Asian Beef with Mushrooms & Snow Peas

Asian mushroom dish, Mongolian beef, mushroom in Asian sauce, Asian vegetables, gluten free recipe, gluten free Asian dish

Asian Beef with Mushrooms & Snow Peas – delish and easy-to-make! Tender mushrooms, crisp snow peas, and thinly sliced sirloin steak strips sautéed in garlic.

Asian appetizers, Asian vegetables, Asian mushrooms, mushrooms and beef, garlic beef

This delicious gluten-free recipe is my new favorite homemade Asian dish!  Mushrooms go beautifully with beef, snow peas and Asian sauce.

Asian Beef with Mushrooms & Snow Peas

MY OTHER VIDEOS

Here I’m using Tamari sauce to make a base for a stir fry sauce.  Tamari is basically a gluten free version of soy sauce, but regular soy sauce is much saltier than tamari. Keep that in mind, if you decide to use soy sauce in this recipe – if you do, use low-sodium soy sauce, or use less of soy sauce and more olive oil (or water it down with water) and don’t salt the meat or vegetables during the cooking process.

Asian garlic sauce, tamari sauce, brown sugar, ginger, garlic, Asian beef

You can use pretty much any type of beef in this recipe as long as you slice it thinly: flank steak, sirloin steak strips, any other kind of steak, or boneless beef. I find it the easiest to thinly slice the beef while it’s still partially frozen and thawed just briefly in the microwave. That keeps beef pretty solid and makes slicing the meat thinly a pretty easy task.

how to cook Asian beef and snow peas, step by step photos, gluten free Asian recipes

Asian recipes, Asian dinner, Chinese beef with snow peas, Asian beef with snow peas

Asian Beef with Mushrooms & Snow Peas

Asian Beef with Mushrooms & Snow Peas

• Follow Julia on Pinterest and Facebook to get more recipes and dinner ideas for your weekly meal planning!

• Homemade Asian Sauce:
  • 1/2 cup tamari (or low-sodium soy sauce)
  • 5 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 6 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon ginger
  • 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
  • Beef:
  • 10 oz snow peas
  • 4 tablespoons olive oil
  • 10 oz mushrooms, sliced thinly
  • 1 pound beef, thinly sliced (sirloin steak strips, flank steak, or any other steak)
  • 2 cups cooked rice

1. Combine all the sauce ingredients in a bowl - whisk to combine. Set aside.
  2. Bring water in a medium pan to boil. Add snow peas, boil them for 5 minutes, drain. Set aside.
  3. Heat a large skillet until hot, add 2 tablespoons olive oil - it should sizzle. Immediately add thinly sliced mushrooms - cook them on high heat, turning occasionally, until they brown nicely. Salt them midway, a little bit (not too much salt, as you will be adding tamari sauce later). Remove mushrooms to a bowl.
  4. To the same skillet, on high heat, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil, which will sizzle right away. Immediately add thinly sliced meat. You might want to do this in 2 batches, because you will want each slice of meat to touch the bottom of the skillet and for meat slices not to be crowded. This will ensure that meat will brown on high heat. Cook meat on one side until it browns nicely. Turn over all meat slices to the opposite side, and cook more, on high heat, until all slices brown nicely. Remove this batch to a bowl. Add a second batch of meat, and repeat.
  5. Return all of the cooked meat back to the skillet. Add the snow peas and cooked mushrooms, then the sauce. On high heat - stir everything to combine, for about 1 minute. Turn off heat. Cover the skillet with a lid.
  6. Serve over rice.

PINTEREST | FACEBOOK | GOOGLE+ | TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | BLOGLOVIN’

• MB September 29, 2014, 7:29 pm

Julia, looks fantastic! I adore your cooking, so simple and flavorful- we LOVE your Spicy Asian Noodle recipe and make it frequently- so fast and yum 🙂

• Julia September 30, 2014, 2:58 pm

MB, thank you so much for such a sweet comment! 🙂 I am glad you enjoy my recipes. They have to be simple – I work full-time and have this site too! 🙂

• ahu @ ahueats September 29, 2014, 10:11 pm

wow! I don’t cook meat at home all that often for a number of reasons but this looks great! Flank steak is one of my favorite cuts!

• Julia September 30, 2014, 2:59 pm

You know, I don’t cook meat often either, but I do for my husband because he doesn’t think a meal is a meal without meat. 🙂

• Cindy @ Pick Fresh Foods September 30, 2014, 11:57 am

Julia, this dish looks so tasty. I love the savory flavors of mushrooms and tarmari. Pinning

• Julia September 30, 2014, 2:59 pm

Cindy, thank you!

• What a tasty dish! Lovely combo of flavor, and terrific pictures. Thanks.

• Kiran @ KiranTarun.com October 2, 2014, 6:42 pm

Aaah, so delicious. Browning meat is the key to every non-veg stirfrys 🙂

• Ceecee November 2, 2014, 7:35 pm

I made this recipe tonight and it was fabulous! I did make one substitution: 2 1/2 Tbs of oyster sauce and 2 1/2 Tbs of Hoisin sauce, in lieu of the brown sugar. After checking the labels of both products and finding that they both contained sugar, I felt comfortable making the substitution. I really enjoy Asian cuisine and this was a real treat!

