This egg tart makes an amazing Sunday morning breakfast and is easy to make, if you prepared the tart shell in advance (a day before). It also makes a great presentation. The tart shell is super crumbly and melts in your mouth. This is one of my most favorite breakfasts. I highly recommend you to make it.
This tart looks especially attractive today, after my husband and I had a night out with our friends at one of the best steak-houses in Phoenix. It’s been a very long time since we’ve gone out for dinner because I usually cook at home and actually prefer my own cooking to restaurant meals. But, after staying up late, eating too much, and talking for hours, it feels so good to enjoy this tart on a quiet morning, with a cup of tea or coffee, maybe even while reading a book.
Back to my recipe. I’ve made it many times, and it’s a fool proof recipe for a delicious breakfast. And, if you like eggs for breakfast, it is also a great way to make something different than just regular scrambled eggs and bacon.
Egg and Cheese Quiche Tart with Tomatoes
Prep time: 30 min
Cook time: 50 min
Ingredients for tart crust:
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 9 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- 1 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon ice water
Ingredients for tart filling:
- 1/2 of the whole leek, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup Gruyere cheese, grated
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 20 grape tomatoes, yellow and red
Preparing tart shell:
1) Prepare savory tart dough according to my recipe, shape the dough as a disk and put it into the tart pan. Refrigerate it for 2 hours or overnight, covered with plastic wrap, so that you can assemble it in the morning for breakfast.
2) Preheat oven to 400 F. First, precook the shell. Line the tart pastry with aluminum oil and fill with pie weights.
3) Place tart shell in the lower third rack and bake for 15 minutes. Remove the weights and foil, carefully make several holes in the bottom of the shell with a fork, without tearing the dough, and continue baking for 10 more minutes. Remove from the oven and cool completely.
To make the filling:
1) Preheat oven to 350 F. Cook chopped leeks in olive oil for 10 minutes until softened. Add finely chopped thyme to leeks. Let it cool.
2) In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, heavy cream, milk. Then, add cheese, leeks mixture, and salt and mix well.
3) Pour the mixture into the cooled tart shell, distributing leeks evenly. As you see on the photo below, the mixture does not come to the top of the tart shell edges, which is normal. Once it’s cooked, the egg mixture will actually rise.
4) Cut grape tomatoes in half. Arrange them on top of the tart, cut side down.
5) Bake tart for 50 minutes, until tart shell is golden brown and the filling top turns yellow-brownish and starts to rise, or when the tooth pick inserted in the middle of the tart comes out clean. Remove from oven and let it cool for 10 minutes on wire rack before serving.
Your breakfast is ready!