And the recipes for Christmas cookies continue! This is my second holiday cookie recipe of the season: peanut butter cookies with chocolate caramel candy, Rolos, decorated with sprinkles for a more festive look!
This is a more festive version of Martha Stewart’s peanut butter surprise cookies, and in my version I am using Rolos instead of peanut butter cups. It’s really been my most favorite peanut butter cookie recipe for the longest time, because these tasty cookies have such a great brownie-like texture and are very easy to make! I make them A LOT!
But, a Christmas cookie is not a Christmas cookie if it doesn’t have a lot of color to it, don’t you think? Generously sprinkling these cookies with colorful sprinkles accomplishes the purpose of making them look more festive and appropriate for the Holidays! You can add sprinkles to the Rolos only:
Or you can generously cover the whole cookie with sprinkles:
Peanut butter cookies with chocolate caramel candy, Rolos
Total time: 30 minutes
Adapted from Martha Stewart.
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature (let the butter from refrigerator sit on the counter for about an hour or so)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, sifted or aerated (see important note below!)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/6 cup granulated sugar for coating
- 18 Rolos, chewy caramels in milk chocolate, plus more – for snacking
Makes 15-18 cookies
Important note about properly measuring flour using measuring cups:
The proper way to measure flour using measuring cups is to aerate it first. This is done either by sifting flour, or aerating it by fluffing it up and whisking it well, then spooning it into the measuring cup, then carefully removing any excess flour with a knife. If you just stick that measuring cup in the bag of flour and scoop some out, you will get a lot more flour than what the recipe calls for. Do aerate the flour, or you will end up with dry dough!
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Using an electric mixer, cream peanut butter and butter in a mixing bowl until smooth. Add brown sugar; beat until combined. Add eggs and vanilla, and continue beating until creamy.
2) In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add dry ingredients from step 2 to wet ingredients in step 1, beating on low speed.
3) Prepare baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper or lightly greased aluminum foil. Place granulated sugar on a plate. Roll spoonfuls of cookie dough into balls, rolling each ball between your hands. Roll balls in sugar to coat them completely.
4) Place cookie balls 2 inches apart on a prepared baking sheet. Bake until cookies begin to puff up slightly, about 7 minutes. Remove from oven. Press one Rolo candy in center of each cookie. Return to oven; continue baking for about 5 more minutes, until cookies just turn golden brown and chocolate begins to melt. Remove from oven, sprinkle the melted Rolos with sprinkles, and let the cookies cool at least 10 minutes on baking sheet before transferring cookies to rack to cool completely.