This is one of my favorite, classic recipes for peanut butter cookies, and this time I added some M&M’s of dark chocolate variety to dress them up a bit. You can’t really go wrong combining dark chocolate candy and peanut butter, so cookies came out perfectly! They have a moist texture, almost like a brownie, especially if you manage to eat them the same day (which is, believe me, hard not to do). After the first day, they get crispier and will keep that amazingly soft and chewy texture. This is such a great recipe – everybody loves it, even those who are not big fans of peanut butter. It’s just an all around great cookie!
Do not skip the step of rolling the cookies into small balls and then rolling them in granulated sugar: that’s what makes them look so light in color and pretty! If you don’t roll the cookie dough balls in sugar, your cookies will come out much darker.
By the way, look whom I saw today on my way to the doctor’s office: little baby elk or deer (I can’t really tell the difference) prancing around:
On my way back, I saw the same baby elk/deer again, hanging out casually in the same spot eating some grass and enjoying morning sun – just being cute and adorable.
I am planning to make these cookies tonight and hope you do some time too! Enjoy!
M&M peanut butter cookies
Total time: 30 minutes
Adapted from Martha Stewart.
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature (let the butter from refrigerator sit on the counter for about an hour or so)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/6 cup granulated sugar for coating
- a package or two of M&M candy (dark chocolate kind)
Makes 15-18 cookies
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Using an electric mixer, cream peanut butter and butter in a mixing bowl until smooth. Add brown sugar; beat until combined. Add eggs and vanilla, and continue beating until creamy.
2) In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add dry ingredients from step 2 to wet ingredients in step 1, beating on low speed.
3) Prepare baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper or lightly greased aluminum foil. Place granulated sugar on a plate. Roll spoonfuls of cookie dough into balls, rolling each ball between your hands. Roll balls in sugar to coat them completely.
4) Place cookie balls 2 inches apart on a prepared baking sheet. Bake until cookies begin to puff up slightly, about 7 minutes. Remove from oven. Press several M&M candies on top of each cookie. Return to oven; continue baking for about 5 more minutes, until cookies just turn golden brown and chocolate begins to melt. Remove from oven and let the cookies cool at least 10 minutes on baking sheet before transferring cookies to rack to cool completely.