Butternut Squash and Spinach Lasagna

I am now on INSTAGRAM <--- would love you to follow!

vegetarian lasagna recipe, spinach lasagna recipe, butternut squash lasagna recipe

This Butternut Squash and Spinach Three Cheese Lasagna recipe is healthy, vegetarian, perfect for the Fall and Winter season, and popular with kids! The lasagna combines Ricotta, Parmesan, and Mozzarella cheeses with spinach and pureed butternut squash to create the ultimate Fall & Winter comfort food.

three cheese lasagna recipe, vegetarian lasagna recipe, gluten free lasagna recipe

This recipe uses butternut squash puree, which you can easily make by following this easy step-by-step tutorial: how to make butternut squash puree. Or, you can always buy pureed butternut squash at the store.

easy spinach lasagna recipe

I also want to warn you that this is my most photo-intensive post yet with lots of step-by-step photos which I think are quite helpful. So, if you want to go directly to the bottom of the post (where the recipe is) – click here.

three cheese lasagna recipe, Fall lasagna, gluten free pasta

Make sure to use cooked lasagna noodles. Bring a large pot of water to boil, cook the noodles al dente, rinse each noodle with cold water and drain. This will guarantee the perfect texture!

butternut squash recipes, fall veggies, fall vegetables, gluten free vegetarian lasagna recipe

I also tested this lasagna with gluten free noodles, and it works great! I used Tinkyada brown rice lasagna noodles – almost the whole 10 oz package.

simple roasted butternut squash recipe, how to make lasagna from scratch

Bake the lasagna at 375 F covered with foil for the first 30 minutes, then remove foil and bake for additional 10 minutes.

spinach lasagna recipe, how to make gluten free lasagna

With this lasagna, you will have no leftovers!

kid friendly lasagna, healthy lasagna recipe, healthy recipes

And, now step-by-step photos and instructions that illustrate how to make this delicious lasagna from scratch.
First, prepare the butternut squash filling. Using food processor, combine butternut squash puree with Ricotta cheese, milk, salt and nutmeg. Add more milk if needed (to make the butternut squash filling very creamy).  Mix very well, taste and add more salt, if needed:

Making butternut squash puree in a food processor

Make spinach filling by mixing cooked spinach, Ricotta cheese, Mozzarella cheese, minced garlic, salt and pepper:

Mixing spinach, ricotta cheese, and mozzarella cheese

Mixing spinach, garlic, ricotta cheese, and mozzarella cheese for the lasagna

Prepare a baking dish – I used a casserole dish 11 inches x 8.5 inches x 3 inches deep. Grease the bottom of the baking pan lightly with olive oil spray. Spread 1/3 of butternut squash filling on the bottom of the dish. Sprinkle lightly with mozzarella cheese.

Spread butternut squash puree over the bottom of the baking pan, then sprinkle some Mozzarella cheese on top

Cook the lasagna noodles according to the package instructions, rinse with cold water and drain. Top the first layer of butternut squash mixture with cooked lasagna noodles without overlapping – as you can see I used 3 noodles. Use as many noodles as you need for your baking dish.

Place 3 lasagna noodles over butternut squash

Spread half of spinach filling over the cooked noodles.

Spread spinach, ricotta cheese, and Mozzarella cheese mixture over lasagna noodles

Top lightly with Mozzarella cheese:

Sprinkle Mozzarella cheese over spinach, ricotta cheese and Mozzarella cheese mixture

Top with cooked noodles:

Place lasagna noodles over the spinach mixture

Spread another layer (1/3) of butternut squash mixture:

Spread more butternut squash puree over the lasagna noodles

Sprinkle lightly with Mozzarella cheese:

Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over butternut squash puree you just spread over lasagna noodles

Top with cooked lasagna noodles:

Place lasagna noodles over the butternut squash puree

Spread spinach mixture then Mozzarella cheese over lasagna noodles

Top with the final layer of cooked noodles:

Top the spinach mixture with lasagna noodles

Spread a generous amount of butternut squash filling (the remaining 1/3) over this final layer of noodles:

