I love my Williams-Sonoma 6 mini-tartlet pan, and I can’t get enough of it: it’s so convenient to bake individually sized little tarts that look so pretty (both sweet and savory). This tart pan makes 6 mini-tarts, 3 inch diameter each. This is the minimum number of tartlets that I will usually bake at any given time so it works for me. The pan is also non-stick, so there is never a problem with crust sticking. Here is the photo of this tart pan:
So, again, I made some breakfast tarts using this pan. With breakfast tarts, there are so many variations, each time there is a new twist or ingredient addition: about a month ago I made breakfast tarts with grape tomatoes, and then with bacon and spinach, and now these. Every time, the crust is flaky, crumbly, and this type of breakfast will leave you hunger-free for many-many hours, because you get a lot of things all in one: protein (eggs), vegetables, carbs (crust) – all these combined will keep you full longer. At least, they keep me full longer. I would never survive on yogurt, pancakes, or cereal for breakfast: I need something more substantial, with protein, such as eggs, and vegetables. Everything else plays supporting roles when it comes to breakfast.
Bacon and egg tartlets with Gouda cheese and green onions
Prep time: 35 min
Bake time: 30 min
Ingredients for tart crust:
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 9 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- 1 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon ice water
Ingredients for filling:
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup Gouda cheese, grated
- 4 slices bacon, already cooked and chopped
- 9 green onions (chopped)
- salt to taste
Preparing tart shells (6 tart shells, 3 inch diameter each):
1) Prepare savory tart crust using the recipe and the method described in my recipe here. The only thing different here will be the size of tart pan: instead of using one large tart pan, use 6 smaller individual tartlet pans (3 inch diameter each). Bake empty smaller tart shells for about 20 minutes. You don’t need to bake them to brown or golden color, because you will continue baking them once you put the filling in.
To make the filling:
2) Preheat oven to 350 F. In a small bowl, whisk together 2 eggs, heavy cream, milk. Add shredded cheese, bacon (cooked and chopped finely), green onions (chopped) and mix well. Add salt to taste, if desired.
3) Divide the egg mixture from step 2 into 6 equal parts and pour it into each of 6 tart shells.
4) Bake these egg tartlets for 20-30 minutes, until tart shell is golden brown and eggs are almost set.
5) Remove from oven and let it cool for 10 minutes on wire rack before serving.
More breakfast recipes:
- Apple cinnamon crepes, or apple pie – in a crepe!
- Crepes with ricotta cheese and blueberries
- Stuffed sweet potatoes for breakfast – with sausage and eggs
- Apple cinnamon yogurt pancakes
- Breakfast flank steak and eggs with guacamole
- Bacon and egg breakfast cups, baked, with spinach and cheese
- Baked egg cups with spinach, cheese, and grape tomatoes
- Breakfast tart with eggs, Gruyere cheese, leeks, thyme, and grape tomatoes
You might also like to check out this breakfast and/or dessert staple (crepes):