Pumpkin waffles

Pumpkin waffles with maple syrup, Thanksgiving recipes, Fall recipes, pumpkin recipes

Fall and Winter are perfect time to make these pumpkin waffles! Imagine cozying up around the kitchen table with a cup of hot coffee or tea and, while it snows or rains outside, enjoying a slice of this waffle smothered in real maple syrup:

Pumpkin waffles with maple syrup, Thanksgiving breakfast recipes, Fall recipes, pumpkin recipes, buttermilk waffles

It’s a pure comfort! If you love pumpkin, you’re going to love these freshly made pumpkin-buttermilk waffles:

These little breakfast treats are full of pumpkin flavor as they are stuffed to the brim with pumpkin puree: I made sure to use as much pumpkin as I could fit into this recipe proportion-wise: 1 cup of pumpkin puree per 1 cup of buttermilk + 1 cup of flour.

They are spiced up with all classic Fall flavors: cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. I am also using just the right amount of brown sugar: 1/4 cup: not overly sweet but enough to make you feel like you’re eating a slice of pumpkin pie!

Top these waffles with REAL maple syrup, or just eat them plain with a cup of slightly sweetened tea or coffee. These are so delicious on their own, they don’t really need any topping.

Keep in mind that pumpkin waffles are moister and denser than regular waffles, so they will need a little longer time to cook in a waffle maker. Also, make sure to heat your waffle maker really well and spray it with non-stick spray before pouring the batter.

It is also comforting to know that these waffles have quite a few nutrients thanks to 1 cup of pumpkin! It’s a pretty healthy breakfast if you think about it! 1 cup of pumpkin , only 3 tablespoons of butter. Definitely more nutritious than your regular waffles. Can’t wait to try making these with whole wheat flour. I bet they would come out just as good as these, if not better!

Pumpkin waffles

Yield: 12 waffles

Pumpkin waffles

• 1 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ginger
  • 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1 cup pumpkin
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 3 tablespoons melted butter

1. Combine first 5 ingredients (dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg) in a medium bowl and mix thoroughly. Set aside.
  2. In a separate bowl, combine the next 5 ingredients (buttermilk, pumpkin, brown sugar, eggs, melted butter) and whisk to combine.
  3. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and whisk to combine.
  4. Preheat waffle iron until it’s very hot. When the waffle iron is very hot, spray it with non-stick spray. Pour just enough batter to cover the bottom, and cover with the top portion of waffle iron. Cook for a longer time than your usual regular waffles. Repeat.
  5. Serve waffles with real maple syrup or just eat them plain.

If you like PUMPKIN, I have a wonderful board on Pinterest for you:

MY BEST BOARDS ON PINTEREST:

I collect the most popular & repinned recipes on this PINTEREST board:
Follow my PUMPKIN board on Pinterest

It’s a PUMPKIN SEASON! Check out my PUMPKIN board on PINTEREST:
Follow my PUMPKIN board on Pinterest

If you love PASTA, see amazing recipes on my PASTA Board on PINTEREST:
Follow my PASTA board on Pinterest

• Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen November 23, 2013, 6:40 pm

Gorgeous! Love, love, love this recipe for Pumpkin Waffles, Julia! I enjoy reading about your thought processes as you developed your recipe. Glad you packed these with plenty of pumpkin for a tasty and nutritious breakfast. Cannot wait to make!

• Matt @ Runner Savvy November 23, 2013, 7:50 pm

Looks freaking delicious!

• Patty November 23, 2013, 8:18 pm

I love waffles but have yet to try them made with pumpkin but I think that is about to change!!! I bought some extra pumpkin at the market today and I think I know where I’m using it now!!! I could just dive into these amazing photos Julia :)

• Marina | Let the Baking Begin! November 23, 2013, 10:24 pm

You’re on a pumpkin roll!))) they look scrumptious!

• Natasha @ The Cake Merchant November 24, 2013, 12:11 am

I don’t have a waffle maker, but this recipe makes me want to get one! These look so good!

• Monique November 24, 2013, 8:41 am

Queen of waffles and pancakes for sure!

• Lindsey @ American Heritage Cooking November 24, 2013, 9:53 am

These are the perfect recipe to serve for breakfast the day after Thanksgiving! I can break in our new waffle maker and impress the in-laws at the same time. Once again, you’ve pulled through!

• Angie@Angie's Recipes November 24, 2013, 10:15 am

wow so much syrup for just one waffle…decadent!

• The Café Sucre Farine November 24, 2013, 1:05 pm

I would like these no matter what the weather was like, they look fantastic Julia! Your photos are mouthwatering!

• John@Kitchen Riffs November 24, 2013, 1:39 pm

Boy do these look good! I’ve never had pumpkin waffles (pancakes, yes; waffles, no). Gotta try this sometime! Of course I’ll need to get a waffle iron first, but you’ve inspired me! Really nice – thanks.

• Tash November 24, 2013, 3:35 pm

Ahhh, waffles! I have always wanted to make them but have always lacked the waffle iron. I keep meaning to get one! These look absolutely delicious and perfect for a cosy autumn/winter day by the fire with a mug of something hot!

• Deb November 24, 2013, 3:42 pm

I have a request for pumpkin waffles for Thanksgiving and sharing the recipe is just what I need to make my family a splendid morning treat!

• Ahu November 24, 2013, 4:30 pm

Beautiful! I love pumpkin and I may have to buy a waffle maker just for this!!

• Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com November 24, 2013, 10:10 pm

Oh my – simply gorgeous photos – these pumpkin waffles sound like bliss! Love that you used buttermilk in them – bet that made the pumpkin pop!

• Rosa November 25, 2013, 6:25 am

Tempting! Your waffles look wonderful.

cheers,

Rosa

• ela@GrayApron November 25, 2013, 11:36 am

Your waffles look great. Great idea to add pumpkin :))

• sarah k @ the pajama chef November 25, 2013, 1:10 pm

what a great breakfast! i wish i had a big plate of waffles right now!

• Denise Browning@From Brazil To You November 25, 2013, 5:08 pm

Beautiful and quite delish, Julia! What a great breakfast for Thanksgiving day. Happy Thanksgiving!

• Ari @ Ari's Menu November 25, 2013, 9:44 pm

Love pumpkin waffles!! You can keep the pumpkin coming all year long as far as I’m concerned!

• Suzanne November 25, 2013, 11:53 pm

It’s the perfect time to enjoy one of these waffles but I’m afraid I couldn’t stop at one :)

• Jessica April 5, 2014, 11:25 am

Just made these waffles and they are perfect!

• Katie October 11, 2014, 9:34 am

Thought I would leave a comment in case I wasn’t the only one, but I couldn’t get these waffles to work for me. I’ve tried them twice and they just won’t cook through. I leave them in long enough that the waffles are almost getting too dark/burnt on the outside and they are still not cooked through on the inside. I tried a different recipe to make sure it wasn’t my waffle iron and had no problems with that recipe. Bummer!

• Julia October 14, 2014, 3:02 pm

I am thinking maybe use more flour next time. Maybe the batter was too thin. I need to make these again to see if I run into a similar issue.

• Jill October 12, 2014, 9:33 pm

Amazingly good! I doubled the recipe, using 1 cup wheat and 1 all purpose flour. Added flaxseed meal and used milk plus lemon juice for the buttermilk. My entire family devoured these!!!

• Julia October 14, 2014, 3:01 pm

Jill, thank you – glad you liked it! Wheat flour would be perfect in these waffles!