Asian salmon with rice noodles and asparagus

Asian glazed salmon with rice noodles and asparagus, Asian food, Asian recipes, Asian salmon recipe, Asian seafood recipe, Asian fish recipe

If you don’t like salmon because it’s fishy or dry, you will change your mind after you try this Asian salmon recipe! The salmon here is very moist, flaky, juicy, and flavorful. The Asian sauce is smooth and silky, with just the right amount of garlic. The whole dish is very easy to make – I make this for dinner right after a long day at work!

The key to the moist and juicy salmon is to bake it at 350 degrees for only 15 minutes, and then broil it for 5 minutes (or longer if you like it more charred). This way you get the very best out of salmon: it will be moist and juicy (not dry), and it will also have a nice charred look, which is much more appetizing and pretty than if you just baked it.

I like to serve this salmon over a small bed of very thin rice noodles, which will absorb some of the sauce from the fish, and also the sauce that you will pour on top of salmon after condensing it a bit. You can serve any type of your favorite greens: cooked spinach, green beans, or Asian greens (baby bok choy, Chinese spinach, etc.). I only had asparagus, so that’s what I served it with. Enjoy!

Asian salmon with rice noodles and asparagus

Asian salmon with rice noodles and asparagus

Salmon:
  • 2 tablespoons sesame oil
  • 3 tablespoons honey
  • 4 tablespoons soy sauce (if you want to make this dish gluten-free, make sure to use gluten-free soy sauce, not a regular one)
  • 4 tablespoons rice vinegar
  • 4 cloves fresh garlic, minced
  • a pinch of ginger (powdered)
  • 1 and 1/4 pounds salmon
  • Rice noodles and Asparagus:
  • 8 ounces very thin rice noodles
  • 1 bunch fresh asparagus
  • salt & pepper
  • a drizzle of olive oil

To prepare the marinade and cook salmon:
  1. To prepare the marinade, in a medium bowl, combine the sesame oil, honey, soy sauce, rice vinegar, garlic, a pinch of ginger and whisk to blend.
  2. Place salmon in a baking dish, skin-side down. Pour the marinade over the salmon, cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
  3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake the salmon uncovered for 15 minutes at 350 degrees in the same baking dish in which you marinated it. Remove the salmon from the oven, pour the marinade from the baking dish into a small saucepan. Preheat the broiler.
  4. Slide the spatula under the salmon the remove the skin. Broil salmon (without the marinade or the skin) for about 5 minutes (or more, depending on your broiler), until it caramelizes nicely. Remove from pan.
  5. While the salmon is broiling, reduce the sauce (the marinade) in the sauce pan on the stove top by boiling it down a little bit. Be careful – don’t over do it – reduce it just a bit to have enough to pour over each of 4 serving of fish.
  6. During your salmon preparation process (baking and broiling) prepare rice noodles and asparagus:
  7. Cook very thin rice noodles according to package instructions, drain.
  8. Place asparagus in a glass baking dish, season with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil. Bake at 350 degrees (at the same time with salmon, but in a separate dish), until soft but still crispy.
  9. To serve:
  10. Place a scoop of rice noodles in the center of each serving plate. Put several sprigs of asparagus on the side. Place a serving of salmon on top of noodles. Pour the condensed sauce on top.

• Krista October 29, 2013, 5:25 am

This looks absolutely marvelous!! This is how I cook my salmon too – though sometimes I sear it with sea salt first and finish it in the oven. Either way, that lovely crust is the BEST! :-)

• Alla October 29, 2013, 8:02 am

I’m going to make this tonight! I love your asian inspired recipes, the peanut sauce salmon was also deeeeelishious.

• Alla November 5, 2013, 4:16 am

i made it and forgot to show you :) http://instagram.com/p/gD5EGuwqZO/
      With green beens instead of asparagus since my hubby is a baby with a juvenile palette was yummy! I should have seared it more at the end but was too hungry :) Last minute I threw sesame seeds on top just because they’re pretty and I don’t use them enough.

• Julia November 5, 2013, 11:36 pm

Alla, your salmon looks so delicious! It’s making me hungry. Green beans go so well with Asian flavors – yum!

• Monique October 29, 2013, 8:46 am

So appetizing..love rice noodles.. Who is your spoon holder?
    I could never take such a fabulous..shot(s) and hold a spoon..:)
    Wonderful!

