Quinoa Salad with Bacon and Roasted Butternut Squash
Follow Julia on Pinterest and Facebook to get more recipes and dinner ideas for your weekly meal planning!
Healthy Quinoa Salad with Bacon, Roasted Butternut Squash, Caramelized Onions and Feta cheese, with French Vinaigrette salad dressing (I used Brianna’s French Vinaigrette salad dressing). You can also top the salad with pine nuts (optional but delicious!) This salad is so healthy and it’s gluten free!
For this salad, you will need to roast peeled and cubed squash in the oven until soft. You will also need to make caramelized onions, cook bacon, and cook some quinoa. After that, you just assemble the salad, add the dressing – and it’s ready! It makes a perfect lunch!
Enjoy this salad packed with anti-oxidants (squash) and protein (quinoa)!
Quinoa Salad with Bacon & Roasted Butternut Squash
- 1 and 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 large onion, sliced
- half of butternut squash, medium size
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 strips of bacon, cooked and chopped
- French Vinaigrette salad dressing (add generous amounts of dressing to individual portions)
- 1/4 cup Feta cheese
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted (OPTIONAL)
Roasted butternut squash:
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Line the baking sheet with aluminum foil and grease with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Peel the squash and slice it into 3/4 inch cubes. You will only need 1/2 of the medium size squash. Toss the squash cubes in a large bowl with 2 tablespoons olive oil and generously sprinkle with salt.
- Put butternut squash on the greased baking sheet and roast for about 30 minutes, until soft. Flip the squash cubes over midway through baking. Let it cool slightly before adding to the salad.
- Caramelize sliced onion as described in this post
Assembling the salad:
- In a large bowl, combine cooked quinoa, roasted butternut squash, caramelized onions, chopped and cooked bacon, and mix with the dressing. Add the dressing only before the serving, and add as much as you want to individual portions, as both quinoa and butternut squash tend to be on a dry side, and this dressing (when generously applied) fixes this beautifully!
- Top each individual serving with Feta cheese and toasted pine nuts (OPTIONAL).
- Note: This salad keeps very well refrigerated for up to a week, but only without dressing. Add the dressing only before serving.
- Quinoa with Roasted Butternut Squash, Pine Nuts, Feta
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Cinnamon Butternut Squash, Pecans, and Cranberries
- Maple Butternut Squash, Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Pumpkin Seeds, and Cranberries
- Butternut Squash & Spinach Salad with Pecans, Cranberries, Pomegranate
CONNECT WITH ME ON MY SOCIAL MEDIA:
PINTEREST | FACEBOOK | GOOGLE+ | TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | BLOGLOVIN’
To search my site for other recipes, type your search text below and hit enter: