Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole

Disclaimer: I received compensation from BHG (Better Homes and Gardens) to make this recipe and promote it.  All opinions are my own.

I am very excited to be guest posting today for the first time at Better Homes and Gardens. BHG is such a great source of recipe ideas, gardening tips, and all things home! They are holding a gluten free week this week, and I selected one of the recipes on their website and made it gluten free. You can see the original BHG recipe, and my gluten-free substitutions can be found in my post here.

The original recipe calls for a can of cream of chicken or a can of condensed chicken soup, both of which usually have gluten. To make this recipe gluten free, I instead combined chicken broth with gluten free flour, then added the sour cream which provided just the right amount of creaminess! This combination is a perfect substitution for those canned soups. What I really love about recipes like this one is that it will appeal not only to gluten-free people but to everybody who loves comfort food made with real, whole ingredients – you know exactly what goes into your meal!

I liked this dish so much, I actually made it twice! Second time, I doubled the recipe and used a 3-quart (2.8 liter) baking dish. The original BHG recipe makes 4 servings, so if you want any leftovers, make sure to double the recipe and double my gluten-free substitutions too.

To see the recipe with my gluten free substitutions click here!
Disclaimer: I received compensation from BHG (Better Homes and Gardens) to create this recipe. All opinions are my own.

PINTEREST | FACEBOOK | GOOGLE+ | TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | BLOGLOVIN’

• Valya @ Valya's Taste of Home January 30, 2015, 2:50 am

This casserole looks delicious. I never tried wild rice. I have to give this recipe a try. Pinned.

• Julia January 30, 2015, 2:55 pm

You should definitely try wild rice – it’s so good, such a rich flavor!

• Denise Browning@From Brazil To You January 30, 2015, 8:55 am

Hi, Julia!
    I love how you sub a combination of broth, GF flour, and sour cream for the chicken condensed soup in order to have a GF casserole dish. It looks so goooooood!

• Julia January 30, 2015, 2:56 pm

Thanks, Denise, it’s very good – I am about to have the leftovers of this dish for lunch. 🙂

• Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen January 30, 2015, 9:33 am

Fabulous gluten-free recipe revamp with BHG’s classic recipe and gorgeous photography, Julia! Also, congratulations my sweet friend on guest posting for BHG’s Delish Dish. I’m so happy for and proud of you! xoxo

• Julia January 30, 2015, 2:57 pm

Stacy, thank you so much! If anybody is going to appreciate my gluten free cooking it’s you! 🙂

• Angie@Angie's Recipes January 30, 2015, 10:56 am

My casserole has never come out so gorgeous! I love the idea of using sour cream and gf flour instead of canned chicken soup.

• Julia January 30, 2015, 2:58 pm

Angie, it’s the wild rice that should take the credit for the casserole looking so nice! 🙂

• Kiran @ KiranTarun.com January 31, 2015, 1:11 am

What a delicious collaboration with BHG, Julia!

• Matt January 31, 2015, 8:23 pm

Looks delicious!

• Chris @ The Café Sucré Farine January 31, 2015, 9:57 pm

Sounds delicious, what a great revamp of the recipe you’ve done!

• Lindsey @ American Heritage Cooking February 1, 2015, 11:59 am

What an absolutely genius idea for making a gluten free substitute for the cream of chicken soup! And it is so much better than the canned variety – less salt, more flavor and no preservatives! This is such a wonderful dish, Julia!!

• Daniela February 2, 2015, 1:58 pm

This is a whole fire work of flavors,textures and colors in just one dish.
    Great job, Julia, pinned!

• Cindy @ Pick Fresh Foods February 2, 2015, 7:35 pm

Julia, this casserole looks delicious! I love wild rice! You can’t its flavor and great nutrients. 😀

• Liz February 2, 2015, 8:46 pm

Congratulations, Julia!!! I’m sure you wow’d the BHG folks with this fantastic casserole! Perfect comfort food for a mid-winter’s dinner.

• Brianna February 3, 2015, 9:46 am

This looks so yummy!! Who doesn’t love casseroles during the cold weather??? Pinning this one!

• Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl February 3, 2015, 10:39 am

What a beautiful casserole! Looks delicious.

• John@Kitchen Riffs February 4, 2015, 11:36 am

Congrats on the BHG posting! And congrats on this recipe, too — it’s a real winner. I love wild rice — terrific flavor and texture. Thanks for this.

• Juliana February 4, 2015, 3:29 pm

I love rice dish and this with wild rice looks fabulous with chicken…and yes, congratulations on the BHG post…really great!
    Hope you are enjoying your week Julia 🙂

• Monica February 5, 2015, 2:42 pm

I love wild rice and what a great substitute for the canned soup. It looks fabulous!

• Kim Boland July 21, 2015, 12:22 am

I am hooked and can’t wait to try this!!! But do you happen to have this written in recipe form, pretty please? Sounds sooooo good!

• Alysia October 18, 2015, 2:27 pm

I would like to make this recipe but between all the links I have to click to get to the list of ingredients and instructions and then having to read through your post to incorporate the substitutions, it’s kind of a lot. If possible, could you repost the recipe listing the ingredients that include your substitutions and the instructions? Thanks!

• Charlyn Walter January 5, 2016, 2:46 pm

Looks delish. Will have to try as my daughter -in-law has celiacs. She is also allergic to beef, pork, milk and eggs. Luckily there is a non-dairy sour cream and cream cheese so that will work out beautifully.