Spread butternut squash puree over lasagna noodles

Sprinkle with grated Parmesan and remaining Mozzarella cheese (about 1/2 cup of Mozzarella):

Sprinkle Mozzarella cheese over butternut squash, vegetarian lasagna recipe, gluten free lasagna recipe, butternut squash lasagna recipe, pasta dishes

Generously sprinkle the cheese with Italian seasoning, paprika, basil:

Sprinkle spices over the top of Mozzarella cheese, pasta dinner recipe, gluten free pasta, healthy lasagna recipe, simple lasagna recipe, gluten free lasagna recipe, Fall lasagna recipe

Cover lasagna dish with foil

Enjoy!

Butternut Squash and Spinach Lasagna

Total Time: 1 hour, 40 minutes

Butternut Squash and Spinach Lasagna

• Follow Julia on Pinterest and Facebook to get more recipes and dinner ideas for your weekly meal planning!

• Butternut Squash Filling:
  • 2 cups butternut squash puree (about half of squash)
  • 1 cup ricotta cheese
  • 1/2 cup milk (or more, if needed)
  • 1/4 + 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • Spinach Filling:
  • 1 cup cooked spinach (8 oz uncooked)
  • 1 cup ricotta cheese
  • 1 cup mozzarella cheese
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • pepper, to taste
  • Other Ingredients:
  • 10 oz lasagna noodles, cooked (for gluten free, use Tinkyada brown rice lasagna noodles)
  • 1 and 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese (or more)
  • 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (on top)
  • Italian seasoning
  • Paprika
  • Basil

1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
  2. Butternut Squash Filling:
  3. For this filling, you will need to have pre-cooked butternut squash puree. Using food processor, combine 2 cups of butternut squash puree with Ricotta cheese, milk, salt and nutmeg. Add more milk if needed (to make the butternut squash filling very creamy). Mix very well, taste and add more salt, if needed.
  4. Spinach Filling:
  5. Combine spinach, Ricotta cheese, mozzarella, garlic, salt and pepper. Mix, taste, and add more salt and pepper, if needed.
  6. Cooking lasagna noodles:
  7. Bring a very large pot of water to boil, and cook lasagna noodles according to package instructions. Rinse in cold water, drain. Using knife, trim noodles to fit your baking dish (if necessary).
  8. Lasagna assembly:
  9. Prepare a baking dish - I used a casserole dish 11 inches x 8.5 inches x 3 inches deep. Grease the lasagna dish lightly with olive oil spray. Spread 1/3 of butternut squash filling on the bottom of the dish. Sprinkle lightly with mozzarella cheese. Top with cooked lasagna noodles without overlapping (I used 3 noodles).
  10. Spread half of spinach filling over the noodles. Top lightly with Mozzarella cheese. Top with cooked noodles.
  11. Spread another layer (1/3) of butternut squash mixture, then sprinkle lightly with Mozzarella cheese. Top with cooked noodles.
  12. Spread the remaining half of spinach filling over the noodles. Top lightly with Mozzarella cheese. Top with the final layer of cooked noodles.
  13. Spread a generous amount of butternut squash filling (the remaining 1/3) over this final layer of noodles, sprinkle with grated Parmesan and remaining mozzarella cheese (about 1/2 cup of mozzarella). Generously sprinkle the cheese with Italian seasoning, paprika, basil.
  14. Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 30 min. Remove foil and bake additional 10 minutes.

PINTEREST | FACEBOOK | GOOGLE+ | TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | BLOGLOVIN’

• Monique November 8, 2014, 9:54 am

Will DO:)
    Great tut too Julia.

• cheri November 8, 2014, 12:23 pm

Hi Julia, love this combination, looks delicious! I have the same casserole dish too!

• Matt November 8, 2014, 8:16 pm

Oh I need to make this!

• Lindsey @ American Heritage Cooking November 8, 2014, 11:17 pm

This looks amazing, Julia!!!! I love all the flavors and the colors and the CHEESE!!!!! Pinned!

• Daniela November 9, 2014, 8:42 am

A fantastic combination, Julia.
    Full of flavor, colorful and healthy.

