Simple red wine mushroom sauce recipe

Mushroom sauce recipe, red wine mushroom sauce, oyster mushrooms

Look at those beautiful oyster mushrooms on the photo above!  I just love all types of mushrooms and use them in a lot of my recipes. I’ve made mushroom soups, mushroom pasta, mushroom pizza, mushroom ravioli, and many other dishes that have not yet made it to my site. But what I especially like about mushrooms is that they work great as flavorful and easy-to-make side dishes to be served with steaks, pork chops, chicken, duck, etc. Today’s dish is one of those easy and delectable side dishes: red wine mushroom sauce recipe with a little bit of cream.

Mushroom sauce recipe, red wine mushroom sauce, oyster mushrooms

This is one of my favorite ways to serve mushrooms alongside grilled steak, veal chops, and other meats. Here, I just happened to have oyster mushrooms, which is what you see on the photos, but this recipe also works great with regular white (button) mushrooms.

Mushroom sauce recipe, red wine mushroom sauce, oyster mushrooms

MY OTHER VIDEOS

What’s also cool about this recipe is that you can stop at any of the 3 steps and serve these mushrooms in 3 easy different ways as described below:

1) Heat olive oil in a large skillet, add oyster mushrooms. Cook on high heat for about 4 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste. You can actually stop right here and use it as-is as your side dish. Your mushrooms will look wonderfully delicious like this:

Mushroom sauce recipe

2) Or you can continue and add 1/2 cup of wine, close the lid and let mushrooms and wine simmer for about 10 minutes covered until wine is not red any more and becomes brown in color and infused with wonderful mushrooms flavors. You can stop cooking right here and use this as a sauce, it’s yummy and will look like this:

Mushroom sauce recipe

3) Or you can continue and add heavy cream, stir well, and cook on low for 2 minutes to infuse flavors, season with salt and pepper, and there you have your mushroom cream sauce, which is super delicious:

Mushroom sauce recipe

Mushroom sauce recipe

Yield: 4 servings (as side dish)

Mushroom sauce recipe

• about 2 dozen oyster mushrooms or white (button) mushrooms (1.5 lb)
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/2 cup red wine
  • 1/4 cup heavy cream
  • salt and pepper

1. Heat olive oil in a large skillet, add oyster mushrooms. Cook on high heat for about 4 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste. You can actually stop right here and use it as-is as your side dish.
  2. Or you can continue and add 1/2 cup of wine, close the lid and let mushrooms and wine simmer for about 10 minutes covered until wine is not red any more and becomes brown in color and infused with wonderful mushrooms flavors.
  3. Add heavy cream, stir well, and cook on low for 2 minutes to infuse flavors. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Notes

Adapted from Food Network

PINTEREST | FACEBOOK | GOOGLE+ | TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | BLOGLOVIN\’

• Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen January 29, 2014, 12:56 am

Ahh…the French way to serve up steaks and chops! Mushroom sauce is the way we most enjoy our steaks. Definitely on the menu for our Valentine’s Day dinner in. (We do two V-Day dinners every year. One where hubby takes us out and one where we cook together at home which is so much fun. We love avoiding crowded dining rooms and overworked restaurant staff!) Thanks for sharing, my dear. Love the inviting photos and all the tips!

• [email protected]'s Recipes January 29, 2014, 7:49 am

This is great to serve with some pan seared chicken breast!

• Padaek January 29, 2014, 8:32 am

Just love mushroom sauce and these look so delicious! Oyster mushrooms are one of my favourite shrooms – so distinct in flavour. Yum-o and thanks! 🙂

• Lindsey @ American Heritage Cooking January 29, 2014, 10:03 am

This mushroom sauce looks amazing! I love how easy it is! I would spread this on chicken or steak or maybe even just mashed potatoes. 😉

• Deb January 29, 2014, 12:28 pm

A perfect recipe to serve with homemade pasta! I have just found next Monday’s meatless dinner recipe!

• [email protected] Riffs January 29, 2014, 5:30 pm

I make all three versions of this, and often. The last is my favorite, although the wine version is awfully good too. Super post — thanks.

• Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies January 29, 2014, 8:06 pm

Mushrooms are one of my favorite foods, so I know I’d love this! Something magical happens when you cook mushrooms with red wine. 🙂

• [email protected] January 30, 2014, 10:06 am

I don’t even need any meat to go with this! I could eat a whole plate of mushrooms in red wine/cream sauce! Yum!

• Consuelo @ Honey & Figs January 30, 2014, 6:56 pm

The mushroom cream one sounds like the most delicious side dish ever! If only I could mop some bread in it… yum! ; )

• veganmiam.com January 31, 2014, 5:11 pm

I found some pink oyster mushrooms last summer at a Farmer’s Market and regretted not using them in time, they shriveled the next day I bought them. I love oyster mushrooms, they are a great “meaty” alternative! And love red wine, too! This mushroom sauce is great with mashed taters and a lovely vegan pot pie 😉

• Ashley February 1, 2014, 9:18 pm

Mmm I love mushrooms – I could eat them all the time. This sauce looks just perfect Julia – love the little touch of cream that’s in here! And the red wine is always so good in sauce!

• Jesse April 11, 2014, 4:34 pm

Just made this tonight and tasted great. I notice in the second photo after the wine has been cooked it looks like there’s more oil in the pan compared to the first photo.

Any reason for this or is that just the liquid from the mushrooms coming out?

• Julia August 18, 2014, 2:45 pm

That’s not oil actually, but wine combined with the juices released by the mushrooms. It’s very yummy!

• Adele Hetzel August 17, 2014, 10:10 am

Hello Julia, I found your recipe on the internet whilst browsing for recipes for King Oyster Mushrooms and your mushroom sauce looks yum, definitely going to try it. Do you have any ideas of how one could preserve king oyster mushrooms in any way, either canning, pickled, relish, sauce, etc. I have a friend who grows KO mushrooms commercially and sometimes has a glut as a result of over production – which he feeds to his pet flock of geese!!! He has asked me to find a way to process these wonderful mushrooms. I made a sauce with them (before I saw your recipe) and it was rather a type of “concentrate” rather than a sauce that I am going to freeze and use in different ways later. There was just an urgency to process them before they went off. Please let me know if you can help.
    Thank you and kind regards, Adele Hetzel – South Africa

• Julia August 18, 2014, 2:43 pm

Hi Adele, I actually have a friend who likes to go mushroom hunting and she gets a lot of mushrooms that she can’t possibly use right away so she cooks some of them or makes them into a mushroom soup, and then freezes them. Because mushrooms are cooked, they still have a lot of liquid in them so when cooked they freeze really well. I guess you can also dry mushrooms – I sometimes buy dry mushrooms in the stores.

• Anita Medford May 4, 2015, 10:10 am

I have enjoyed some of your recipes and look forward to trying more!!!

• Anita Medford May 4, 2015, 10:15 am

Looking forward to trying your recipes!’!!

• Tina nguyen November 26, 2015, 4:56 pm

Just finished making this with fresh blue gray oyster mushroom from farm share. I’m planning to eat it with brown butter mashed potatoes and ham for Thanksgiving. I’m in absolute heaven! Thank you for the simple but yet effective recipe. It is insane how the entire flavor get kick up when the cream get added.

• Sarah Young May 30, 2017, 6:24 pm

I love the recipe, can one do it vegan? Thanks