• Julia October 29, 2013, 11:41 pm

Monique, the spoon holder is me – while the camera is on timer and on tripod. It was getting dark, and my exposure time was longer so I had to hold that spoon longer than I cared for. :)

• Monique October 30, 2013, 1:53 pm

Great idea!! Still darker? and look how brilliant the shots!

• Barb October 29, 2013, 9:11 am

This looks absolutely divine! A must try!

• Denise Browning@From Brazil To You October 29, 2013, 9:33 am

Although I don’t eat salmon, I have to say that this one looks absolutely fabulous. And the pictures make mouths water for sure.

• Yelena October 29, 2013, 9:43 am

We cook a lot of salmon in our house, it is delicious fish. Your recipe sounds very tasty, what’s not to like?-)) So good-)) Yummy! I wish we can have a lunch together-)

• Kiran @ KiranTarun.com October 29, 2013, 9:59 am

We love Asian style cooking in our household. This salmon looks so delectable :D

• Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes October 29, 2013, 12:56 pm

This looks so good! Love that you served it over rice noodles! GORGEOUS dish….

• Deb October 29, 2013, 1:05 pm

My family adores local salmon and I am always searching for new recipes to try. Atop a bed of rice noodles with asparagus would make them very happy!

• Angie@Angie's Recipes October 29, 2013, 1:09 pm

Love the idea of serving it over a bed of rice noodle.. The sauce looks so dang intriguing!

• Natasha @ The Cake Merchant October 29, 2013, 1:48 pm

I am always looking for good healthy fish recipes. My fiance doesn’t like salmon, but he likes Asian flavors and I bet I could convince him to eat this. It looks really good!

• Matt @ Runner Savvy October 29, 2013, 7:43 pm

This looks delicious!

• Ari @ Ari's Menu October 29, 2013, 11:54 pm

Gooorgeous action shots, and this looks absolutely delicious!

• GiGi Eats Celebrities October 30, 2013, 12:43 am

That salmon looks cooked to perfection!

• Tash October 30, 2013, 7:35 am

Oooh, this looks delish. I have been eating Asian-inspired food a lot recently; we’re homemade sushi fiends in this house and we like stirfries and noodle dishes a lot. I really like them because they’re usually healthy and light but packed full of flavour (even if I’m not good with chillis!)

• john@kitchenriffs October 30, 2013, 12:41 pm

Gosh, this is such a gorgeous looking dish! And the flavors all sound so enticing, too. Really first rate recipe – thanks so much.

• Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com October 30, 2013, 1:04 pm

Oh my – this is some GORGEOUS salmon! If only my screen was scratch and taste! :)

• Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl October 30, 2013, 5:23 pm

My husband doesn’t really like salmon but I’m hoping this recipe will change his mind, because goodness, just look at these pictures, it’s so beautiful!

• The Café Sucre Farine October 30, 2013, 7:13 pm

Julia, this looks just wonderful. I made an Asian salmon today too. To me, it’s the most wonderful flavorings with salmon. Love your photos, you make it look so enticing!

• Rosa October 31, 2013, 5:18 am

A delicious dish and great combination! I love salmon and noodles.

Cheers,

Rosa

• Laura Dembowski October 31, 2013, 1:01 pm

I love salmon and this seems like a great way to serve it! The rice noodles and asparagus are the perfect accompaniment.

• Irina @ wandercrush October 31, 2013, 3:33 pm

Who doesn’t like salmon?! Anyway, whoever doesn’t definitely will after this recipe… I love how well salmon takes syrupy marinades and sweetness. I’ve never served salmon over a bed of rice noodles, but it’s a great idea. Happy Halloween, Julia!

• Liz October 31, 2013, 9:35 pm

Julia, this is the BEST way to eat salmon! I tend to make a variation of your recipe over and over and over! And you’ve just made me very hungry!!! Beautifully done!

• Monique @ Ambitious Kitchen October 31, 2013, 9:44 pm

This is beautiful! I am just discovering your blog and am about to go pin crazy! :)

• K November 1, 2013, 3:03 pm

This is definitely making me drool – looks like a gorgeous recipe and great pictures :). But it was tagged on tastespotting at gluten free! Before any glutinos suffer, soy sauce contains (lots of) gluten. If you’re making this for some poor soul like my sister, you want to make sure to get gluten free tamari!

• Julia November 5, 2013, 2:24 am

That’s a very good point! The soy sauce should be gluten free and not contain wheat. You just educated me – thank you!