• Ashley November 9, 2014, 7:28 pm

I absolutely LOVE the sound of this Julia!! I cannot get enough of creamy butternut squash puree in pasta and this looks just perfect with the spinach!

• Julia November 11, 2014, 2:56 pm

Creamy butternut squash and pasta is a magic combination!

• Chris @ The Café Sucré Farine November 9, 2014, 9:38 pm

This is beautiful and looks amazing Julia, love the colors and the great nutrition!

• Dina November 10, 2014, 6:23 am

Wow, this looks delicious! I think I will cook something similar today 🙂

• Julia November 11, 2014, 2:56 pm

It’s very good – I hope you like it!

• Shashi @ runninsrilankan November 10, 2014, 2:21 pm

Love the sound and flavor combo in this vegetarian Lasagna, Julia!

• Julia November 11, 2014, 2:55 pm

Thank you, Shashi!

• Deborah Levesque November 16, 2014, 4:23 pm

This is a must try! Do you know if it freezes well?

• Julia December 2, 2014, 3:27 pm

Yes, this will freeze well!

• Carolyn November 22, 2014, 1:46 pm

Can you use no boil lasagne noodles?

• Julia December 2, 2014, 3:26 pm

Carolyn, no boil lasagna noodles will not work here. Here is why. I did use no boil lasagna noodles in the past with other lasagna recipes (such as with tomato and ground beef sauce and bechamel sauce), and my experience is that you need much more moisture in the sauce for instant noodles to work. The lasagna filling here is not that moist, so I don’t think no-boil lasagna noodles will work here – there is just not enough moisture in the lasagna filling to make those no-boil noodles cook through.

• Emily Fowler January 27, 2015, 5:12 am

Just to let you know, I made this with ‘no boil’ noodles and it’s perfect – delicious and moist 🙂

• Stephanie December 23, 2015, 9:40 am

I imagine you could soak the no boil noodles first to ensure the dish stays moist.

• Kim Kidd November 26, 2014, 4:22 pm

How long should this bake if it’s been in the fridge overnight? I am making it tonight as part of our “turkey boycott Thanksgiving”! Thanks….

• Julia December 2, 2014, 3:24 pm

My response is too late since Thanksgiving is over, but I love your turkey boycott Thanksgiving! Bake it for the same amount of time as the recipe indicates. As you can see, all the ingredients are pretty much pre-cooked, you’re baking it just to reheat the lasagna the right way and to melt the cheese on top!

• sharon November 27, 2014, 4:57 pm

Question can I use instant lasagna noodles?

• Julia December 2, 2014, 3:22 pm

Sharon, I haven’t tried this recipe with instant lasagna noodles (you mean no boil noodles, correct?) However, I did use no boil noodles in the past with other lasagna recipes (such as with tomato and ground beef sauce and bechamel sauce), and my experience is that you need much more moisture in the sauce for instant noodles to work. The lasagna filling here is not that moist, so I don’t think no-boil lasagna noodles will work here – there is just not enough moisture in the lasagna filling to help those no-boil noodles cook through.

• Tracy Z December 1, 2014, 9:32 am

Just made this with my daughter who loves squash. Thank you for the yummy recipe! Even the others who don’t really like squash gave this an ok:)

• Julia December 2, 2014, 3:19 pm

Tracy, thank you so much for letting me know that you made this and liked it! And, an “OK” is a great praise from someone who doesn’t like squash! 🙂

• Elisa December 2, 2014, 1:46 am

That sounds delicious! I haven’t had lasagna for almost a year, since I recently found out I am celiac; I do best when I keep entirely grain-free, but I think for the holidays I might just try this with gluten-free lasagna 🙂 Thanks for the recipe!

• Julia December 2, 2014, 3:18 pm

Yes, this is a great recipe for gluten free lasagna – in fact, I used gluten free lasagna noodles for this lasagna – that’s what you see in these photos! It doesn’t really matter which noodles to use though, both regular and gluten free ones will work!

• Grace December 2, 2014, 1:16 pm

Has anyone tried halfing the recipe?

