Greek yogurt muffins with Nutella

Greek yogurt muffins with nutella

Do Greek yogurt and Nutella go well together? Can you combine the two and eat them for breakfast? The answer is yes, if you’re talking about these muffins, made with Greek yogurt and a swirl of Nutella in the center. From now on, this could well become your favorite way to combine Greek yogurt and Nutella.

Greek yogurt muffins with nutella

The batter for these delicate muffins is made with 2/3 cup of Greek yogurt + only 1/3 cup vegetable oil, making a total of 12 muffins. As a result, the muffins acquire very much cake-like texture: they are not very heavy, nor are they dense. Adding a swirl of Nutella in the center makes them almost … dreamy creamy.

Greek yogurt muffins with nutella

MY OTHER VIDEOS

I have to admit, when I made these muffins I liked them so much I kept them all to myself. So, if my husband is reading this, he might doubt that these ever existed, since he never saw one. Boy, did he miss out on them!

Greek yogurt muffins with nutella

Topped with brown sugar and cinnamon streusel, these Nutella muffins will melt in your mouth, and you will find yourself looking for excuses to have one for breakfast, another one for lunch, and a third one for dessert. You might even be tempted to hide these from your family and become uncharacteristically selfish.

Greek yogurt muffins with nutella

I highly recommend you make these muffins with Greek yogurt and Nutella! Especially if you have a big 2 lb can of Greek yogurt – do use 2/3 cup of it on these! You won’t be disappointed. They’ve become my favorite muffins this summer!

Greek yogurt muffins with Nutella

Greek yogurt muffins with Nutella

Total time: 60 minutes

Muffins:

• 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted or aerated – see the note below
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 eggs
  • 2/3 cup Greek yogurt (I used 2% plain, Chobani Greek yogurt)
  • 1 jar Nutella

Topping:
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup flour (or more)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons butter, room temperature

Important note about properly measuring flour using measuring cups:

The proper way to measure flour using measuring cups is to aerate it first. This is done either by sifting flour, or aerating it by fluffing it up and whisking it well, then spooning it into the measuring cup, then carefully removing any excess flour with a knife. If you just stick that measuring cup in the bag of flour and scoop some out, you will get a lot more flour than what the recipe calls for. Do aerate the flour, or you will end up with dry dough! 🙂

Use one regular size muffin pan (12 muffins)

Makes 12-14 regular size muffins

To make muffins:

1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line muffin cups with muffin liners.

2) In a medium bowl, mix together flour, white sugar, salt, and baking powder.

3) In a separate large bowl, add vegetable oil, 2 eggs, and Greek yogurt and whisk to combine.

4) Add flour mixture from step 2 to the liquid mixture in step 3 and mix just enough to combine.

To make the topping:

Combine brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and butter in a small bowl. Mix until you have crumb-like mixture.

6) Fill muffin cups with the muffin batter about 1/3 full. Add a generous layer of Nutella. Add more muffin batter on top of Nutella to make muffin cups 3/4 full. Sprinkle the streusel topping over muffins. Bake for about 20 minutes in the oven.

Disclosure:
Chobani sent me several kinds of Greek Yogurt to play around with in the kitchen. The recipe, photos, and thoughts in this post are all my own. Aside from receiving a free product from Chobani, I was NOT compensated to write this post. I only write about things I love, and Chobani is one of my most favorite products.

PINTEREST | FACEBOOK | GOOGLE+ | TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | BLOGLOVIN\’

• [email protected] August 19, 2013, 1:25 pm

I add Greek yogurt to almost every muffin I make because it adds so much moistness and flavor. Adding Nutella makes them even more appealing as I love it — these look terrific!

• Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes August 19, 2013, 2:17 pm

It’s my hubby’s birthday and I’m seriously thinking about making these for him. He loves Nutella!

• Laura August 19, 2013, 2:19 pm

These look delicious! What size was your jar of Nutella? I have a warehouse-club size jar right now and I’m guessing the recipe needs less than that! 🙂

• Julia August 23, 2013, 2:48 pm

Oh yeah, the recipe does not need this much Nutella. I think I used the smallest size of Nutella jar and it was enough. Of course, you can always add a much more generous layer of Nutella in the center of the muffin. 🙂

• Anne ~ Uni Homemaker August 19, 2013, 2:28 pm

Julia this looks awesome! I love Nutella anything. Will be putting this on my to-bake list. Pinning! 🙂 Have a great week.

• Loretta | A Finn In The Kitchen August 19, 2013, 2:44 pm

Glad to see I’m not the only one that hides the good stuff! I guess that’s the benefit to working at home 🙂

• The Café Sucre Farine August 19, 2013, 2:50 pm

Julia, these look fantastic, I don’t think I would have shared them either. We won’t breath a word to your husband …….. 🙂

• Monique August 19, 2013, 4:29 pm

They look super happy to me:-)
    Can’t wait to try..everyone will love them here..