• Ash-foodfashionparty November 1, 2013, 3:28 pm

I can’t wait to make this. Looks so inviting and delicious. I pinned it the moment I saw and the pictures are great.

• Christin@SpicySouthernKitchen November 3, 2013, 6:40 pm

I always drool over your seafood recipes Julia and this one is no exception! Gorgeous! I never thought to put salmon over rice noodles. Love it!

• P November 4, 2013, 7:50 pm

This was great, I got compliments. Make sure you light a lot of candles if the house is closed up because the odor will linger for hours. Unless you want to smell it for hours. I put a few tablespoons of water in the marinade mix to stretch it to cover the salmon and all the noodles, it’s a little too scanty otherwise. I also put a tbsp. of cornstarch mixed with a bit of water, into the marinade to make it thicker. I also cooked the salmon at 385 degrees, along with roasted brussel sprouts and butternut squash , for about 20 minutes. Excellent!

• Julia November 5, 2013, 2:05 am

Yes, I keep my windows open when I cook. :) Good idea on adding the water – I’ve done it too, since the sauce can evaporate too much during the cooking process and when reducing it. Perhaps, I should add a note to the recipe about adding the water.

• Nami | Just One Cookbook November 7, 2013, 12:20 pm

You make Asian dish so beautiful…. <3 This is my first time seeing salmon (fish) over the noodles. It's a brilliant idea!!!! Not to mention, the flavor sounds delish. I want this for lunch today!

• Julia December 18, 2013, 3:28 pm

Nami, thank you! :)

• Marilynn December 15, 2013, 4:45 pm

I made this today with salmon caught in Alaska this summer and it was delicious! We substituted agave for honey and apple cider vinegar for the rice wine vinegar. It was so tasty and will certainly make again. I may add some sirracha to the next sauce. Look forward to trying more dishes. Thank you.

• Julia December 18, 2013, 3:28 pm

Marilynn, thanks for stopping by and such sweet comment! Good to know that agave and apple cider vinegar work great with this recipe – need to try that combination! Adding sriracha sounds like a brilliant idea!

• Paul McKay December 15, 2013, 11:51 pm

Tried it tonight and… Loved it! It browned wonderfully under the broiler, looked great and was delicious!

• Julia December 18, 2013, 3:27 pm

Paul, thank you! :) So glad you liked it!

• Carol January 3, 2014, 12:48 pm

This looks amazing and delicious! I’m trying it out for Sunday dinner. Thanks for sharing!!

• Julia January 3, 2014, 4:08 pm

Great! Let me know how it comes out! :)

• Jennifer Bostwick January 15, 2014, 8:22 pm

Made this tonight. Ah-Mazing! Thanks for the recipe.

• Julia January 16, 2014, 2:17 pm

Jennifer – thank you! Very glad you liked it!

• Aubrie January 17, 2014, 3:33 am

I made this for dinner tonight, it was divine, my husband was so impressed, thank you so much for the wonderful recipe

• Julia January 17, 2014, 2:36 pm

Aubrie, you are so welcome! So glad both of you enjoyed the recipe! :)

• Catarina January 30, 2014, 12:39 pm

Im making this for lunch right now for my brother & I, its amazing so far! & I told my boyfriend the recipe & he said “Oh my gosh, that sounds amazing you have to make it for me at least once a week!” Also, amazing pictures! :)

• Julia January 30, 2014, 2:23 pm

Catarina, thank you very much for such a sweet comment! It brightened my day. :) So happy you liked the recipe. Salmon once a week is not a bad idea – I used to have fish for dinner AT LEAST once a week, not so much lately, but really want to return to that old routine.

• Dana January 31, 2014, 9:38 pm

I can’t wait to make this! I’m going to make it with shrimp and I bet it will be delicious.

• Julia February 3, 2014, 3:18 pm

YES, this would be so delicious with shrimp!

• Therese February 13, 2014, 10:00 pm

Thanks for the recipe! Freakin’ delicious. I never minded my dry salmon before, but now I know what’s up!

• Julia February 17, 2014, 2:57 pm

Hi Therese, thanks for stopping by! So happy you liked this salmon recipe! :)

• Sandi May 20, 2014, 9:52 am

My husband said this is the BEST fish he’s EVER had! Will be making it again. I doubled the sauce and served it over rice – my husband loved the sauce over the rice.