• Julia December 2, 2014, 3:16 pm

Grace, the recipe can be easily halved, if you’re using a smaller dish, or, you can use even the same baking dish but the lasagna will be shorter and flatter.

• Cora December 6, 2014, 9:14 am

Ricotta and I don’t get along well. Is there something I can use in it’s place?

• Kristy December 30, 2014, 3:04 pm

Try cottage cheese as an alternative.

• Molly December 8, 2014, 1:32 pm

Do you have any recommendations for a substitute for ricotta cheese? I have a ricotta cheese disliker in my household.
    Thanks!

• Kristy December 30, 2014, 3:04 pm

You can almost always substitute cottage cheese for ricotta.

• pragati December 18, 2014, 9:07 pm

hello Julia,
    great step by step photos..i love a spinach based lasagna and the squash makes it even more colorful.
    Gooey comfort food – perfect for winter!

I am bookmarking this pronto!

cheers,
    pragati

• Barbara Blakeman December 21, 2014, 3:50 pm

Julia- your recipe is fantastic. I’ve doubled the recipe for the two mixtures and frozen my second batch to have some on hand to whip up the dish for a quick week night dinner. Well done!
    Barbara

• Megan December 21, 2014, 6:21 pm

Should I freeze this after baking or before?

• Kristy December 30, 2014, 3:06 pm

Sorry if I’m answering for Julia but I would freeze it before. The baking is really just to warm it all up & melt the cheeses.

• Elizabeth January 8, 2015, 7:48 pm

For Julia or anyone who has frozen the unbaked dish–what temp and time do you cook the frozen dish at?

• Sara @ Don't Feed After Midnight January 26, 2015, 2:33 pm

Oh man, this looks totally mouth-watering!! Definitely giving it a try very soon 🙂 Thanks for sharing.

• Sheila February 1, 2015, 12:15 pm

I made this yesterday and it turned out beautifully. I used whole wheat noodles and I loved it. So good!

• Lisa February 2, 2015, 2:44 pm

I love the look of this, please can you give me the quantities in grams/ml’s. I can’t wait to taste it. Thankyou

• Janette February 7, 2015, 9:36 pm

I’ve been looking for more recipes with butternut squash! Thanks for sharing! Gonna make this one soon for sure!

• Meg February 8, 2015, 12:31 pm

Hi recipe looks great, cant wait to try! But a note…not gluten free with the pasta.

• TJ February 15, 2015, 12:22 pm

She used gluten-free noodles.

• james February 13, 2015, 9:56 pm

i just made this, its really nice, just make sure you dont use a container thats too large, as i did, things were spread too thinly, also i dont use salt cause of BP, but it is still good without 🙂

• Melissa February 25, 2015, 10:33 am

I made this last night and it was SO GOOD. Thanks for the recipe!

• Jeralyn February 26, 2015, 5:49 pm

I figured the calories on the myfitness pal recipe calculator to be 349 calories per serving, with 25 grams protein. Not bad for all that cheese!!!!!!!!!

• Ashley March 2, 2015, 3:20 pm

I made this yesterday – Amazing!! I can’t wait to go home and have leftovers tonight 🙂 Thanks for the recipe!

• Catherine March 7, 2015, 8:04 am

Looks delish, and perfect for this cold weather! Hub is low carbing it these days, so I’ll try it with zucchini strips. Thanks for the recipe!

• deb March 19, 2015, 6:11 pm

Made this last night – sounded better than it tasted. Rather bland and i think might be better with half the amount of butternut squash puree. The consistency was too sloppy.

• Diane Redmond March 20, 2015, 4:35 pm

Is there anyway I can get the nutritional facts on this recipe? Cooking for a diabetic.

• Lauren June 2, 2015, 3:09 pm

Made this but I added brown sugar to the squash purée… It was a hit and I will definitely make it again!

• Erica June 11, 2015, 1:34 pm

Made this last night, its delicious!! I think the separate butternut squash puree recipe is unnecessary. I roasted my squash and mashed it up with the ricotta and milk right away (wanted texture vs. smooth squash.) Just in case people get intimiadated by the idea of another big step – it isnt! Otherwise followed the recipe as is and it was amazing! Lasagna is always labor intensive but its so worth it. Love love love!