• Julia November 3, 2014, 2:56 pm

I am glad you liked it! I am sure oyster sauce and Hoisin sauce work great in this recipe! I have to be really careful about sauce because I am gluten intolerant, so only tamari works for me in this recipe. Most oyster and Hoisin sauces do contain gluten, as far as I know.

• Paula Coxwell May 16, 2016, 5:12 pm

CeeCee, I am making this dish tonight and will use the Hoisin and Oyster sauces as you suggested. I expect a favorable meal.

• Rachelle Shockey (@MommyImHungry) November 15, 2014, 8:45 pm

Loving this! I used shrimp and tofu then added water chestnuts, served over asian noodles. YUM!

• Linda November 17, 2014, 7:24 pm

This is a keeper! Fantastic. So much better than heavy soy sauce. My snow peas turned to mush, however. What did I do wrong?

• kathy furlan December 2, 2014, 4:05 am

Hi just wondering if you can substitute the sugar for stevia or some other sweetener or leave it out altogether. Would it change the taste too much? Thanks

• Anne Forbes December 27, 2014, 6:41 pm

This sounds so good. Has anyone tried making it and keeping it warm in a slow cooker? I would love to make this for one of our work potlucks but want to make sure it would hold up being on a low heat for several hours. Any suggestions? Thanks.

• Andrea December 28, 2014, 5:23 pm

Wanted to know if you have a recipe book in store would love to have it for family.

• Meri Morris December 30, 2014, 1:13 pm

This was fabulous! Followed recipe to a T and it turned out great. Also good the next day warmed up!

• Octav January 6, 2015, 3:37 pm

Hello, Julia, I would like to know if the ingredients are for 1 or more persons? I think I wanna cook this for my girlfriend’s birthday and I would like to know 😀

• Glenda Gay February 5, 2015, 6:54 pm

This is yummy . I added udon noodles at the end and it was delicious. Thanks for the recipe.

• Lisa H. February 8, 2015, 12:28 am

Did you use fresh or ground ginger? Looks delicious!

• Julie June 16, 2015, 6:25 pm

I would love to know this too, did you use grated ginger or powdered?

• Silv February 19, 2015, 4:19 pm

Made this a couple of times – soo delicious! I could personally do without the rice wine vinegar taste, though – could I substitute something else for that? I find it detracts too much from the the rest of the flavors.

• Ruby March 1, 2015, 7:15 pm

Found this recipe on Pinterest and made it right now! Delicious! Will be a repeat in my house! Thank you!

• Carmen H. March 24, 2015, 7:26 pm

Omg !!!!
    I absolutely love your recipe,so delicious
    and easy to prepare.Thank You ☺

• Rebecca Oja April 3, 2015, 8:59 am

OMG. This was so good! I did do 2 things differently though…
    1. I omitted the extra salt and added crushed black pepper during the browning of the mushrooms as well as the beef.
    2. I didn’t boil the snow peas.(I was worried they’d lose their crunch!) I just added the raw snow peas on top of the beef in the skillet during the last 2-3 minutes of browning. After adding all remaining ingredients, stirring, gently, for 2 minutes, placing a cover on the skillet, then turning the heat off, I let it sit for 2 more minutes and…Awesome!!!
    This is a keeper! Thanks for the delicious recipe- easy, too!

• leah van horn July 19, 2015, 3:42 pm

this recipe caught my eye on Pinterest. I made it this morning for my dinner tonight. The only thing i changed is i used Hoisin sauce instead of the Soy Sauce version and i added sauted yellow onions. Very good. Thanks so much!

• Terry July 19, 2015, 5:26 pm

Super tasty, easy, delicious!!!

• Joan July 28, 2015, 7:15 pm

This is delicious! Any combo with garlic and ginger is so good! Cooking the beef separate is brilliant! I might thicken it up next time with a little corn starch in the tamari mix. Can’t wait for my dad to visit because he loves snow peas! This one is a keeper. Thank you!

• Sandy August 31, 2015, 11:31 pm

Made this for dinner today, great recipe!!! I would definitely make this again.

• Diann September 9, 2015, 8:28 pm

I made this for dinner tonight and it was absolutely awesome! My hubby loves veld it as well. The only thing I did different was I thickened the sauce with a bit of cornstarch. Great recipe! I will be making this again and again!

• leona hardiman October 4, 2015, 10:26 pm

Tried your reciepe tonight! It was great, will have again soon. Only one problem.. the meat was alittle tough. Any sugestions?

• Margareth December 19, 2015, 8:58 am

This recipe is a delight!!
    My husband and I loved this recipe.

• Jackie December 21, 2015, 5:45 pm

This was delicious! Thank you!

• Meri December 21, 2015, 7:08 pm

I love this! I have made this several times and it is always fantastic! My husband loves it as well and he doesn’t always like Asian food!

