you can add anything to these cute little breakfast muffins, that they’re super healthy and that you can make them and store in the fridge. They sound like winners all the way around!

• sarah k @ the pajama chef March 23, 2015, 2:49 pm

mmm, i love egg muffins like this! these sound great.

• [email protected] March 24, 2015, 7:51 am

I hate cooking in the morning so I always appreciate make ahead breakfasts! These egg muffins look incredible. Love the mushrooms!

• [email protected] Riffs March 25, 2015, 12:11 pm

I love the combo of mushrooms and spinach! Often use them in a salad, but never in an egg muffin like this. Although I have used them in scrambled eggs, but these muffins are so much more fun and attractive! Good post — thanks.

• Peggy May 25, 2015, 2:27 pm

how long do you microwave them for heating up.

• Peggy May 25, 2015, 2:32 pm

how long do you microwave them to heat up.

• Mj June 28, 2015, 7:58 pm

What is the serving size for the 130 calories

• Donna September 16, 2015, 9:50 am

These look delicious! Can they be frozen? and how would I reheat them/ Also, what is the calorie count please? Thank you!

• Christy September 26, 2015, 8:59 am

Can you break down nutritional info on these including serving size and calorie content

• Ondrea October 25, 2015, 1:55 pm

I love these breakfast egg muffins their easy to make and easily able to tweak to your taste buds and liking. I made them the way the recipe called for the first, the second time I made a more garlicky version and the third time I made them with more spices like saffron, ginger and cumin and took them to work. My co-workers loved them!!!

• Judy November 1, 2015, 5:04 pm

Can they be frozen?

• JerryAnn Brown November 18, 2016, 1:18 pm

I love those egg muffins…I made them sprayed the heck out of pan and couldn’t get mine out What did you use, yes it was Teflon??

• Julia December 20, 2016, 4:58 pm

No, I used a very old regular muffin pan. You know, sometimes if your oven is not hot enough, there is a higher chance that things will stick. Did you preheat the oven before adding the muffins? Also, let the muffins cool completely before trying to release them out of the pan. If you’re still having a hard time, just turn the muffin pan upside down, let it sit like that for a while, and let the gravity do all the work. 🙂 The egg muffins should come out eventually. 🙂

• Vermontmomoftwo January 8, 2017, 8:43 pm

What is the easiest way to cook the spinach before adding it to the recipe?

• Julia January 31, 2017, 1:14 pm

Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil on medium heat in a large skillet. Add fresh spinach, cover the skillet with the lid, and let the spinach cook like this for about 30 seconds, covered, on medium heat. Remove the lid, stir the spinach, cover again, reduce heat to low, and cook for another 60 seconds, covered. The spinach should be wilted by then, if not, remove from heat and keep the skillet covered for a couple of minutes until the spinach wilts.

• Pritz April 25, 2017, 5:48 am

Hi

Have you tried reducing the quantity of the eggs? This recipe looks superb and I want to try it this evening. You think it would be fine if I use only 2 eggs?

• Jennifer May 8, 2017, 12:11 am

I’ve been making these for the past few weeks and they are great. I don’t bother cooking the veggies, I just finely chop them. (I do red onion, red pepper, mushroom, green onion and spinach.) I also add chorizo or regular sausage (well cooked.) Some paprika, thyme, oregano, parsley, chili powder, and black pepper season it nicely. I double the recipe to make 24 muffins. They last hubby and I through the week. Only takes about 45 seconds in the microwave for two or three cups. Good with salsa or just plain. I use the little silicon muffin cups. No sticking. Love these so so much. Great for low carb diets.sm

• Kate July 6, 2017, 9:17 am

Hi – could you make these without cheese? Or with a non-dairy alternative? Coconut milk? Many thanks.

• Boyan Minchev September 5, 2017, 8:29 am

I have to say that I was looking for something to surprise my girlfriend this weekend like breakfast in the bed 🙂 and this Egg Muffin recipe is what I was looking for. Thank you for sharing this amazing breakfast with us.