• Laura June 23, 2015, 8:27 pm

Made this tonight and it came out amazing! Incredibly delicious and nice way to go meatless. I did deviate from the recipe slightly. In making my puree, I used butternut squash, light cream, butter and salt. I used two cups of ricotta for the spinach filling and used oven ready noodles. To add more moisture for the noodles to cook, I poured little cream in between each layer. I will certainly be making this again! Thank you 🙂

• Audrey June 28, 2015, 5:54 pm

Hi, just a quick question about the cooked spinach. Did you saute or steam it?

• Janet July 12, 2015, 3:00 pm

I’m wondering if I can use rice milk?

• Debbie August 25, 2015, 12:39 pm

Can this be frozen both before and after cooking?

• Diane September 11, 2015, 1:18 pm

It looks amazing! I’m going to make it today. Could I double it (big family) and if so what size pan would I use?

Thank you!

• Raphaelle September 18, 2015, 12:06 pm

This is the best lasagna i’ve made in a long time! Thank you!

• Emily September 21, 2015, 10:52 am

I have a bunch of sweet potatoes could I sub those for the butternut squash?

• felicia | Dish by Dish September 22, 2015, 10:19 am

Hi Julia! This lasagna looks amazing!

I’d love to include your recipe in a butternut squash round up I’m doing for Parade Magazine this month.

If you’re fine with it, I’d love to use one of your photos with a link back to your original post (http://www.juliasalbum.com/2014/11/butternut-squash-and-spinach-lasagna/)

Let me know your thoughts, and thanks so much!

Felicia

• Lyndsay September 23, 2015, 1:57 am

Just to let you know that Pinterest is blocking this recipe as it claims it may lead to spam!

• alice September 27, 2015, 6:09 pm

Think you can sub pumpkin puree for the squash puree?

• Kelly September 28, 2015, 12:37 pm

Can you use canned pumpkin in place of canned butternut squash? I’ve heard most canned pumpkins are a mix, regardless? Would pumpkin change the dish entirely?

• Laura September 28, 2015, 6:43 pm

I made this for dinner and it was delicious!! I ended up using a whole (smaller) squash and a package of frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained. The squash purée was so tasty I was eating it with a spoon! Great for my dad who’s watching what he eats. This is a keeper!

• Kristen September 29, 2015, 9:05 pm

I just made this recipe using sweet potato purée (since I couldn’t find butternut squash purée and didn’t have the time to make it) and I added ground turkey for my carnivorous boyfriend . I also doubled the recipe and cannot wait to have this over and over! Perfect Fall recipe to share with loved ones!

• Christine October 5, 2015, 9:14 pm

Loved this recipe! I made just a few changes: I added an egg to the squash mixture, and to add some more sauciness to the dish, I whipped up a bechamel sauce and poured some on top before serving. Thanks a bunch!

• Katie October 6, 2015, 6:37 pm

Making this right now. All assembled. Made my own squash puree. Also put sliced italian sausage links in because my husband doesnt believe in vegetarian! Everything looks great. Easy to assemble. Thanks for the recipe and great pictures.

• kim October 12, 2015, 7:21 pm

I made this today as part of our thanksgiving feast. When I tasted it, my jaw dropped! It is so delicious! I believe this will be a regular in my rotation. I think it would be perfect for potlucks as well as family gatherings.
    It came together easily, not time consuming in the least, and easy on the pocket.
    Thus is five stars plus.
    Thanks for a great dish.

• Laura October 14, 2015, 12:47 pm

Making this a second time for dinner tonight 😀 Also, any leftovers taste awesome the next day!

• Valerie October 16, 2015, 12:07 pm

Hi! I made this recipe and our family loved it! I actually film a weekly recipe review video over on my Youtube channel, where I test out recipes to see if they are family-friendly, so if you’re interested I featured your recipe here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIxA6Pwmld0

Thanks for sharing such a delicious treat with us!