• Matt @ The Athlete's Plate August 19, 2013, 7:43 pm

Drool…

• Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen August 19, 2013, 9:26 pm

Beautiful muffins, girl! I love that you used yogurt. Pinning!

• Reeni August 19, 2013, 9:33 pm

So delectable with the Nutella swirl in the middle! That makes them extra special and totally irresistible!

• Liz August 19, 2013, 9:36 pm

I love streusel topped muffins, but the Nutella swirls reeled me in!!!

• Lindsey @ American Heritage Cooking August 19, 2013, 11:27 pm

These look so moist and fluffy! The top muffin actually looks like its smiling – only you could do that. I will absolutely be using some of my breakfast greek yogurt for these muffins!

• Asmita August 19, 2013, 11:35 pm

These muffins look divine!

• Ashley August 20, 2013, 6:15 am

I love baking with greek yogurt – and adding in some nutella sounds like a very very good idea!! And I also kinda love that your husband never got any of these : ) haha tricky tricky!

• Ari @ Ari's Menu August 20, 2013, 8:03 am

Ummm YUM! These look out of this world!

• [email protected]'s Recipes August 20, 2013, 9:07 am

Absolutely irresistible with nutella swirl!

• Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chef August 20, 2013, 11:35 am

pinned these to try! not sure what is better–the nutella swirl or the streusel topping! yum all around 🙂

• Deb August 20, 2013, 12:48 pm

What little lovelies! The crumb of the muffin is so tender, yogurt is just amazing in baked goods! What a gorgeous way to begin the day!

• Laura Dembowski August 20, 2013, 1:33 pm

These muffins look perfectly soft and fluffy! Love that is has a cinnamon sugar topping too!

• Lea @ Lea's Cooking August 20, 2013, 1:40 pm

Perfect shots Julia, and beautiful yummy muffins!!! These are on my to make list 🙂

• Yelena August 20, 2013, 7:20 pm

Greek yogurt is always in my shelf, I cook a lot with it. Muffing looks very scrumptious, moist and yummy-))

Hugs dear Julia,

Yelena

• Denise [email protected] Brazil To You August 20, 2013, 9:18 pm

Julia, my dear, Julia! You made me wish having these muffins for dinner. They are so smiling to me…

• Patty August 21, 2013, 11:38 am

I saw your muffins on Pinterest last night, of course I repinned them! But, just wanted to stop by to say how good they look;)

• Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies August 21, 2013, 4:17 pm

I love baking muffins with Greek yogurt! Now I’m going to start adding Nutella too because these look incredible! 🙂

• [email protected] August 21, 2013, 5:47 pm

These look terrific. Love the swirl! I really like the way yogurt lightens muffins. Such good stuff – thanks.

• Kelly @ IdealistMom.com August 21, 2013, 10:08 pm

Oh wow, these look soooo yummy! Pinning now 🙂

• [email protected] August 22, 2013, 4:00 pm

You have used two of my favorite ingredients, nutella and greek yogurt! Love this so much!

• Jocelyn @ BruCrew Life August 23, 2013, 2:06 am

These muffins look fantastic!! That swirl of nutella is calling my name! 😉

• zerrin August 25, 2013, 5:52 am

These look so fluffy Julia! I sometimes use regular yogurt, but never tried Greek yogurt in muffins. Must try it next time. Love the nutella in their center, just like a bonus! And the pictures are so tempting as always! Pinned!

• Tina @ Tina's Chic Corner August 26, 2013, 2:54 pm

Using yogurt or sour cream really makes a muffin so moist. These muffins look so moist, tender and delicious! Love the nutella in the middle too. Yummy! 🙂

• Nami | Just One Cookbook August 29, 2013, 1:12 pm

I love that these muffins have nutella inside and the cinnamon streusel on top! It’s the combination I like! The muffin looks very moist and oh I wish I have this with my coffee right now. 🙂

• Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl August 30, 2013, 12:02 am

The words nutella and muffins go together so well to me! YUM YUM YUM!

• Kiran @ KiranTarun.com September 3, 2013, 1:12 am

Greek yogurt muffins with nutella not only sounds divine but looks so so delicious!!

ps: love your new blog layout 🙂

• Michelle S June 5, 2014, 9:43 am

I made these last night and doubled it. They were very dense. I didn’t think I would get all the dry ingredients combined. While they still tasted good I feel the batter should have been thinner. What would you recommend? Milk? water? more yogurt? I wanted a light muffin like that in your pictures.

• Julia July 8, 2014, 2:54 pm

Yes, adding any of that (milk, water, yogurt), just by a little bit could’ve helped thin the batter. I think what happened to begin with is that you measured too much flour into the cup. Using just cups to measure flour tends to overpack it and, in fact, you’re using way too much flour than what recipe calls for. I would sift the flour first or aerate it before scooping it. I just added a note to this recipe about it.