I’ve been craving for a simple vegetarian dinner that I could just whip up in the matter of 30 minutes, and so this very easy chickpea vegetable curry recipe with quinoa was born. Let not the simplicity of this dish fool you, though: it is still a very filling veggie dish, and it rightfully deserves to be called a main course. You won’t go hungry after enjoying curry flavors, chickpeas, mushrooms, and spinach in a creamy coconut broth, on top of protein-rich quinoa.
Chickpea and vegetable curry with quinoa
Prep time: 30 minutes
Makes 6 servings
- 1 can coconut milk (13.5 fl oz or 400 mL)
- 1 can chick peas
- 2 tablespoons and 1 teaspoon red curry paste
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon or more brown sugar
- 1 quarter lemon squeezed or more
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 bunch spinach, cleaned
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- salt to taste
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
1) Heat coconut milk in a large pan until it boils and reduce heat to simmer. Add next 7 ingredients to the coconut milk: chickpeas, red curry paste, tomato paste, brown sugar, lemon juice, chili powder, basil. Mix everything together until even consistency.
2) Add spinach, chopped green onions and sliced mushrooms to the coconut milk mixture, bring to boil, reduce to simmer. Simmer for about 15-20 minutes, until mushrooms are cooked, stirring occasionally. Add salt and pepper to taste.
3) In a separate pan, combine 2 cups of water and 1 cup of quinoa. Bring to boil, reduce heat to simmer and cook until all liquid is absorbed and quinoa is cooked and fluffy.
Note: If you like your curry a bit runny, add a little bit of water or milk in the end to reach the desired consistency. If reheating the next day, you will likely have to add a touch of water or milk to the curry as it will thicken overnight in the refrigerator.
To serve, place a scoop of quinoa into the middle of each plate. Top with chickpea curry.