• Ashley October 21, 2015, 11:51 pm

Can almond milk be used as a substitute in this recipe?

• nora October 24, 2015, 1:19 am

Just made it & ate it! Super yummy. I had to use 1 bag of market pre-rinsed spinach & probably could’ve used a second bag…but we like spinach here. 1 bag just wasn’t quite enough.

• Janice October 24, 2015, 7:04 pm

Made this tonight just as described. I wasn’t a fan of pureeing the butternut squash…I felt the end product too squishy and slippery in the end. I also found that many of the herbs I sprinkled on top, got burnt when baking…so next time I’d probably mix them in to one of the layers. Nice flavor and love the concept!!

• sarah October 25, 2015, 7:45 pm

I thought this was okay. I thought it was missing flavor and was a bit too cheesy. I added tomato sauce to the top, and it tasted a lot better.

• Mary October 26, 2015, 3:40 pm

Have you made this with fresh homemade noodles? Trying it now and really debating if boiling is necessary as I’m rolling out the noodles.
    Thanks.

• Barbara Little October 29, 2015, 11:52 am

I found this recipe yesterday and shared it with my daughter via email. We both made it last night and everyone raved (well, except for picky eater hubby who won’t touch cooked spinach or any kind of squash – his loss!) I used whole wheat lasagna noodles and they were delicious. I plan to double the amount of greens next time. All I had on hand was a mixture of baby kale, spinach and chard which worked beautifully. Thanks for such a fabulous recipe!

• Linzy1032 November 17, 2015, 10:31 pm

I do not cool at all and saw this recipe and thought I would give it a try. OMG ITS AMAZING!! If I can make this anybody can. Ill never eat meat lasagne again.

• diana November 28, 2015, 4:08 pm

Made this and it was delicious!! I mashed the roasted squash with a fork to maintain texture & it was perfect. Can’t wait to make it again!

• Dawna November 30, 2015, 5:49 pm

Trying this recipe tonight! Smelled so good just in the prep stage. Very excited.

• Aman Bhavsar December 2, 2015, 1:01 pm

I made this dish and everyone loved it, I added a lot of extra cheese than said in this. And personally I felt like nutmeg really ruined the taste of what it could have been, but overall it is a very great recipe.

• Ann Welker December 24, 2015, 9:53 pm

Thanks for such a great recipe. I prepared it tonight and am refrigerating until tomorrow when I can bake it off for our Christmas dinner.

• Valerie January 7, 2016, 8:52 pm

Thanks for the delicious recipe! I made it the other day and absolutely loved it. I could have eaten the whole pan myself 🙂
    I did change your recipe a bit using cottage cheese and adding in a few extra vegetables.

• Jon January 10, 2016, 10:46 am

Made this last night but also added some homemade tomato sauce (from our homegrown San Marzano’s) and a little smoked paprika. Massive flavor explosion!

• Kiki January 15, 2016, 7:27 am

I just made this for friends last night and it was delicious! I’ve Pinned it and will definitely be adding this to my repertoire!

• Brenda January 21, 2016, 11:47 pm

I tried this but since I’m trying (yes, trying) to go Paleo, obviously, regular lasagna noodles are not going to work. I found some almond flour noodles and used them and WOW!!! It was so good!!! My roommates were floored when I told them about the noodles. Yes, I know cheese isn’t Paleo but it’s the one thing I can’t give up. LOL Love this recipe and it gets 5 thumbs up from us.

• Jessica January 22, 2016, 1:18 pm

Do you think adding some tomato sauce to this would work? I wonder if it might cut all the carb and creaminess a bit, and I love tomato sauce in lasagna. Thanks!

• Brenda January 23, 2016, 10:12 am

Not sure if I posted this somewhere or not so forgive me if it’s a duplicate. I made this for a house dinner for my roomies and it went over do well they want me to make it again. I picked it because one of the roomier is Vegetarian, another is trying to remove gluten and it made a good main dish. However, as I’m TRYING to go Paleo (sorry, can’t give up my cheese tho), I’d found some Almond flour lasagna noodles at Whole Foods and dieing to have an excuse to try them. They were wonderful!!! In fact, 2 of the roomies couldn’t believe there were no noodles in it. Getting ready to go shopping to get more ingredients to make this for a football party. Thanks so much for the recipe!!!