• Leah January 1, 2016, 11:41 am

Looks awesome! going to make it right now!! two questions: will pepper steak work and can i use sugar snap peas instead of snow peas??
    thanks!!

• Amy February 4, 2016, 8:09 pm

I made this recipe tonight and it was epic! I used half low sodium soy sauce and half water because my grocery store didn’t have tamari. My daughter’s friend was over for dinner, and she ate a ton of it… she kept digging in for more! (and she is a very small girl.) I will definitely be making this recipe again!!! Thank you for such a great recipe!!!

• K Smith February 18, 2016, 11:30 pm

So good and easy! I used low sodium soy sauce and flavor was great. I also skipped the step of boiling the snow peas; just sautéed for a couple minutes after the mushrooms. Hubby, our 3-yr-old and I all loved it – thanks!!

• Julia June 28, 2016, 6:39 pm

I am glad you enjoyed it!

• Kathy E. March 22, 2016, 10:10 pm

Fabulous! I’m going to add some broccoli florets to the leftovers tomorrow!

• Julia June 28, 2016, 6:28 pm

Broccoli is a great addition!

• Emily April 5, 2016, 10:58 pm

Any idea of the nutritional values? Calories, carbohydrates, protein per serving? It was delicious!!!

• Keena April 11, 2016, 12:08 pm

Sounds like a really great recipe! By any chance do you know the nutritional value of the recipe??

• Kim May 17, 2016, 6:35 pm

Made this tonight will deer steak and fresh snow peas. The family loved it!

• Julia June 28, 2016, 6:26 pm

Thank you, Kim, I am glad your family liked it!

• Karyn McDuffie June 8, 2016, 12:47 pm

Is that fresh or ground ginger?

• Julia June 28, 2016, 6:25 pm

That’s ground ginger.

• Cindy June 13, 2016, 7:09 pm

This was delicious! I made your recipe but I added broccoli at the end with the mushrooms and snow peas and I put this over orzo, it is a keeper!

• Julia June 28, 2016, 6:23 pm

Broccoli is a great addition here, Cindy. Love your idea of serving this over orzo!

• Patty Seymour June 19, 2016, 11:34 pm

Awesome recipe !! I used leftover rare steak from the steak house dinner out. Added some green onions, sesame oil and a little corn starch to the sauce. Couldn’t get enough. Thanks !

• Kelly June 26, 2016, 11:35 pm

What could you sub for the brown sugar ? I don’t eat sugar

• Julia June 28, 2016, 6:24 pm

Can you eat honey? Honey will work great, too.

• Victoria Elder August 5, 2016, 5:32 pm

Really enjoyed this sauce except it was WAY too salty (and I am a salt freak) because I only had regular soy sauce on hand. Very correct not to salt the beef or vegetables at all. Did add a bit of sesame oil & sauteed some thin-slice onions & red pepper with the snow peas. Also felt that the flavor of the soy sauce was too dominant so will probably thin with some water next time. And there WILL be next time!

• Rachel August 8, 2016, 10:54 pm

I made this tonight and it was SO GOOD!! Definitely a keeper. I only used 3T of brown sugar and 3 cloves of garlic, and it was delicious! Even my ultra-picky 3 year old tried some. Success! Thanks for sharing!

• Noreen Lull September 9, 2016, 5:31 pm

I want to make this but dont want to buy rice vinegar as will probably never use it more that once or twice. Can u use regular vinegar? Can u reply by e-mail. Thaks

• Leah January 16, 2017, 8:57 pm

I just made this recipe for my lunch and it is soooo good! I was separating into my containers and finally just had to have a serving. I substituted broccoli because I needed to do something with it. I also took the suggestion and added water to th low sodium soy sauce. This will be made again!

• Julia January 31, 2017, 2:51 am

Thank you, Leah! I am so glad you enjoyed the recipe! 🙂

• Mary Beth January 29, 2017, 7:24 am

Just tried this recipe. Easy to put together at the end of a work day. It was delicious without any changes. But I will add the hoisin and oyster sauces and some red pepper the next time I make it. They are ingredients we will like very much.

• Julia January 30, 2017, 11:17 pm

Hoisin and oyster sauces are really delicious, I agree! 🙂 This recipe was intended to use really simple and basic ingredients. 🙂

• Kathy February 4, 2017, 7:10 pm

Oh my goodness…… make this for dinner this evening. Sooooo good. Only thing I did differently was to thicken the sauce with corn starch. Yummmm. Will defiantly make again and again. Thank you for this delicious receipe.

• Julia February 6, 2017, 3:07 am

Thank you, Kathy! Glad you liked it! Corn starch is always great for thickening the sauces!

• Alisa Ewert May 12, 2017, 4:05 am

Learning new dish provide me too peace and this is always sources of joy to visit your blog. Thank You

• Season C July 24, 2017, 10:19 pm

This was delicious! I used chicken breast instead of beef (because I already had it). My daughter’s friend was over. She ate 3 helpings and asked me to send the recipe to her mom! Thank you very much.