• Brit January 24, 2016, 9:17 pm

I’ve never commented on a recipe, and I’m not a vegetarian, but I made this lasagna tonight because it looked interesting. Thank you so much. This is delicious! The flavor a are so bold, but they balance each other so well. I might like this better than regular lasagna!

• Lauren February 11, 2016, 10:40 pm

Most of my recipes come from those I find on Pinterest. I have never posted a comment after a recipe even though most are decent. But I made this tonight and it was INCREDIBLE so I just had to comment!!! This will be a new staple. I made it just as listed and my hubby and I just loved it. You won’t miss the sauce at all. THANK YOU!

• Natalya March 3, 2016, 3:21 pm

Used this recipe as a template, utilizing whole wheat noodles, less cheese, coconut/almond milk, sweet potato instead of squash (all I had) and it was fabulous. The flavor combination was still there and I was pleasantly surprised how well it turned out! Will definitely make again as we are cutting down on meat at our house!

• Julie March 6, 2016, 8:52 am

This looks amazing and definitely on my to do list!!

Is it possible to make this with zucchini noodles or another vegetable noodle substitute?

• Desiree March 21, 2016, 8:12 pm

I just made this, following the recipe directly. While I liked it okay, I definitely would put in more spinach. I would also add the spices to the different layers, not just on top and I would omit the nutmeg; I prefer savory over sweet. Overall, it’s a good recipe and I may try it again.

• Arleny AP March 27, 2016, 11:08 am

Will a 9 by 13 pan do? Don’t have that size pan.

• Cassie March 30, 2016, 8:05 pm

So I don’t usually leave comments (and I cook daily), but had to on this! OMG this is THE best lasagna recipe I’ve ever found. As much as I cook, and as many lasagnas I’ve tried, I can’t seem to get lasagna to taste the way I like. This!? I could eat the entire pan!!! This will forever be my go-to lasagna. At first I figured it would be one of those dishes that tasted all healthy and flavorless, but it’s EXACT opposite! Hearty as any other lasagna, and the taste is magnificent. I didn’t cook my spinach, but it cooked in the oven. This was amazing. Now excuse me while I go eat the rest of the pan.

• Julia May 25, 2016, 6:47 pm

Cassie, I am so glad you loved the recipe! 🙂 What a nice comment – it made my day! I love this lasagna, especially in the Fall. One of my favorite ways to use butternut squash.

• Brittany April 12, 2016, 10:26 pm

I used the no boil noodles because other reviewers said it worked. DON’T do it! The flavors of this dish are so so so good but the noodles are still crunchy! I’m very sad…will make again sometime with cooked noodles.

• Julia May 25, 2016, 6:44 pm

Hi Brittany – I’ve only made this recipe with cooked noodles and there is really not enough moisture in the ingredients for no boil noodles. It’s great that no-boil noodles worked for others, but I would stick to cooked lasagna noodles.

• Tanya May 24, 2016, 9:57 pm

Love the recipe for the puree. Made this as per instructions the other weekend (I used fresh pasta sheets – only sub I made). It’s good. SUPER creamy. I think next time, I need something tangy to break through the creamy. Maybe goat cheese with the spinach?

• Julia May 25, 2016, 6:42 pm

Tanya, I am glad you liked the recipe. I love goat cheese – it should work well in this recipe. Goat cheese is a relatively thick soft cheese, so I’d use a smaller amount than 1 cup and see if I need to add more after that.

• Tzivia July 1, 2016, 9:37 am

Omg wow looks really way good and that spinach is added to this dish yummmm gotta try to make this for fall and winter my mouth is totally watering right now thanx lots for posting Julia darlin

• Lysa July 5, 2016, 7:49 pm

Has anyone tried adding just a bit of tomato sauce on top?

• Julia July 6, 2016, 6:42 pm

I don’t think the tomato sauce would work in this recipe. 🙂